Honored Contributor

Re: In 2015, I vow to spend less on things I don't need! Anyone with me?

On 12/30/2014 just bee said:
On 12/30/2014 geezerette said:

I think it's just great that a shopping channel forum has not one, but <em>two</em> threads devoted to buying <em>less</em>!! The "Compact" ladies and the "Simplify" ladies need to start a whole new category in the forum column!

I don't know if it's part of the natural aging process or what, but the last few years I've been doing this a lot. "Things" just aren't as important to me as they used to be. I wish I could just have all the people and animals back in my life that are no longer here. Aside from the basics, somebody else can have all the rest of that stuff.

I agree. It's part of the aging process -- for some of us, at least. I think many of us are at that "certain age" where we've had to clear out a parent's home and there's suddenly a terrible fear that overwhelms us: What if I die and a stranger opens my linen closet and sees 127 bottles of shower gel? That was one of the reasons for starting the ComPact. So why do we keep buying more shower gel?

I would be so embarrassed if anyone saw my stash of shower gels--and I just ordered a few more since it was such a good sale. (Philosophy/Macy's) I'm older and have that fear of my family having to go through my stuff. I have really cut back on eye shadows, etc. as I have more than enough. Need to work on buying less clothing, shoes and various kinds of make-up.

Valued Contributor

What a great idea! Please count me in on this movement! I have so much "stuff", but continue to buy more. I really need to appreciate what I already have, and not continue to shop for more. The new year is a perfect time to start!

Super Contributor

PLEASE COUNT ME IN!

With Lola's inspiration I plan on purchasing only workout shoes and summer sandals in 2015.

I could use help getting my makeup and skincare items under control.

Looking forward to this. HAPPY NEW YEAR to all! And, thank you.

Esteemed Contributor

If I exercised with same enthusiasm that I shopped, I would be soooo skinny!

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 Daysdee said:
On 12/30/2014 just bee said:
On 12/30/2014 geezerette said:

I think it's just great that a shopping channel forum has not one, but <em>two</em> threads devoted to buying <em>less</em>!! The "Compact" ladies and the "Simplify" ladies need to start a whole new category in the forum column!

I don't know if it's part of the natural aging process or what, but the last few years I've been doing this a lot. "Things" just aren't as important to me as they used to be. I wish I could just have all the people and animals back in my life that are no longer here. Aside from the basics, somebody else can have all the rest of that stuff.

I agree. It's part of the aging process -- for some of us, at least. I think many of us are at that "certain age" where we've had to clear out a parent's home and there's suddenly a terrible fear that overwhelms us: What if I die and a stranger opens my linen closet and sees 127 bottles of shower gel? That was one of the reasons for starting the ComPact. So why do we keep buying more shower gel?

I would be so embarrassed if anyone saw my stash of shower gels--and I just ordered a few more since it was such a good sale. (Philosophy/Macy's) I'm older and have that fear of my family having to go through my stuff. I have really cut back on eye shadows, etc. as I have more than enough. Need to work on buying less clothing, shoes and various kinds of make-up.

Daysdee! You should have joined us on the ComPact thread. I haven't bought a philosophy shower gel in years. I've been putting the old stash to work as hand soap at the bathroom and kitchen sinks. It's one habit I've successfully broken. And I have room on the closet shelves.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

Mary Bailey ~~~~~ DITTO!!!!!!!!
Contributor

Please count me in. I've been saying since before Christmas that I have too much stuff and I need to clean out and stop buying more stuff. Hopefully being a part of this group will help me this coming year.
Honored Contributor

I am already pretty frugal but there is always some room for improvement.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 3redheads said:
On 12/30/2014 Irish1210 said:

I'm so glad I saw this thread and joined this group ~ I have renewed energy and feel like the camaraderie will only fuel this journey......................

Thanks, 3redheads (you're my idol....having Q card down to $285!!!!) for

Well, I HAD it down to $285. It's about $1000 more now Smiley Sad It sure does add up fast!

We can all support each other. I need the moral support. Thanks, ladies!

You do realize, I hope, that if you aren't paying off the whole balance each month, that you're PAYING INTEREST ON shipping and handling? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

Maybe it would help to ask why you're so easily moved to buy things you don't even need .... ?? {#emotions_dlg.confused1} {#emotions_dlg.confused1} {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not a big shopper but when I bought my new house in 2001, I had my large walk-in closet customized by California Closets. Since that time, my shoes, purses, pants, tops, sweaters quadrupled. Thanks to QVC and the last few years from Kohls.com. I'm happy with everything I purchased - now that my closet is totally full - I'm DONE!!!!!!!