Honored Contributor

Re: Is Exfoliation Necessary?

@Katcat1 wrote:

@teganslaw I have sensitive skin too so I only exfoliate one x a week or every 2 weeks; however, I just purchased this glycloic acid (sp?) cleanser for the facial skin.  It's by InstaNatural and for sensitive skin.  It will clean you skin like you won't believe.  I do not use it daily.  At first a couple x a week and now when I feel like it.  It does not have anything grainy in it  but it does exfoliate the skin.  When I used it and looked in the mirror my skin looked better than it had in years.  If you are interested I purchased at iherb.com  It's almost $20 for I think it is 8.5 oz.

@Katcat1 

I use it too and also have sensitive skin. I use it twice daily without adverse affects.  It works better than any other exfoliate I've tried.

By the way, the bottle is 6.7oz. and also available on Amazon for about the same price.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw - Just be careful. I don't have sensitive skin, but  I have rosacea and have taken medication for years. I trust my dermatologist. I ordered a Clarisonic when they were popular years ago and took it in to show her. She said no. So I never used it. A lot of people love it. 

I taught in Japan and used rice powder to "wake up" my face every day. Fresh used to make one I liked, then they discontinued it. Bobbi Brown ( I think) had a similar one, but I didn't like it as much.

So when Tatcha came out, even though I think "the age-old book" is just a gimmick, I had another rice powder to use every day. She said to use it a few times a week at most.

She's OK with a gentle mask every week too. I like my skin, so I'll keep doing what I do, and I won't exfoliate too much!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I like using a variety of different exfoliation methods. A glycolic acid toner, a muslin cloth, an exfoliating (grainy type) cleanser and then sometimes a microfiber cloth. Just depends on my skin when to use them. But generally I like the muslin cloth mostly b/c it's effective and doesn't irritate or strip. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee , I saw that Alpha skincare has a body wash ,have you ever used it?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

@SilleeMee , I saw that Alpha skincare has a body wash ,have you ever used it?

@goldensrbest 

Yes I have used it. I thought it was good but not great plus I didn't think it was worth the price. As I recall, I think it was drying. People do love it though. There are tons of good reviews on the Alpha site for it. Just not for me.

Esteemed Contributor

We do exfoliate naturally every day, but as @SilleeMee stated, that process slows down as we age. I do a very gentle chemical and physical every day, as we shed skin cells every day. 

If I have any advice, it would be to use the most gentle method possible. Nothing that would irritate or dry out your skin.

Honored Contributor

The Ordinary also sells a glycolic acid for $8.70/8oz.  I thought my face looked great with all the other products I was using.  When I thru this in the mix it improved even more.