New Contributor

Hi, I really love Purity, but was told this weekend that Philosophy is not cruelty free. I am mortified! How do I find out if this is really true?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Philosophy cruelty free?

Philosophy is not cruelty free. Go to Paula's Choice, then Beautipedia Reviews, then Testing on Animals. There are several other websites that can tell you, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Occasional Contributor

When reading Beautipedia, I saw that it is tested on animals. Regrettably I gave up on the brand years ago. Too many products - no results. {#emotions_dlg.mellow}

Honored Contributor

The first thing I do is check the company's website to see if they say whether they do or not. Then I also check to see who their parent company is, as often a company states they don't test but are still owned by a parent company that does. For some, this matters because you are still lining the pockets of those companies that continue to test on animals.

So to answer your question, on Philosophy's website it states the following:

"does philosophy test on animals? we absolutely do not conduct animal testing with philosophy products. we are fully committed to using alternatives to animal testing to ensure the safety of our products"

However, their parent company, Coty, does continue to test on animals when they sell to countries that require it, like China, if that matters to you.
Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 HappyDaze said:

The first thing I do is check the company's website to see if they say whether they do or not. Then I also check to see who their parent company is, as often a company states they don't test but are still owned by a parent company that does. For some, this matters because you are still lining the pockets of those companies that continue to test on animals.

"does philosophy test on animals? we absolutely do not conduct animal testing with philosophy products. we are fully committed to using alternatives to animal testing to ensure the safety of our products"

However, their parent company, Coty, does continue to test on animals when they sell to countries that require it, like China, if that matters to you.

That's interesting. Leaping Bunny is usually up to date, and Philosophy isn't on their list as being cruelty free either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

NO it is NOT cruelty free!!!!! . .................and it sells it's products in China that should tell you plenty..................and........Coty owns it {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Purity is just like Ivory liquid, use that and save money but they probably test on animals too

Honored Contributor

On 1/28/2015 NickNack said:
On 1/28/2015 HappyDaze said:

<p class="question">"does philosophy test on animals? we absolutely do not conduct animal testing with philosophy products. we are fully committed to using alternatives to animal testing to ensure the safety of our products"

That's interesting. Leaping Bunny is usually up to date, and Philosophy isn't on their list as being cruelty free either.

Well, honestly, I find their statement a bit vague as it does not really indicate if they test individual ingredients on animals, they just say "philosophy products" which kind of indicate to me the final product. I've read where many companies may not necessarily test their final product on animals but they will test individual ingredients in that product on them. Also, their second statement is kind of interesting too if you really think about what they stated. Personally, if I wanted to use their products, I'd delve deeper but since I know that their parent company tests, I don't need to go further than that to know it isn't for me.

Super Contributor

I hope they test their products to make sure they are safe for human use. I don't want to be the Guinea Pig. Philosopphy...please make sure they are safe before selling them to humans. Too many medications, foods, etc are not tested before being sold on the market. So many people are getting sick and dying from incorrect testing before being put on the market. I want to make sure it won't be harmful to my body before using it.

I hardly think it is necessary to mutilate innocent animals so you can purchase their beauty products.  There are many brands out there that are proven safe and NOT tested on animals.  If you think cruelty is ok, that is a disgrace!