Honored Contributor

Re: In 2015, I vow to spend less on things I don't need! Anyone with me?

On 12/31/2014 Spunkyspouts said:
On 12/31/2014 UMDTerpFan said:

Sigh, I moved this year and I can't tell you how many boxes of stuff I had in my bathroom. My husband complained that I took over our old master bathroom which had a huge double vanity that was about 8 feet long with tons of drawers & storage. We downsized and now my bathroom is tiny-I can't fit the stuff I use on a daily basis on my countertop much less under it. I have to keep stuff in a box on the floor in front of the sink. I don't even have room to put up a small shelf and stack my daily use stuff there! I've been weeding through all the stuff I moved from my old home and trying to use it up, give it to my daughter or throw it out. (I also donated a good sized box of unused stuff to a women's shelter.) I still have a long ways to go! I wish I'd stop buying a long time ago. Hubby thinks I've spent thousands & thousands on dollars on this stuff and he is right. And wouldn't you know I placed an order online earlier today for a new perfume (which smells divine by the way) and a lip balm that I didn't need but wanted. And have more clothes than I need too. Maybe I need to get counseling to figure out why I buy things that I don't need, I don't know. But I am going to try and make a dent in that goal for 2015 before I spend myself into another deep hole, especially since we are now on a fixed income since hubby retired. Thanks for your post though and a reminder of a worthwhile New Years Resolution.

It is easy to fall into this trap, I bet you didnt start out like this, I sure didnt. I look back to how I used to be, just had what I needed and that was it. Lets just be honest, watching QVC doesnt help.

You are right that watching the shopping channels doesn't help. I "signed up" here yesterday. Last night I was thinking about a shower gel/lotion set I was given last year and thought I had room to bring it out for use. Couldn't find it. Finally realized I have "stuff" in yet another deep drawer in addition to at least 3 other places plus the actual bathroom cabinet for the gels and lotions/body butters that are open and in use. I think my downfall is --good sales prices. I think I have to stock up then for myself and gifts. I have enough for years, I think. Must stop now.

Super Contributor

I have always been like that with everything, I'm not a frivolous spendthrift. I only buy what I need and use.

Trusted Contributor

I'm in!
Super Contributor

OMG YES I'm 100% IN!!!!!!!!!!! I literally just made a purchase (my last for the year)on tempting/deadly ebay lol and I promised myself no spending til I start using stuff up!!

I am a beauty product/purse/shoe junkie and I plan on keeping my promise as we go into the New Year about NO SPENDING $ on things I really don't need (and paying off 2 credit cards)

Occasional Contributor

Count me in as well.

I cannot believe how much money I have wasted on shipping things back because I "impusle" bought things from the Q. I get a discount on shipping with UPS at work so can usually send things back pretty cheaply, even though I keep many more things than I send back, I wish they would send me "the letter". I have vowed to have self-discipline this year and STOP the impulse buying. Enough is enough. I don't "need" anything. Can you tell that I am lecturing myself? Now I just need to listen!!!

Good luck to you ladies that are in the same boat as I am. Retirement is coming in the new few years and I have resolved myself to put away more money this year and not spend it at the Q. I am strong....hear me roar!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Respected Contributor

Thank you, CouponQueen, for mentioning the grocery. I have a tendency to drop things into my basket on a whim, and I want very much to stop that. I always make a list, and I try to stick to that, but then I see something interesting or tempting, and in it goes. I do use coupons and look for specials. And I try to use my freezer wisely. But a reminder never hurts, so thanks a bunch!

I started something on my calendar for December, and I plan to continue it in 2015. Every day I write down anything I've spent - it's a shock when you start while you're doing Christmas shopping, but I needed that shock. I'm all set for January with a fresh calendar, and a plan to use that one for nothing other than spending habits. Plan to add it all up at the end of each month (categories: food, clothing, cosmetics, household purchases). Maybe more categories later. That way it will be staring me in the face every day.

Frequent Contributor

Welcome to all!

Please stop by and check in at our new thread:

New thread is started!

Just click on the link:

http://community.qvc.com/forums/beauty-banter/topic/486376/simplify-2015-join-us-if-you-want-to-comm...

Frequent Contributor

I'm with you on this too. Also, my main thing this year is to not accept any items I paid for and it looks like it has been used and repackaged and sent to me. When I buy something new, I expect to get a new, unused item. This happened to me before.

Super Contributor

What a great post for the New Year, 3redheads - Count me in too! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Wishing to All a Happy, Healthy & Prosperous 2015!

Contributor

I'm in!! I've been off of work two weeks (I work at a college) for the holidays. I decided to clean closets, cabinets, office and boy do I have some stuff. I just realized the last time SKINN was on I purchased $500 worth of his cosmetics!! OMG! What was I thinking??!! Those little "easy pays" add up quickly!! Now, I'm taking it day by day. Not ordering anything unless I'm COMPLETELY OUT and that includes all other brands I have in my cabinet that can do the same thing!! Not ordering a new purse "just because"! I have too many now! uggghhhh I could go on and on It saddens me to think of the money spent on such things. So, count me in!!!