Regular Contributor

Re: In 2015, I vow to spend less on things I don't need! Anyone with me?

Count me in, too. My DH has a saying, "strive more to want less." I've admittedly not lived by this and need to change my ways.
Respected Contributor

Count me in, too!

I did follow the on-line "Kitchn Cure" (30 days to clean and organize my kitchen), that involved getting rid of duplicates, things I no longer use, throwing out old spices, canned goods, cleaning supplies, etc., and organizing what I have. My kitchen is very small, and it has never looked so good.

Then I went through the drawers and shelves in my two vanities, and threw away products that were half-used, expired, etc. I don't use much makeup anymore, but I still have face creams, body creams/lotions, and hair products, that I need to go through (and stop buying more until I use up what I have).

The other problems I have are clothes and shoes. Actually, clothes take up much more room than shoes. I did get rid of several purses, because I need to wear light-weight, mostly cross-body bags now. I have drawers full of sweaters, tops, pants, etc.; plus 2 closets full of clothes, plus coats for spring/summer and fall/winter. I've taken clothes to consignment, but haven't had much luck selling anything recently. So, I'm just going to go through my clothes, and donate what I don't wear. My big problem is that I enjoy shopping! Sometimes it's the "rush" of getting something new. Do any of you have that same problem?

Super Contributor

I'll be shopping my own closet this year and those of my two sisters, too. Hubby makes less money on his new job than he did before. I have no choice.

But, I'm fully OK with that. I've been taking books out of the library about Simplicity and Simple Living. I'm completely OK with slowing down the pace of my life and my consumer consumption.

Super Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Kelleygrrrl said:

Yes! This is my first time posting on these forums. Figured this would be a support group that'll help keep me in check. Best of luck to us all in 2015!!!

Welcome! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

On 12/30/2014 SemperFi Beauty said: Count me in. We are about to have a major shake up in our financial area and so I need to take a step back and only spend money on necessities. I have way more makeup, skincare and bath products than I ever need. I'm on a no buy for Jan. I hope I can stick to it.

Hang in there. You can do it.

My husband got laid off last Dec and we went almost all of 2014 with no job for him. I had to cut back severely and live on savings and we made it OK. I have kept up my cutting back despite him being employed again, trying to rebuild our savings.

I also learned a whole lot about what we could withstand in our relationship. It made that stronger.

Super Contributor

On 12/31/2014 BluebellePA said:

Thanks Dosey. I will check out the ComPact threads. I'm more motivated than ever to get my spending on things that I don't need under control. There is a very good book called "Simple Abundance - A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach that celebrates each day of the year that is excellent and also motivating. I always make it through the first couple of months faithfully each day and then stop reading it. Life gets in the way!

Excellent book. It came out a while back but, it's a great way to get back on track, one reflection for each day of the year. It's all about being authentic, simplifying, and being emotionally and spiritually centered. Love that book.

New Contributor

I started doing a "mini" clean on garbage day.. When getting all garbage ready, I'd take a few minutes and marathon purge the pantry, bathroom closets and just get rid of those idle useless I don't use items. Each week I do this so doesn't feel like a big project. Our garbage only comes once a week, so at the very least once a week, something gets done. And I keep a goodwill bag to dump items too that aren't garbage worthy.
Occasional Contributor

Great idea! I'm definitely in need of this!

Regular Contributor

Count me in too!!!!!!!!!!

I made a deal with myself yesterday. Can't buy anything until my credit cards are paid off.

Then maybe. I have what I need for many years. It never is what I need it is what I want.

Regular Contributor

I'm in.