Honored Contributor

Re: Is SPF 15 or 30 in foundation really enough for UVA & B protection

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

It depends on your natural level of melanin and how much time you spend in the sun. I prefer something in the 40-50 range but I don't spend much time in the sun and am very pale. 

@jaxs momDark skinned people can get melanoma as well.

Where did I say they don't?

@jaxs mom  Not you personally saying it...didn’t accuse...most people assume darker skin=more melanin=stay in sun longer.

Honored Contributor

The problem isn't just being in the sun. It's being exposed to UV light. UV light (both A and B) is the number one source of skin aging. (I'm not even talking about the C word. I'm talking about looking older than you have to.) You still get UV radiation when you're in your car or by your window at home or work or outside on a partly cloudy day. Your DNA changes when exposed to UV, not just the sun, and a cascade of all sorts of collagen destruction starts rolling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_DNA_damage

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sun-damages-dna-in-skin-cells-long-after-exposure/

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/17458/1/Are-UV-Rays-Damaging-Through-a-Window.html

If you are using anti-aging products like retinol, retin A, or even antioxidants, there is no point in doing any of that if you are exposing your face to any UV light. Retinol and all hydroxy acid exfoliants make the skin more light sensitive and prone to such damage.

So it's not about whether you can see or feel the sun, it's about whether you can see any natural light. If you can, meaning: if it is daytime and not an eclipse and you're not sitting in your closet, you gotta wear sunscreen or you are undoing everything your serums and moisturizers are trying to accomplish.

Preaching to the choir, I know. Just wanted to emphasize all this for anyone who, like me in the past, might not realize that preventing daily incidental exposure is just as important as avoiding sunbathing at noon in baby oil on tinfoil.

For what it's worth, I get vitamin D through supplements and because my hands and wrists and limbs when they are exposed typically have no sunscreen on them.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

wrote:

The problem isn't just being in the sun. It's being exposed to UV light. UV light (both A and B) is the number one source of skin aging. (I'm not even talking about the C word. I'm talking about looking older than you have to.) You still get UV radiation when you're in your car or by your window at home or work or outside on a partly cloudy day. Your DNA changes when exposed to UV, not just the sun, and a cascade of all sorts of collagen destruction starts rolling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_DNA_damage

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/sun-damages-dna-in-skin-cells-long-after-exposure/

http://www.healthguidance.org/entry/17458/1/Are-UV-Rays-Damaging-Through-a-Window.html

If you are using anti-aging products like retinol, retin A, or even antioxidants, there is no point in doing any of that if you are exposing your face to any UV light. Retinol and all hydroxy acid exfoliants make the skin more light sensitive and prone to such damage.

So it's not about whether you can see or feel the sun, it's about whether you can see any natural light. If you can, meaning: if it is daytime and not an eclipse and you're not sitting in your closet, you gotta wear sunscreen or you are undoing everything your serums and moisturizers are trying to accomplish.

Preaching to the choir, I know. Just wanted to emphasize all this for anyone who, like me in the past, might not realize that preventing daily incidental exposure is just as important as avoiding sunbathing at noon in baby oil on tinfoil.

For what it's worth, I get vitamin D through supplements and because my hands and wrists and limbs when they are exposed typically have no sunscreen on them.

@Porcelain  ITA w/ all of this. Learned my lesson the hard way many years ago. If we convert just 1 person to be more careful w/ being diligent using spf, we’ve done our job today. Thanks. 😉

Honored Contributor

The big problem is many people think with higher SPF formulas of sunscreen, they can stay in sunlight longer without frequent reapplication. It may give you more protection from the sun based on the amount of time you spend outdoors, but most labels will say reapply frequently if outdoors for an extended period of time. So if you are outside for 2 hours or less, one application might be sufficient. If you are out between 10AM & 2PM, rays are stronger & higher so that 2 hour window might not cut it with one application. You may need another application of sunscreen.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I don't think sunscreen in foundation is enough. I wouldn't apply enough foundation to have the stated SPF on my skin. I also don't just count on sunscreen with an SPF 30 or SPF 50 either. When I take my dog for a walk I use a hat and sunglasses outside.

One thing that people don't think about is the UVA rays which can go through a glass window like a car. Even sitting in the window seat when flying in a jet can give you unwanted sun exposure as you are high up in the atmosphere where the air is thinner and the sun is stronger.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I don't think sunscreen in foundation is enough. I wouldn't apply enough foundation to have the stated SPF on my skin. I also don't just count on sunscreen with an SPF 30 or SPF 50 either. When I take my dog for a walk I use a hat and sunglasses outside.

One thing that people don't think about is the UVA rays which can go through a glass window like a car. Even sitting in the window seat when flying in a jet can give you unwanted sun exposure as you are high up in the atmosphere where the air is thinner and the sun is stronger.

@TY. ....and few people extend foundation from hair line to bra line. ****If you wear your hair short or “up”, don’t forget the back of your neck and back of ears.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch, everyone should have the Vitamin D level checked on a regular basis also because Vitamin D is not water soluble. Some people just take the supplement not knowing what their level is. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch, everyone should have the Vitamin D level checked on a regular basis also because Vitamin D is not water soluble. Some people just take the supplement not knowing what their level is. 

@Tricolor  I think, generally speaking, most adults don't get enough whether it's through lacking nutrition or not enough time spent outdoors.  I know the miniumun RDA has gone up as of a few years ago, but that doesn't mean everyone is up to date either.  And on the other side of the coin, too much of a good thing could turn it into a bad thing.  I know someone who had this kind of thinking and took it upon herself to supplement with 10,000 iu's.  She ended up with some kidney problems.  Gotta find that sweet spot and maintain it.

Honored Contributor

@MsCatLuver  One thing about using spf in foundation or alone is you have to reapply after 2 or 3 hours.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

People with Vitamin D deficiency (you need blood work drawn, don’t guess) should speak to their doctor on the dose of Vitamin D should be taken.

Please keep in mind the Vitamin D amounts added to pills like multivitamins & calcium pills and it should be D3 not D2 that should be taken. You should calculate how many total IUs daily should be taken of Vitamin D if you take a mutlivitamin and/or calcium pill(s).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼