Regular Contributor

If you use Cruelty Free beauty products- a question for you......

I use cruelty free beauty products exclusively. However, I buy some of those products from Sephora who has a house brand that is not cruelty free. I've been thinking that even if I buy other CF products from Sephora, I'm still helping them line their pockets with my money, even if that money is not spent on the Sephora brands.

Has anyone ever considered not buying from Sephora for this particular reason? Again, I pose this questions to those of you who DO use CF beauty products, and for whom it is important to not support brands that do animal testing. Ulta brand is CF and I'd be more inclined to buy from their stores or from the brands directly.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you use Cruelty Free beauty products- a question for you......

@Haircut100 wrote:

I use cruelty free beauty products exclusively. However, I buy some of those products from Sephora who has a house brand that is not cruelty free. I've been thinking that even if I buy other CF products from Sephora, I'm still helping them line their pockets with my money, even if that money is not spent on the Sephora brands.

Has anyone ever considered not buying from Sephora for this particular reason? Again, I pose this questions to those of you who DO use CF beauty products, and for whom it is important to not support brands that do animal testing. Ulta brand is CF and I'd be more inclined to buy from their stores or from the brands directly.

Well, the thing with this is you'll not only have to stop shopping at Sephora but all department stores that sell beauty products.  Why stop Sephora?  Sephora is not the only place to buy CF and non CF products.  Where does one draw the line?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Haircut100 wrote:

@Haircut100

Thank you for caring about animals.

I do not shop at Sephora.  I purchase products only from sites/stores I know to be both vertically and horizontally Cruelty Free.

*** Just ONE of the reasons I use WEN BY Chaz Dean - absolutely Cruelty Free  - ALWAYS HAS BEEN!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I could get the CF products elsewhere, I would.

I'd, also, let Sephora know my concerns about them selling non-CF products and why I'm not buying anything from them. Big changes start from grassroots.

Always try to contact the CEO or President of a company. Sometimes, it takes some work to find their contact info, but, it's worth it if it's important to you that you get your message across. 

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.” -- George Orwell, 1984

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Haircut100 wrote:

@Haircut100

I do not shop at Sephora.  I purchase products only from sites/stores I know to be both vertically and horizontally Cruelty Free.

@Drythe, this is a good idea.  Can you give me some sites to visit?  My problem is that I'm a woman of color and I can't hop around from manufacturer to manufacturer as it's difficult enough as it is to find a good match.  Thanks.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Haircut100 wrote:

@Haircut100

@Drythe, this is a good idea.  Can you give me some sites to visit?  My problem is that I'm a woman of color and I can't hop around from manufacturer to manufacturer as it's difficult enough as it is to find a good match.  Thanks.

@itiswhatitis

I'm posting from IPhone & away from home. It may take me a day or two, but I will respond to your query.

Best to you.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Haircut100 wrote:

@Haircut100

@itiswhatitis

I'm posting from IPhone & away from home. It may take me a day or two, but I will respond to your query.

Best to you.

@Drythe thank you much Heart

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Don't be so sure that the "cruelty free" products that you are buying in good faith - really are cruelty free. I worked in the beauty industry for years and the company I worked for had their own line of products. The company would advertise, "we do not test on animals."  The caveat was, no, WE did not test on animals ... but that didn't mean that our suppliers didn't. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Regular Contributor

If Macy's, for example, had its own line of beauty products and they were not CF, then I would not buy other products from them either. The question specifically refers to Sephora, versus Ulta, for example, since both stores have their own house brands (Sephora Brand, Ulta Brand).

By the way, there is a CF online retailer (credobeauty) who sells only non-CF, natural, etc. They have a huge selection of products, but no sales or rewards system.

Esteemed Contributor

@Haircut100 wrote:

If Macy's, for example, had its own line of beauty products and they were not CF, then I would not buy other products from them either. The question specifically refers to Sephora, versus Ulta, for example, since both stores have their own house brands (Sephora Brand, Ulta Brand).

By the way, there is a CF online retailer (credobeauty) who sells only non-CF, natural, etc. They have a huge selection of products, but no sales or rewards system.

I understood your opening post very well.  Like I stated earlier, you'd have to draw the line somewhere if you absolutely will not buy non cruelty free from stores who sell both.  You are left then, only with stand alone stores and that would have to be where YOU draw your line.  You can not buy from the places such as Sephora, Ulta and the like.  Same for Macy's and all department stores who carry a mix of products.

So, I guess you already know you're probably optioning your right to buy only from CF manufacturer websites.

*Call Tyrone*