Honored Contributor

Re: Is Exfoliation Necessary?

Exfoliation, for me, is necessary.  I'm 66 so have found it helpful as I've gotten older.  Think it helps with my other skin care and for when I apply makeup.  I do an AHA mask once a week and then maybe will do an AHA toner once about mid-week, if I feel like it.

What you use to exfoliate and how often depends on your skin and what it will handle.  If after reading all these posts you still want to try it, go with something gentle - not to grainy or strong - once a week and see how you do.

Honored Contributor

Yes, one should exfoliate.  There are two types, chemical and physical.  The experts recommend chemical exfoliation as physical tends to be too harsh.  Some of the harshness comes from us thinking scrubbing harder is better.  I JUST did this to myself and I know better Smiley Surprised   I keep asking myself "what was I thinking?".  Apparently I wasn't Smiley Sad  Google chemical exfoliation.  Watch You Tube videos.  Learn the difference between PHAs, BHAs and AHAs.  Read about Glycolic Acids.  The two toners I alternate are Kylie Skin Vanilla Milk Toner and Glow Recipe PHA Watermelon Toner.  Learn about working with your skin (giving it what it needs) vs against it (like removing oils it needs).  Fermented products, green tea, essences (they aren't exfoliators...I don't think) but they're an important step and are hydrating.  YTer James Welsh is a master at skincare!

Respected Contributor

@teganslaw  If you do decide to exfoliate, I would suggest a mild exfoliater that will not dry out your skin. I use it once a wk. & its also for sensitive skin or for women who prefer a mild exfoliater especially as we age as our skin thins out. Its by Tatcha called: "The Rice Polish Gentle". There are video's on the Q & youtube that will show you how to use this physical exfoliater. Its very mild & not grainy & does not dry out my skin. I use it once a wk.

It is expensive but you need so little & it lasts a very long time. HTH

Honored Contributor

@Kabella 

Totally forgot about Tatcha Rice Polish.  I use it every night.  It's so gentle and foamy that it's hard to remember it's an exfoliant.  And yes, its lasts forever.  I think I'm on my 2nd jar and I'm still about a month away from being out.  I'm going to not use it as often but it seems like I can feel the difference if I skip a night.  Maybe it's just my imagination???  LOVE TATCHA RICE POLISH

Respected Contributor

@monicakm  Yes, it can be used every night depending on skin type. I love it too & so worth the price because you only need a small amount with water to emulsify.

Honored Contributor

@Kabella 

Thanks!  I also use Tatcha's rice cleanser.  It was that along with a Pop Sonic (and me) that trashed my poor skin.  I must have been day dreaming and not paying attention to how long I was using it Smiley Surprised

Honored Contributor

DHC makes an enzymatic foaming rice powder cleanser (similar to the Tatcha powder) and it only costs $10 at the big "A".  I'm tempted to try it.  Great reviews.  

Esteemed Contributor

I appreciate all the responses. I'm going to check out various exfoliators and do some comparison. When I find something I like, I'll try it once a week or so and see how it works. I probably won't see immediate results, but after a few weeks should notice if there is a difference. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I'm not keen on most physical exfoliation. I use Paula's Choice liquid Bha 2% in the morning.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

People use to add sugar to their face cleaner,  why not try that?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.