Honored Contributor

Re: If you use Clairol Root Touchup - Have you noticed a change?

@LeoGrl wrote:
Has anyone who recently purchased this product notice a difference in the product? It's NOT the same product. I have been using this for several years now in between hair salon visits and loved it. I normally purchase the light brown color. Several weeks ago, I used it and noticed the color did not look the same when I was putting in on my hair. I also noticed the consistency was very runny not to mention that it had a strong hair color odor. I just thought I had purchased maybe an old or bad batch. However, I did my hair again about a week ago and had the exact same experience. My roots did not look good at all and had a red tint to it that I never experienced before. My sister also uses this product and called me up and was complaining about the exact same issues I had. I noticed that the boxes I purchased are brand new with a different model on the front. So, after doing a little online research, I found out that Coty purchased Clairol about a year ago. This may explain the change. I'm going to now use my Joan Rivers hair powder exclusively now until my next hair salon visits.

I used it the other day with disasterous results. I turned hot red roots and I am a blonde. I used it for years between hair appointments. Getting it out was near impossible and it did a lot of damage.

All I can say is BEWARE.

Honored Contributor

Companies want to save money so they start cutting corners; however, in the process lose customers.  I could never understand it.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Trinity11 - Oh no, how terrible! See, I knew something was up with this product and that it changed. I don't get some companies. You can't change something and not think that long time customers will not notice the change. Like I mentioned, my sister was upset with how her hair turned out and she said it was so runny, she was afraid of it getting in her eyes. I noticed that too, but kept wiping my forehead with a towel. My end result was a very blech brown color with a reddish tint. My hair used to look great and full (as if some professional did it). That's how my hair used to turn out. Not anymore. I am done with this product. I hope your hair is on the mend and that you are able to get it back to your normal color!
Esteemed Contributor

If you've had trouble with the Clairol Root Touch-up product or any other Clairol hair coloring product I would contact the customer service hotline on the box of the package if you still have it.

Soon after Clairol moved their hair color manufacturing plant to Mexico, they had problems with their Natural Instincts hair color. At the time the package contained a refresher color packet that you were supposed to use 2 weeks after you colored your hair and they put the wrong color refresher packet in the boxes -- I remember that those refresher packets had no color code on them at all. I never used those packets but tossed them out as they looked messy and I had to do enough root touchups that those packets wouldn't have been useful.

I recall there was enough negative feedback on the Clairol website about those refresher color packets that they had to investigate it and they ended up paying for customers to get their hair color fixed at a salon.

So I would call and complain to see if you can get reimbursed for a hair color dye job gone wrong.

Valued Contributor

I actually did contact Clairol via email about my concern that the product changed and my experience with it. I received a very generic response back saying they regret that I was disappointed but thanks for telling them. LOL! I kind of knew that was the response I would get.
New Contributor

Yes, the same thing happened to me today which is why I searched the internet to see if anybody else had the same problem.  I bought two boxes of Dark Blond 7 and the first box, the color came out of the tube a dark red/black  I knew this wasn't right, so opened the second box and it was the usual gold color in the tube. W hen I threw the bad one away I noticed it had a really strange, broken up, runny consistency. Instead of someone perhaps switching the colors in the box (my first guess), I now assume it was just old/bad  Won't be buying again.  Used to be a good, trustworthy product but no more.

New Contributor

Update:  I checked the tubes and they are both shade 7.

Respected Contributor

I've used Clairol Root Touch up for years inbetween coloring and never had a problem until the last time I tried in (summer of 2016).  It was not effective at all, did not color my roots one bit.  I thought I may have purchased an "old" box that was sitting on the shelf but I tried again a month later and again, not coverage. 

Respected Contributor

I prefer the other one. I think its from loreal. Its hard to find. Ithink only cvs sells it now