Trusted Contributor

Re: Insulting QVC Customer Service Response

@maestra wrote:

In a CS position I had w/a bank, a customer wanted a refund for postage. I read her (very politely) the company policy declining refund of postage and she then demanded a supervisor, stating I was rude.

I wasnt rude, I was following the policy the bank insisted I follow and tried to explain that. The supervisor gave her the refund.

I dont believe all CS are 'rude'-you're just being told a reality you don't agree with. That's not rude, that's life on life's own terms.

Put on your big girl panties.

Exactly! When I worked in a hospital I got reported to the Ombudsman a couple times. Why? Because I couldn;t give a patient something they demanded and felt they had a right to, such as an appointment that day when there was none available, or one that was convenient to their schedule, It always seemed to "help" in their mind to say that I was rude thinking that was the magic word that would get them what they wanted.  

Rude was just a term used by people who didn't get their demands met. In all the years I've been shopping online and at the shopping channels and called CS, I can't say that any of them have ever been rude. And that is not to say that I got my request granted. I called and maybe asked something like a refund on shipping charges for instance, was explained the policy, and moved on. If I had argued or asked for a supervisor, I think that would have made ME rude because I basically was telling them I didn't respect their job and wanted to go over their head. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Valued Contributor

The QVC response to the OP is hubris.  

Yes, the rep was following policy.  Higher ups needs to step back and look at the bigger picture.  Does that policy truly make sense in this case? Are we really taking care of our customer?

That sums it up.  QVC does not demonstrate that culture of valuing the customer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sassenach1 wrote:

Yes, the rep was following policy.  Higher ups needs to step back and look at the bigger picture.  Does that policy truly make sense in this case? Are we really taking care of our customer?

That sums it up.  QVC does not demonstrate that culture of valuing the customer. 

But again, where do you draw the line? If 100 customers wanted the difference back, with varying times of being past the 30 days, who gets it and who doesn't? Or should all because then you aren't taking care of ALL customers and is that fair? And why bother having any rules if you never abide by them anyway? If you only give it to some customers, then you are saying you value only some customers and not all?

It gets ridiculous and at some point you just have to chalk it up to the fact that it is life that sometimes you buy something and then later it goes on sale.

ETA: I also don't understand how the word "hubris" was used regarding the CS response. Makes no sense to me and doesn't really fit for the situation.  Are you sure you didn't use the incorrect word?

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze

Hubris is the word I meant in my post. The definition is pride or self confidence, arrogance, conceit, pomposity.  

I use use it because in my opinion and experience, QVC does NOT exhibit a culture of customer service.  In my opinion, the reason is they feel they don't have to.  There is always another customer or buyer.  Doesn't matter how they treat us.  Yes, hubris.

i work for a Fortune 100 company and it is ingrained in all of us that the customer and employees are valuable.  I don't think this is the case at QVC, although I have no experience as their employee, only as a long time customer.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@sassenach1 wrote:

But again, where do you draw the line? If 100 customers wanted the difference back, with varying times of being past the 30 days, who gets it and who doesn't? Or should all because then you aren't taking care of ALL customers and is that fair? And why bother having any rules if you never abide by them anyway? If you only give it to some customers, then you are saying you value only some customers and not all?

It gets ridiculous and at some point you just have to chalk it up to the fact that it is life that sometimes you buy something and then later it goes on sale.

ETA: I also don't understand how the word "hubris" was used regarding the CS response. Makes no sense to me and doesn't really fit for the situation.  Are you sure you didn't use the incorrect word?

@HappyDaze

Very well stated !!

Honored Contributor

@sassenach1 I know what the word means, it just does not really make sense in this case imo. We will have to agree to disagree. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi OP/Candy here. After three emails and my asking for the QVC President's phone number I have received the price rebate I asked for. My purchase was beyond the 30 days but within 40 days. As I have a PO box and the item was "In Process" for a week or so I did feel within my right to ask. I would not have asked for $back on an item that I'd bought quite awhile ago.

I would've taken no for an answer, as mentioned in my original post. It never hurts to ask. What I found insulting and beyond all common sense was the response to feel free to return it and re-purchase at the sale price. To me that was a waste of time (mine and QVC's) and money for a relatively small rebate.

I have always with two exceptions been a big fan of QVC Customer Service and continue to be. But having worked for years in customer service on many levels I felt the response was poor business and -- to my mind -- an insulting brush-off.

Thank you QVC customer service! And thanks to all of you for a lively discussion!

Candy