Honored Contributor

Re: Increase in the Price of Paula's Choice Products

On 7/19/2014 Still Raining said:
On 7/19/2014 suzyQ3 said:

Every since she sold her company in 2012 the prices have gone up and the product line has expanded into some semi-questionable products. Not what it once was.

I had not heard that, so I googled to try find any information about that sale. I came up empty. Can you direct me to a source?

http://www.bertramcapital.com/news/2012-12-03-bertram-capital-makes-growth-investment-in-paula-s-ch...

Hope this works for the link on the newish owner. Somewhere recently I also read that they are closing their distribution center in Renton.

I love her products and the day they mess the Moisture Boost Cleanser will be the day I have to fall on my sword.

Thanks, Still Raining. It doesn't sound as if she sold the company. It just appears that she has attracted a major investor. So I'm not worried about any changes that might be for the worse, as can happen with new owners.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 wilma said:
On 7/19/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

Every since she sold her company in 2012 the prices have gone up and the product line has expanded into some semi-questionable products. Not what it once was.

I didn't know Paula sold her company. That makes a huge difference in everything.

I didn't know that either.

I have noticed that there aren't as many across the board sales and discounts. She used to have 15 - 20% off everything about every 6 weeks. Now all I get is an email saying a few products are on sale. They just had a cleanser/toner sale a few weeks ago which was nice, but I just got an email saying they are on sale again. I already ordered those. I keep waiting for the BHA products to go on sale... I am still waiting.

wilma, from my experience, she has a different sale every month, usually starting around the 4th. I mostly wait until dermstore has one of their 20 percent (always 1-3 day shipping) promos, which occur quite often.

As fo her prices going up, well, all I can say is that I find her prices to be moderate -- higher than drugstore but lower than high-end. I have no complaints there.

The only two serums of hers that are more than $30 are her retinol and her Vitamin C. I use the former, and I won't hold her to something she may have said years ago that didn't foresee such topical products. I like the Retinol serum and think it's reasonably priced, although once I'm through with mine, I may, just may, try her newer 1 percent, also fairly priced.

I'm still not able to find any confirmation that her company has been sold.

Thanks for the info, suzy. I do like a few of her products so I am willing to pay a bit more because they work. It is always nice to get them on sale though. Hopefully, a BHA sale is coming soon.

Honored Contributor

yeah, an investor is different then selling the company outright. I am not worried about them messing with the formulas at this point.

The prices of everything has gone up. Paula's is still a reasonable price range for me. I love the expansion of the line-it has been a long time coming!

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 wilma said:
On 7/19/2014 wilma said:
On 7/19/2014 Sunshine Kate said:

I didn't know Paula sold her company. That makes a huge difference in everything.

I didn't know that either.

I have noticed that there aren't as many across the board sales and discounts. She used to have 15 - 20% off everything about every 6 weeks. Now all I get is an email saying a few products are on sale. They just had a cleanser/toner sale a few weeks ago which was nice, but I just got an email saying they are on sale again. I already ordered those. I keep waiting for the BHA products to go on sale... I am still waiting.

wilma, from my experience, she has a different sale every month, usually starting around the 4th. I mostly wait until dermstore has one of their 20 percent (always 1-3 day shipping) promos, which occur quite often.

As fo her prices going up, well, all I can say is that I find her prices to be moderate -- higher than drugstore but lower than high-end. I have no complaints there.

The only two serums of hers that are more than $30 are her retinol and her Vitamin C. I use the former, and I won't hold her to something she may have said years ago that didn't foresee such topical products. I like the Retinol serum and think it's reasonably priced, although once I'm through with mine, I may, just may, try her newer 1 percent, also fairly priced.

I'm still not able to find any confirmation that her company has been sold.

Thanks for the info, suzy. I do like a few of her products so I am willing to pay a bit more because they work. It is always nice to get them on sale though. Hopefully, a BHA sale is coming soon.

wilma, seriously, bookmark dermstore.com. They have the largest selection of PC products of any of her authorized dealers, and they run that 20 percent off promo probably at least every six weeks or so. And free expedited shipping!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Regular Contributor

I asked about the alleged selling of the company and here is what Paula's Choice said: Hi Mandy! Thank you for the question! It's not about selling the company, it's that we now have an investment group in PC. This allowed Paula and the team to hire people to take care of the mundane business activities (i.e. finances, accounting, HR, and more). This allowed us to focus more on PD and education (as well as global media). Paula is still at the head, but now she (and we) has more time to do what she really loves about PC.
Frequent Contributor

On 7/19/2014 Mandy Moo said: I asked about the alleged selling of the company and here is what Paula's Choice said: Hi Mandy! Thank you for the question! It's not about selling the company, it's that we now have an investment group in PC. This allowed Paula and the team to hire people to take care of the mundane business activities (i.e. finances, accounting, HR, and more). This allowed us to focus more on PD and education (as well as global media). Paula is still at the head, but now she (and we) has more time to do what she really loves about PC.

What % of the company does Paula own? If it's less than 50%, the company isn't hers.

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 StellaDiva said:
On 7/19/2014 Mandy Moo said: I asked about the alleged selling of the company and here is what Paula's Choice said: Hi Mandy! Thank you for the question! It's not about selling the company, it's that we now have an investment group in PC. This allowed Paula and the team to hire people to take care of the mundane business activities (i.e. finances, accounting, HR, and more). This allowed us to focus more on PD and education (as well as global media). Paula is still at the head, but now she (and we) has more time to do what she really loves about PC.

What % of the company does Paula own? If it's less than 50%, the company isn't hers.

I don't see any reason not to take the answer at face value, especially if she is still heading the company. And a very satisfied customer, I'm not worried in the least that she does not retain power over what is sold under her brand. If I should ever see a change for the worse in the products that I buy, I'll worry about it then.

Trusted Contributor

According to a press release from Paula's Choice in May of 2013 (5 mos after Bertram became a partner)

Paula's Choice, LLC, a rapidly growing skin care and cosmetics company with distribution in 50 countries, is pleased to announce the appointment of David Lonczak as its new CEO. As CEO, Lonczak will spearhead an aggressive growth strategy, playing a key role in the continued global expansion of the brand. Paula's Choice founder, Paula Begoun, will continue to play an active role in the business as a board member overseeing product development as well as doing media appearances as a best-selling author and expert on skin care and beauty.
@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Honored Contributor

On 7/19/2014 lyn in MI said: According to a press release from Paula's Choice in May of 2013...

Paula's Choice, LLC, a rapidly growing skin care and cosmetics company with distribution in 50 countries, is pleased to announce the appointment of David Lonczak as its new CEO. As CEO, Lonczak will spearhead an aggressive growth strategy, playing a key role in the continued global expansion of the brand. Paula's Choice founder, Paula Begoun, will continue to play an active role in the business as a board member overseeing product development as well as doing media appearances as a best-selling author and expert on skin care and beauty.

Thanks, lyn in MI. That sounds very promising for the company. I wonder if that aggressive grown strategy will ever include a presence on a shopping channel.

Super Contributor

Paula does regular podcasts with her team. She is still very involved. They actually discuss stuff like how things work at Paula's Choice all the time including what she is working on, her role, their investment in product development etc.

I agree with the other posters that in comparison with many other brands their prices are moderate. When I think of all the money I spent on products that didn't work that is what makes me cringe.