Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

Everything is hereditary, however, there are enough studies around that proclaim that you do have some control over your gene expression.

My equation would be a hovering 50/50 at any given point in your life, or a hovering 25/75 in either direction.

For me, when I was in 50's, I had to take way more control with sensible skincare, diet & exercise.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

Thank You all for sharing and making this thread an interesting collaboration of thoughts and ideas about aging and skin. I enjoyed reading the posts!

Yes...eventually we all will just BE OLD no matter the genes and DNA  we have or the super serums we apply. That is just a fact of life!

Of course that is if we are BLESSED to get OLD....  ❤️

Super Contributor

Genetics. I'm 66 and no one can ever guess my age. When I was 40, people thought I was 25.  My Mom looks much younger than her 88 years, and my younger sister who is 55 is always mistaken for being in her 30's.

Respected Contributor

When your DIL wishes she had your skin, you know you must be doing something right LOL.

Honored Contributor

I have great skin at age 66---mostly genetics in my case but my mom pounded it in to me in my teens to take care of my skin!!! And the skincare is vastly improved too--I am a skincare addict---and have many things that work well for me----I don't use just one product brand but many--take any make up off at night and use sunscreen-----also drinking lots of water thru the day helps me too and trying to deal with stress is another thing I do--have had an emormous amount of that these past few years---stress really is the devil!!!!  But if I had a boatload of $$ I would do a few things like get rid of the bags under my eyes--something I have had all my life!!!

Honored Contributor

One of the doctors, one I definitely respect, maintains most of the medical problems we face have about a 5% genetic cause with life style choices controlling the other 95%.   He counsels me always to make my choices based on what I can change rather than bemoaning the genetics because they are what they are.  

Respected Contributor

I have been blessed by great genetics and good sunscreen!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

I was not blessed with great skin ... all went to my siblings. I have always taken care of my skin with good skincare and good makeup so in my 20 thru mid 40's my skin was okay and I've always looked younger than biological age. When peri-menopause struck, I would get hormonal cystic pimples that were huge and embarrassing as all get out. I eventually found Proactive worked for me after going to a dermatologist who prescribed products that basically blistered my face. I was a mess. Sigh.

All of the effort to rid myself of the horrible cysts have left me with less than perfect skin. I just do my best to to look as good as I can and don't really worry if I look old ... cuz I am kinda old, but I have a hubby who adores me.

After spending the last 4 weeks recovering from an emergency operation (not in any way life threatening) I am just happy to be on mend and if I have some wrinkles around my eyes, I probably earned them. Lol.
"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Genetics! I never had acne. Nor did my mother or my dad to my knowledge. Mom had a beautiful complexion all her life. I have nice facial skin for 70. I did my share of suntanning and burning in my teens and twenties (fair skin). The damage is most evident on my chest-décolleté area. Wrinkly, uneven tone and age spots. I have lived in Florida three years and developed my first skin cancer. Lower shin. Had it removed last week. So even with the good genes, if I could go back in time, I would be way more conscious of limiting time in the sun and using sunscreen. 

As far as products, I don't believe in miracles. Moisturizer, a couple of serums. Sunscreen of course. 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I'm 67 and have excellent skin---think genes play a huge role here--my mom had great skin too. have taken great care of it since my teen age years---my DD has great skin too--instilled in her the need to take care of her skin as well. But......if I had a boatload of extra cash just floating around----in a NY minute, I would get the bags under my eyes "done"---been there all my life and I wouldn't miss them at all----