Contributor

Re: Iluminage-Laser Hair Removal

Thank You, to all of you who answered my question and shared very good information here. Your advice, tips, information was/is greatly appreciated. I have done tons of research on other products as I am (was) interested in laser (not light technology) permanent hair removal. After much research, thought and reading tons of reviews, I decided this product (Iluminage) is not for me. I purchased a device, on line, that is FDA approved and cleared, and is highly recommended by dermatologists. In fact, it was a lot less in cost than this device. Since I have dark hair and very fair skin I am a good candidate for laser hair removal. I already knew this since I had laser hair removal done professionally several years ago. It was very, very expensive so I stopped going for my treatments. However, the one tip the Laser Technician used to always tell me was to stay OUT of the sun and not to work on a tan. Laser hair removal does not work if one is in the sun or deeply tanned. Another tip was do NOT tweeze or pluck the hair. The recommendation was shaving the hair (not using an epilator) with a razor blade. The Laser technician indicated that laser hair removal will not work or be effective if one uses an epilator. I wanted to pass these tips on to the QVC community as an FYI only. 

Contributor

Thanks for all the information/tips and advice. I ended up purchasing a LASER device that does not require any cartridge replacement(s). I spent $199.99. The Iluminage product is very, very expensive and with having to replace the cartridge (which is also expensive) I decided this product is NOT for me. In addition, it is a light technology device (not Laser). Since I am/was interested in laser hair removal I decided to purchase one that is also FDA cleared and FDA approved. I am in the "research" profession within the large pharmaceutical drug companies and medical devices. I did tons of research before spending $200 on a laser hair removal device. I should receive my new Laser hair removal device today (19-Apr-2017), and cannot wait to do the laser treaments in the privacy of my home. Thanks for ALL the good information you provided. I really appreciated the good information and great tips.

Honored Contributor

If I were younger I would be all over a laser device.  But, now I have too much gray hair.  And, either because of age or hypothyroidism, not much of it any more.  I have an epilator I occasionally use on my underarms and legs, but there really isn't much there anymore.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One major thing to keep in mind about LASER devices (Tria)  is that they will only work on specific skin tones. Also, they will not eliminate light-color hairs, like gray and blond hairs. This is where IPL combined with RF seems to work the best...as seen in devices like the Illuminage and Me Chic. There's an argument to use more than one type of device to achieve optimal hair removal.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of posting a link to another retailer

Trusted Contributor

@ChiTownGal wrote:

Thank You, to all of you who answered my question and shared very good information here. Your advice, tips, information was/is greatly appreciated. I have done tons of research on other products as I am (was) interested in laser (not light technology) permanent hair removal. After much research, thought and reading tons of reviews, I decided this product (Iluminage) is not for me. I purchased a device, on line, that is FDA approved and cleared, and is highly recommended by dermatologists. In fact, it was a lot less in cost than this device. Since I have dark hair and very fair skin I am a good candidate for laser hair removal. I already knew this since I had laser hair removal done professionally several years ago. It was very, very expensive so I stopped going for my treatments. However, the one tip the Laser Technician used to always tell me was to stay OUT of the sun and not to work on a tan. Laser hair removal does not work if one is in the sun or deeply tanned. Another tip was do NOT tweeze or pluck the hair. The recommendation was shaving the hair (not using an epilator) with a razor blade. The Laser technician indicated that laser hair removal will not work or be effective if one uses an epilator. I wanted to pass these tips on to the QVC community as an FYI only. 

Would you mind sharing the name of the device you did purchase?  No links or it will be poofed.

Honored Contributor

@arrabella,

She might not see your question. We need to get her attention by posting her name like this: @ChiTownGal. She will get notified and hopefully respond to your question. I would like to know the answer, too.Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@arrabella,

She might not see your question. We need to get her attention by posting her name like this: @ChiTownGal. She will get notified and hopefully respond to your question. I would like to know the answer, too.Woman Happy

How do you that "@" thing?  I see it all the time but don't know how to do that myself.

Honored Contributor

@arrabella wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@arrabella,

How do you that "@" thing?  I see it all the time but don't know how to do that myself.

Just hit the key and then you should see a drop-down list of posters who have posted within this thread. Click the poster you want to address and their name will appear in blue in your post. @arrabella  Try it with my name and see if it will work for you.

Trusted Contributor

@SilleeMeechecking to see if it works!

TIA