Respected Contributor

If you live in HIGH HUMIDITY area - How do you keep curls in hair?

I curl my hair daily, it's just part of who I am.

When we go on vacation it's always humid and i KNOW I can't have my curls I have back home but I would like it to stay a little.

If you live somewhere humid, what do you use pre-curling or after to help keep those curls even in humidity?  or, maybe no such product exists? 

Thank you!!

We are having some photos done while on vacation and it will be outside and I would really like to be able to have some curls in my hair for the photos.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you live in HIGH HUMIDITY area - How do you keep curls in hair?

Products for curly hair (to enhance curly hair). Heat styling is a must. SUPER firm hold hairspray.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Products for curly hair (to enhance curly hair). Heat styling is a must. SUPER firm hold hairspray.

@SahmIam  I never thought of that since I have stick straight hair (Most wouldn't know that since I curl it each day) I figured the Curly Hiar line was for people with natural curls, I will for sure check it out, was planning to go to Ulta this weekend.  THANK YOU!!!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl   Using the styling products for curly hair will assist ANY wave you have to come out plus it will help to hold and define the curls you make. Definitely need to use a curling iron or wand and let the curls be completely cool before you do anything with them. Spay the cool curls with curly hair products to help hold the curl and then, after you've styled the hair, spray heavily with the strongest hair spray you can find. I mean, LACQUER IT, baby!! LOL.

Have fun at Ulta!!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl ................curl enhancing products will NOT curl your hair.  It only helps in enhancing already existing curls.

I think unless you want to wear a super hold hair spray you will be fighting a loosing battle trying to have curls out of straight stick hair in humidity.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@SahmIam  - That is EXACTLY what I do even at home, I use a curling iron (I am an 80s girl HA) I curl my entire head, spray, let it cool and sit for a while then start my styling.

The Hairspray I use now is Matrix Vavoom and it holds great! But, I am going to look at the DevaCurl line and see what they have now that you mentioned it!!  THANK YOU - My pocketbook does not think Ulta is "fun" HA!!!

@SahmIam wrote:

@SandGirl   Using the styling products for curly hair will assist ANY wave you have to come out plus it will help to hold and define the curls you make. Definitely need to use a curling iron or wand and let the curls be completely cool before you do anything with them. Spay the cool curls with curly hair products to help hold the curl and then, after you've styled the hair, spray heavily with the strongest hair spray you can find. I mean, LACQUER IT, baby!! LOL.

Have fun at Ulta!!

Honored Contributor

@SandGirl   Being honest, the DivaCurl line has never impressed me. Look at the cheaper/drugstore lines first at Ulta, then at the $$$$ stuff. Treseme' makes some great products.

Respected Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

@SandGirl   Being honest, the DivaCurl line has never impressed me. Look at the cheaper/drugstore lines first at Ulta, then at the $$$$ stuff. Treseme' makes some great products.

@SahmIam  Okay, thank you for the tip, will do!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in a very dry climate. My hair is stick straight. But when it gets humid around here or when I visit places where the humidity is high then my hair becomes a frizzy mess. I have to straighten it when that happens. I don't like curls or waves in my long hair.

Honored Contributor

My hair is straight.  If I curl it and go outside in the humid air, it goes poker straight again.  I have found no product that will hold the curl.  Most products just get gummy and sticky when it is humid out.

it's a losing battle.