Trusted Contributor

Re: Interesting article about Cetaphil

@StillRachB.....

That's right! Live life full....my uncle eats dessert first so he doesn't get too full, I think this is clever:-)
Honored Contributor

Most facial cleansers make my face itch, I have no problem with Cetaphil.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

CERAVE!!!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Super Contributor

I agree with Winamac, CeraVe is the best!!!!!! I've been using it for years and will never change😍

Honored Contributor

When recovering from surgery, I couldn't take a bath. So someone recommended that I use Cetaphil, which can be applied as a no-water cleanser (instructions on the bottle). I did that for a couple days and developed a nasty rash on my stomach, even though I had used a damp washcloth afterward.

I'm not at all surprised by the article.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought it was one of the worst cleansers I've ever tried. It made my skin burn and dry. I never understood why since the ingredients are basic and nothing really stands out to me that would cause such a reaction. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

From Beautypedia:  Tested on animals:  Yes 

Cetaphil's Gentle Skin Cleanser is a product we recommended for years, but no more. In many ways the formula has become dated and is now a poor representation of the best of the best when it comes to facial cleansers, which is why it now earns an average, two-star rating.

Part of what led us to this reconsideration (well, beyond the wealth of beautifully formulated water-soluble cleansers) is the amount of sodium lauryl sulfate in this so-called "gentle" cleanser. Sodium lauryl sulfate is one of the more irritating cleansing agents used in skincare products. Although the amount is likely 1% or less of the product's contents (and this product is rinsed away, meaning it's not staying on your skin) there are many other cleansers available that don't use this potentially problematic ingredient and that are far better for skin (especially rosacea-prone skin, which this is marketed for!).

While this cleanser will get skin clean, it isn't adept at removing makeup. It's certainly not the worst option out there, but because it lacks gentle cleansing agents, it's one we don't recommend. We suggest instead considering one of the far superior options on our list of Best Cleansers.

Pros:
Effectively cleanses skin.

Cons:
Contains sodium lauryl sulfate, which can potentially irritate sensitive skin.
Not adept at removing makeup.

Respected Contributor

Not that long ago, I read something about this cleanser, discouraging people from using it, saying it was nothing short of poison. I guess it made as an impression on me because I tossed mine, right there and then, after using it for years. I never felt it did that great a job anyway (never tried to remove makeup with it) but I always felt I was using a mild, inocuous cleanser.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just looked at Beautypedia's site and now she is recommending their most recent cleanser that has liquid/oil.    So I guess it just depends on the ingredients.  And OMG she HATES Purity!  Wow!!  Read about it on her site....

Respected Contributor

@NativeJax wrote:
@StillRachB.....

That's right! Live life full....my uncle eats dessert first so he doesn't get too full, I think this is clever:-)

Ha, I wonder if your uncle is my old boyfriend from 35 or so years ago.  He did that too.