Valued Contributor

Instagram question - beauty, fashion, etc.

Hi!

Can anyone savvy about Instagram please reply? Admittedly, I am not tech savvy. :-)

I've heard of a lot of people being interested in instagram for beauty/fashion videos or pictures. Is there a way to log on to Instagram WITHOUT (yourself) having to post pictures, etc.?

I am not on facebook and do not want to post "pictures" and such on Instagram - it's to learn from several people I know to be on Instagram. For instance, they have a youtube channel; but, more content is apparently on Instagram.

From what I've read, it seems if you have an Instagram account and DON'T post pictures, it becomes 'inactive' and is then deleted? I'm not sure.

I'm hoping someone more savvy about this will know. Thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Instagram question - beauty, fashion, etc.

Many people have Instagram accounts that are open (not private). If so, you can see those posts. For instance, you can google "Gisele Instagram" (or whoever), and a link will pop up and you can see hers. It is MUCH easier to just open an Instagram, make it private, and follow whomever you want. They will show up on your feed. If you have an iPhone or iPad (or android, I'm sure) download the app. I LOVE LOVE Instagram, and look there a ton for fashion and MU ideas. You can also follow your favorite bloggers, etc. HTH!
Valued Contributor

Hi, FUTURE! Thank you!!! You were so helpful. I don't have an iphone/ipad/android to download the app so I tried doing what you said and just googling it -- found the posts!!!

You are awesome! I had no idea you could do that.

And, is it true to have an account you have to "post" pictures of your own? Or, have iphone/ipad/android? That was my impression after reading the FAQ. So, in that case, is it better to just google it?

Respected Contributor

I don't know about "having" to post pictures, because there are some celebs that I've seen tagged by other posters, and they have no posts. If that makes sense. If at all possible, I'd create an account. It's just so much easier to scroll through your feed than have to google all of those people. If you don't want to do that, I guess you could add them all to your favorites in your search engine. I probably follow 200 people, so that's a lot of favorites. It's easy to do! Lol!
Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 FUTURE said: I don't know about "having" to post pictures, because there are some celebs that I've seen tagged by other posters, and they have no posts. If that makes sense. If at all possible, I'd create an account. It's just so much easier to scroll through your feed than have to google all of those people. If you don't want to do that, I guess you could add them all to your favorites in your search engine. I probably follow 200 people, so that's a lot of favorites. It's easy to do! Lol!

Thank you again so much!!! You truly helped. :-)

Super Contributor

Anyone can open an Instagram account and you do not need to post pics ever. Once you are registered, you can login to Instagram from any browser. It has very limited search ability online vs the phone app.

Also, when you create your instagram account, you can choose to make your own account private. The benefit is that you can follow posters or comment on other's photos and not worrying about them trying to "follow" you back. Many like to follow their followers to be nice.

On the app, you can search by actual poster's name or you can search by hashtag which is how you search by topic, assuming the original poster chose to "hashtag" her photo. The hashtag symbol when used on Instagram makes it searchable. If you are looking for examples of winged eyeliner you would use the hashtag search field and type in wingedeyeliner. No spaces. Anyone who posted a photo of themselves wearing winged eyeliner AND chose to comment on their own photo with #wingedeyeliner will show up in your search.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Respected Contributor

Lulu-- good info! I didn't get into #'s. Lol! OP, it can really be a lot of fun. I find myself being more creative with clothes, jewelry, and MU.
Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 LuluCCS said:

Anyone can open an Instagram account and you do not need to post pics ever. Once you are registered, you can login to Instagram from any browser. It has very limited search ability online vs the phone app.

Also, when you create your instagram account, you can choose to make your own account private. The benefit is that you can follow posters or comment on other's photos and not worrying about them trying to "follow" you back. Many like to follow their followers to be nice.

On the app, you can search by actual poster's name or you can search by hashtag which is how you search by topic, assuming the original poster chose to "hashtag" her photo. The hashtag symbol when used on Instagram makes it searchable. If you are looking for examples of winged eyeliner you would use the hashtag search field and type in wingedeyeliner. No spaces. Anyone who posted a photo of themselves wearing winged eyeliner AND chose to comment on their own photo with #wingedeyeliner will show up in your search.

Thank you, LuluCCS, for the great tips!!!

I know you mentioned being able to login from any browser; but, to open an account is a smart phone needed? I have the old-fashioned phone. :-) When I looked online, it seemed like it needed to be by app to create an account.

Honored Contributor

you can open an account and view it on your computer.

or ipad.

so many fashion and makeup people their. I notice that some of the bloggers I follow are moving to instagram

I like to post my cat as do many others!!

You can remain anonymous if you use a weird user name that has nothing to do with you, try a random username generator site.

Valued Contributor

On 3/14/2014 jackthebear said:

you can open an account and view it on your computer.

or ipad.

so many fashion and makeup people their. I notice that some of the bloggers I follow are moving to instagram

I like to post my cat as do many others!!

You can remain anonymous if you use a weird user name that has nothing to do with you, try a random username generator site.

Hi, Jackthebear! I must be doing something incorrectly. On the Instagram website, when I go to "create an account," all it mentions is downloading the app from iphone/android/or windows phone. I'm not finding where I can create one without the app and just on a computer. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?