Super Contributor

Is Philosophy body wash worth it?

I have seen many presentations of Philosophy, but have never purchased any of their products. I love shower gels and body washes, but so far I have never heard a host explain what makes Philosophy worth the price. They say it smells good and feels creamy, but how is that different from something like Dove body wash? 

If you love Philosophy, tell me why! 

Honored Contributor

Re: Is Philosophy body wash worth it?

I don't think so.  There are several nice soaps and body washes out there that work nicely and are less expensive.  Plus, the Philosophy bottles are so big that it's easy to tire of the scent long before the bottle can be used up.

Trusted Contributor

Great question.  I'll be curious how others answer.

I've tried Philosophy and, in my opinion, I don't really think it's worth the extra money.

I really did not find it any better than the body washes you would buy at Target, Walmart. 

The Philosophy team always states it's so moisturizing; however, I always have to use body lotion afterwards - otherwise my legs look dry and flaked.

I do think the name/packaging, etc. makes for a very nice presentation for gift giving.

Esteemed Contributor

I threw my big bottle out.  One shower and gone......................

Honored Contributor

My issues with it are the subpar ingredients like the sulfates, and the artificial dyes that give them their beautiful colors. 

Honored Contributor

I think whether something is worth whatever depends upon your personal feelings.  I think almost all body washes are grossly overpriced.   The only one I still buy occasionally is from Neutrogena. 

I do buy liquid facial cleansers  --  I end up going back to Purity again and again no matter what else I try, but my shower preference is the good old-fashioned cake of soap.

Respected Contributor

I do love the variety of the Philosophy body wash scents but I don’t think they are any more moisturizing than a body wash bought for less at the local store.  They used to have a chocolate scent (not the hot chocolate scent) that I adored but I haven’t seen that one for a few years. Sometimes I buy a set of smaller bottles at Christmas time for stocking stuffers.  

Honored Contributor

@PreKteacher   If you like sulfates in your body wash.  Sulfates are detergents.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Korres uses sulfates, but not the artificial dyes. Perlier uses both. 

Honored Contributor

Worth it?  Like anything else, that is a very subjective determination.

I think Philosophy is as good as the one you love using.  I have Gingerbread Man, Sweet Vanilla Fig, and Pure Grace Nude Rose in my linen closet 12 months a year so that I never run out -- I love them because the scents are divine, they clean excellently, they suds up abundantly, and they don't dry out my skin.

However, I tried a lot of their other varieties and loathed most of them:  Fresh Cream, Honey & Cream, and any of those summer or holiday scents, etc. I will never use these and others again!  For me, I either despised the scent, and/or they did not wash clean at all -- they left a smooth, silky residue on my body which just made toweling off a dirty mess.

Good luck!