Honored Contributor

Re: Influencers ANTI-Influencing

@Shanus 

"Kackie Reviews Makeup"

Whew!  There is only so much of her I can take at one time lol

She's a hoot alright.  I don't get a lot out of her videos makeup wise but she's entertaining.

My take on youtube has always been I purchase what I like

Same for me but the replies here seem to assume otherwise.  

I watch others who are dermatologists or specialize in skincare.

Me too but I'm finding myself watching fewer makeup and skincare videos and watching more AI (waiting for the next big home automation thing to hit the market since my home is pretty much maxed out with the current technology that I can utilize), dog and luxury real-estate videos.  Those took a backseat in 2020.

Charlotte Tilbury

I like everything I've purchased of hers.  I have her filmstar bronze and glow on today.  I have not bought her complexion products since she's big on glow.  I don't like "dupes".  A duplicate, to me, is a 100% copy, not in just initial looks but in how the product wears and longevity.  You rarely get that with what YTers claim are dupes.

Honored Contributor

I don't watch them.  I watched a few Hot n Flashy videos awhile back, but only a handful.  The few others I started watching I was horrified at how much foundation they were putting on.  I don't really need anybody telling me how to apply my makeup.  I'm pretty adept at what I do, and I don't change it up a lot except for with different colors.  

I'd like to try some smaller false eyelashes, but I just don't have the time to play with it.  I get up at 6:30, feed the cats, get my shower and wash my hair, and I have to be out of the house no later than 8:15.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Why do you think you would have to put on as much foundation as someone on a YT video just to watch it?  I don't understand.  Since I can't get to Sephora, I appreciate learning of new products from YT.  I apply it like I want it on ME, not necessarily like another person puts it on themselves.

I guess I like to see new ideas.  Ideas that maybe I wouldn't come up with on my own.  I can take it or leave it.  I don't work (outside the house).  

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

Why do you think you would have to put on as much foundation as someone on a YT video just to watch it?  I don't understand.  Since I can't get to Sephora, I appreciate learning of new products from YT.  I apply it like I want it on ME, not necessarily like another person puts it on themselves.

I guess I like to see new ideas.  Ideas that maybe I wouldn't come up with on my own.  I can take it or leave it.  I don't work (outside the house).  

@monicakm 

I like to watch the videos to get new ideas, too.  Although, I've never really mastered the whole bronzer thing.  Maybe I've not found the right color bronzer and or brush.  I need a light one.  Also, when I apply it, I never feel like I'm doing it right, so I just say the heck with it.  It really shouldn't be as hard as I make it out to be.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife 

As with a lot of other makeup, you can apply it how you think it looks best on you.  I didn't like the way bronzer looked on me applied (at first) with blush.  I wear it one of two ways.  I'll wear the bronzer as blush with highlight or apply it and my highlight and then just give my "apples" a little dab of blush color.  I started with just bronzer and highlight today and right before I left the house, tap a little Rose Inc's Cherub on the apples. 

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

At first I didn't think too much of it.  Now it seems to be a thing...influencers telling you NOT to buy makeup and to a lesser extent, skincare.  Is the sky falling or are they over-correcting the makeup/skincare push of the last 2.5 to 3 years?  "If you have 'A' don't waste your money on B, C and D.  Oh yeah, since when? LOL

You have been known to do this on these forums.  I thought was a new thing to do too.  Though, I don't consider you an influencer.  You have told people to not waste their money on a couple of things, I recall.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Interesting.  Who is paying the anti-influencers?  Anti-consumerists?

Good question!  Makes no sense at all to me.  I dunno.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset 

OK.  If there was a point to your reply, I didn't get it.

I thought was a new thing to do too.  

What??

Esteemed Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

OK.  If there was a point to your reply, I didn't get it.

I thought was a new thing to do too.  

What??

@monicakm I'm confused as to why you are complaining about the new direction that beauty influencers are taking by doing the opposite of what they are supposed to do (according to you).  I'm confused by this, because you've done it.  So, I saw it as a pot meet kettle kind of thing is all.  Maybe it is maybe it isn't.  

I think we all give our opinions about products we don't like.  I would never tell someone else it's not suitable for them, just that it's not good for me.  That's my point.  The end.

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@Icegoddess 

@monicakm If they start out with way too much foundation, I figure they're going to be over the top with everything else.  If I'm watching Youtube, more than likely I'm trying to figure out how to do something specific.  So, I might watch one to figure out how to apply false eyelashes, but I would have no interest in the rest of the makeup application.  Usually, I'm looking for something involving gardening or sewing or bread baking, stuff like that.  I went down the Youtube rabbit hole when we were building my greenhouse.  I just don't find makeup application that interesting.