Honored Contributor

Re: In 2015, I vow to spend less on things I don't need! Anyone with me?

On 12/30/2014 GoodStuff said:

Where is the ""ComPact"" thread? Sounds interesting.

We're monthly. Look for

<h1> ComPact 2014 -- December</h1>
~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Super Contributor

Happy New Year! While I have posted on the beauty page, I would like to join this challenge. I am adding for me handbags and jewelry! My 2 greatest weaknesses and they are killing me. Money is really limited, lost my job 3 years ago and am employed but making approx 25,000 less than I did. Family is helping me out and I am a stress ball most days over bills. So, vowed that 2015 was to be the year of less and only purchase what I need which really is not much!

Count me in please and I think you ladies are great to want to do this so we can help each other. As someone said, I too feel the month of Jan. will be the hardest. Gem day will be tough but just will not watch!

Happy New Year and may the year bring you all joy, peace and new joys in living simply!

Peace, Nancy from MA

Frequent Contributor

I packed three garbage bags, one huge department store paper bag, and one huge department store plastic bag of clothing to Goodwill. Guess what I found? I found two Sherpa zip up jackets that I completely forgot I own it {#emotions_dlg.scared}. I feel like a hoarder!!!!

May I join you guys???!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

It's a struggle for me, but I did very well in 2014 cutting back on impulse purchases and buying things I don't really need. I didn't even buy a new bag for fall 2014. I may pick something up during the after-Christmas sales, but it would have to be a small crossbody type style like the Vera Mini Hipster. I try not be hypnotized by charming guests and hosts when watching the shopping channels, and when I go into a store, I beeline for what I have on my list and ignore the enticing displays. I don't need any new winter clothes, so I'm not even perusing the sale racks.

Honored Contributor

I think it's just great that a shopping channel forum has not one, but two threads devoted to buying less!! The "Compact" ladies and the "Simplify" ladies need to start a whole new category in the forum column!

I don't know if it's part of the natural aging process or what, but the last few years I've been doing this a lot. "Things" just aren't as important to me as they used to be. I wish I could just have all the people and animals back in my life that are no longer here. Aside from the basics, somebody else can have all the rest of that stuff.

Trusted Contributor

Why not vow to spend nothing, rather than less, on things you don't need? I started doing that when I retired. When I'm looking or thinking about an item, I just ask myself,f do I really need this? The vast majority of the time the answer is no.

I'll also walk around a store to pick up the items that I actually came in to get and 99% of the time I decide I don't really need the item that caught my eye.

And last, I NEVER buy anything based on the TV presentation. I almost never watch any of the home shopping networks any more, which helps keep me from buying, but if I happen to see something that I would like, I go to the website. The vast majority of the time, the reviews turn me off or it just doesn't seem that interesting when it isn't being hyped as the best item ever.

Honored Contributor

On 12/30/2014 geezerette said:

I think it's just great that a shopping channel forum has not one, but two threads devoted to buying less!! The "Compact" ladies and the "Simplify" ladies need to start a whole new category in the forum column!

I don't know if it's part of the natural aging process or what, but the last few years I've been doing this a lot. "Things" just aren't as important to me as they used to be. I wish I could just have all the people and animals back in my life that are no longer here. Aside from the basics, somebody else can have all the rest of that stuff.

I agree. It's part of the aging process -- for some of us, at least. I think many of us are at that "certain age" where we've had to clear out a parent's home and there's suddenly a terrible fear that overwhelms us: What if I die and a stranger opens my linen closet and sees 127 bottles of shower gel? That was one of the reasons for starting the ComPact. So why do we keep buying more shower gel?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Trusted Contributor

I think we are all off to a great start ~ at least we are pumped with enthusiasm! We sound like very self-aware women which will be a huge benefit ~ we know our weaknesses and what really tempts us! I like DrKelli's tradition and plan to be outside ""burying"" my dollar!
Esteemed Contributor

Always room for improvement here!

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Frequent Contributor

Count me in!! Well, atleast I will try. I used to shop alot here but once I received a totally black Michael Dawkins watch that was supposed to be stainless steel, I was totally turned off. It was a clearence item and "not picked over, first quality product" . Not only was it horribly tarnished it had lotion residue on the band and a chipped, in half, spinel stone in the crown. This wasn't the only incident that made me re-think my shopping habits here;there were many. Just yesterday I got caught up in the hype of the pink nectar Logo tsv cardigan and two maple color Logo tops and then I started to read the threads saying how overpriced Logo items are. So after a while I cancelled my really expensive order and felt so much better because I realized that I have plenty of clothes and do not need to add anymore especially such expensive ones. So thanks for starting the thread and I hope to not buy anything I do not need in the new year or atleast gradually decrease my spending. Have a Happy and healthy New Year everyone!! I hope it is filled with tons of joy and good health. Peace to all.