Regular Contributor

In what order do you apply your facial products?

Now that I've become a sunscreen devotee along with a JM argan oil daily wearer, I'm confused about how to apply my various products. What goes on first? I use Elta sunscreen. Sometimes I use Josie's foundation that includes the sunscreen, but usually I use her matchmaker foundation. Would I put the sunscreen on top of that? Under it? First, before the argan oil? Thanks for your help!!

Super Contributor

Re: In what order do you apply your facial products?

If it's a physical sunscreen, that would be the last liquid applied, prior to makeup. Treatment products from thinnest to thickest are typically the rule of thumb and I use oils as my last treatment (I don't use creams or "moisturizers") and physical sunscreen on top of them.

If your using a chemical sunscreen, that needs to be applied closest to and on clean, dry skin for protection. Then your treatment products and makeup last.

Regular Contributor

Magemay, thank you SO much! I remembered there was some kind of rule to it but just couldn't remember what it was! Thinnest to thickest absolutely makes sense. Mine is a physical sunscreen.

OK, so it sounds like for me it will be JM's argan milk first followed by the JM matchmaker foundation with perhaps a little of the JM argan oil too, any cream blush (like her color stick or Bobbi Brown's pot rouge) and THEN the Elta physical sunscreen.. Whew, and I thought I had simplified my routine! Smiley Wink

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 acim said:

Magemay, thank you SO much! I remembered there was some kind of rule to it but just couldn't remember what it was! Thinnest to thickest absolutely makes sense. Mine is a physical sunscreen.

OK, so it sounds like for me it will be JM's argan milk first followed by the JM matchmaker foundation with perhaps a little of the JM argan oil too, any cream blush (like her color stick or Bobbi Brown's pot rouge) and THEN the Elta physical sunscreen.. Whew, and I thought I had simplified my routine! Smiley Wink

You're welcome, acim.

I know right, it gets so confusing with all of the products that we use, especially when using liquid foundations that don't contain any type of sunscreen, which really confuses me because physical sunscreen, which is typically liquid, is suppose to go on last for optimal protection. I don't use liquid foundation's, bb's or cc', so I'm still confused there and can't help much. I would think though, that women will apply physical sunscreen, then if they use it, liquid foundation?

Because I don't use foundations of any kind and to complicated things even further, I like to top everything off with a dusting of Mineral Veil origional spf mixed with a treatment powder that contains zinc oxide, and a plain zinc oxide powder. I figure, the more protection the better.

Hopefully Maren will chime in, maybe she uses liquid foundation and she really knows her stuff when it comes to sunscreens.

Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 acim said:

No, the Elta goes on BEFORE the makeup. ("If it's a physical sunscreen, that would be the last liquid applied, prior to makeup.") I only put physical sunscreen on over makeup if it's a reapplication when I'm out in the sun all day.

Super Contributor

On 1/7/2015 ChynnaBlue said:
On 1/7/2015 acim said:

No, the Elta goes on BEFORE the makeup. ("If it's a physical sunscreen, that would be the last liquid applied, prior to makeup.") I only put physical sunscreen on over makeup if it's a reapplication when I'm out in the sun all day.

Yeah, that's true, and makes sense if you use makeup, otherwise a liquid sunscreen applied over makeup would mess up your makeup application, however, wouldn't that diminish the optimal efficacy of a physical sunscreen when something is applied over it?

Respected Contributor

For daytime I apply mosturizer with sp first, then tinted moisturizer or foundation (usually with spf) then loose or pressed powder (usually with spf). I only use oils or serums at night before going to bed.
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Silver Lining said: For daytime I apply mosturizer with sp first, then tinted moisturizer or foundation (usually with spf) then loose or pressed powder (usually with spf). I only use oils or serums at night before going to bed.

Yes this- argan oil, then SPF, then your TM or foundation.

Esteemed Contributor

I put on the JM Argon oil first, then Dr. Denese tinted SPF, then foundation. That seems to work for me. I really like Dr. Denese tinted SPF. That is my most favorite find from QVC.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

On 1/7/2015 Puppy Lips said:

I put on the JM Argon oil first, then Dr. Denese tinted SPF, then foundation. That seems to work for me. I really like Dr. Denese tinted SPF. That is my most favorite find from QVC.

Is that the one with the chemical SPF in it? Some believe that with the chemical SPF, because it actually penetrates the skin and works below the skin surface, that you need to apply this type of SPF first before anything else because the belief is that it couldn't penetrate the skin as well if you apply it ontop of other items, therefore not work very effectively. Personally, although I no longer use chemical SPF, when I did, I always used it in the way you do and I never got burnt nor did I get any sun damage. Plus, how would that even work since it is a tinted chemical spf if then you applied other skincare products over it?