Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does Europe allow cosmetics to have parabens in them? What about the study where they were found in the tissue of women with malignant breast tumors??? Was that a fallacy?

Europe bans a lot of things that don't need to be banned, so I wouldn't necessarily use them as an example. Europe banning things in one reason many skincare and fragrances have reformulated and people complain that the aren't as effective or don't smell the way they used to. Banning things without real reason also has negative side effects.

The study was not a fallacy, but you should really go read more about it. The original study was a very small study with only 20 women. Further studies have shown parabens were also found in completely healthy breast tissue and found in women who did not use cosmetics with parabens. The only thing most scientists seem to agree on is that parabens are worth further study.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Does Europe allow cosmetics to have parabens in them? What about the study where they were found in the tissue of women with malignant breast tumors??? Was that a fallacy?

@Trinity11  You'll have to do your own research and make up your own mind, but there are many questions to ask and testing to do before it can be affirmed that parabens are indeed bad.  There are fear-mongering sites that will give one impression but then there are others that believe the parabens are safe.  Here's one article that I found interesting.

Future Derm - Parabens

Honored Contributor

Re: Ingredients

[ Edited ]

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11  You'll have to do your own research and make up your own mind, but there are many questions to ask and testing to do before it can be affirmed that parabens are indeed bad.  There are fear-mongering sites that will give one impression but then there are others that believe the parabens are safe.  Here's one article that I found interesting.

Future Derm - Parabens

Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

My mother smoked through her entire pregnancy with me. I weighed 4lb.6oz after 9 mos, 2 days.

@Imadickens Believe me....I do NOT advocate smoking--pregnant or not--but there's also another side to this statement. My mother smoked quite heavily thru three pregnancies. Both of my brothers weighed nearly 10 lbs, and I weighed in at nearly 9 lbs. (and was born 2 weeks early!)

She also drank more than she should've with the 2nd pregnancy, and some with all of us. This was in the 1950's. We were all very healthy. We used to joke about it and wonder what we would have weighed if she hadn't smoked!

My SIL smoked thru all 3 of her pregnancies in the 1980's...her smallest baby weighed over 7 lbs., and all three were healthy.

Again, not recommending that anyone smoke--I never tried it myself, and hate the smell of smoke---just wanted to present another side to the story.

@vermint, I understand what you're saying. But it really just reinforces the common sense notion that not every single person will be affected by smoking or drinking in the same way.

My parents were heavy smokers and both died of smoking-related diseases, while some smokers manage to avoid at least one or more of the consequences.

But it is Russian roulette, and even then stacked against a woman, when it comes to pregnancy. The potential adverse consequences are tragic.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 I absolutely agree...NO ONE should smoke, and yes, my mother also died at 76 of smoking-related COPD and congestive heart failure.  On the other hand, my 85 y/o dad smokes, has a little smoker's cough, but his doctor says his heart/lungs are in good shape for a man of his age!

Smoking is bad for you, though, and those around you as well! Why take the chance, when it's so unnecessary?

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Imadickens, you did ask how much we worry about natural ingredients in products, so you should expect a variety of answers.

Yes, I did. I'm sorry if my answers made me seem otherwise. I think I was responding to the statement about my doc warning me and another person didn't seem to know what parabens are. I never mean to sound preachy, and I did seriously want to know.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@vermint wrote:

My mother smoked through her entire pregnancy with me. I weighed 4lb.6oz after 9 mos, 2 days.

@Imadickens Believe me....I do NOT advocate smoking--pregnant or not--but there's also another side to this statement. My mother smoked quite heavily thru three pregnancies. Both of my brothers weighed nearly 10 lbs, and I weighed in at nearly 9 lbs. (and was born 2 weeks early!)

She also drank more than she should've with the 2nd pregnancy, and some with all of us. This was in the 1950's. We were all very healthy. We used to joke about it and wonder what we would have weighed if she hadn't smoked!

My SIL smoked thru all 3 of her pregnancies in the 1980's...her smallest baby weighed over 7 lbs., and all three were healthy.

Again, not recommending that anyone smoke--I never tried it myself, and hate the smell of smoke---just wanted to present another side to the story.

@vermint - I get what you're saying.  I can add another perspective.  I did everything right - no smoking or drinking, even watched caffeine, and I had one who arrived early and nearly didn't make it.

Unless someone can supply concrete proof that parabens are harmful and cause cancer in humans, it boils down to speculation and fear-mongering.

Thank you for giving a look at both sides. I read Paula's article on parabens. I guess it's a personal choice. My doc DID tell me to avoid them. Perhaps it was an abundance of caution or another reason. Anyway, like those who avoid fragrances or other ingredients, it's a personal choice. I believe my skin looks better w/o too many ingredients. My mother used no skin care and had nary a wrinkle. My grandmother used Revlon's Moon Drops only and when she died at 89 her skin looked 30! I imagine heredity, environment, and taking care of the whole body, mind, and spirit goes a long way! After that, who can say if any skin care really helps or not. I'm happy there is a variety of products available to meet our individual needs.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Regular Contributor

you can always find information or studies to support whatever view you hold. It seems to me that a "closer to the earth"philosophy makes logical sense just with my experience with chronic health conditions and pharmaceuticals that only treat a syptom and cause more issues. Holistic approaches have better, long term results. Things synthesized in a lab aren't my first choice to slather all over my skin. There is alot of anecdotal evidence that many chemicals in our beauty products are not good for our health-mainly the endocrine and reproductive systems-and the growing number of green choices makes switching to cleaner options or even making your own (which is what i do) easy. After watching my mother and sister go through cancer treatment, it's eye opening to see how toxic our world has become. so, yes, I'm a DIYer for what i can control since there is so much i can't. And even if all the chemicals are safe-if you have natural options why take the chance? imo.