Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

I'm turning 65 this week & have been complimented on my skin for over 30 yrs. No one believes my age.Some of it is genetic for sure but good skincare has definitely played a role.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

I was a redhead and grew up on the beaches in Southern California so my skin is not great.  I think I was 35 before I realized I would never get tan - just burn, blister and peel.  

Trusted Contributor

I would say 75% from good genes and 25% from myself taking care of me for all these years. I've always used sunscreen and good skincare products. I am 61 and am often mistaken for around 50.  The only lines/wrinkles I have are some small smile lines around the outside corners of my eyes. I have never, nor would I ever have any work done on my face.  I plan on aging gracefully.  My mother, and her mother, both looked much younger than their actual age. 

Trusted Contributor

@judy0330  I am the same way. I was never a sun worshipper, preferring to be inside as opposed to outside. When I was outside, I was always in the shade.  I am also white as a ghost but I'm fine with it. 

Honored Contributor

Most people on here think their skin looks good for their age and they look 10-20 years younger. We must all be doing something right! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Most people say "I don't look my age".  When we are close up in a mirror putting on makeup, doing hair, whatever we show no expression.  So you will not see expression lines. We all look good close up in mirrors.

Also, most of us don't look at ourselves sideways (side profie - neck, jowls, bending over, etc).  Take selfie side shots of your face bending down slightly as if you were going to pick something up.

The best way is to take a video of yourself walking around, bending over, and showing all sides of yourself.  This will really assess if you need some help.

Caution: Only do this if you have a strong stomach.Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

I say it's 50/50. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mother and her 4 sisters had exquisite skin, and I was headed in the right direction until I lost 110 pounds and had a complicated eye surgery that required the use of clamps on my right cheek to hold my eye open.

My wonderful 93 yo aunt has amazing skin, and her pricey moisturizer of choice was VASOLINE (Spell-check strikes again!).

Me? I've tried EVERYTHING, and my skin looks like a gulley in a drought.

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

There are other factors that affect wrinkles and whatnot regardless of healthy eating, skin products, etc. For instance, some people tend to have jowels and feel bad about it but in chinese face reading, those are known as 'money bags' and are a positive thing. Also, just as body shapes differ, so do skin types. Some have naturally porcelain skin and others lean towards more texture. It's just more evidence of a person's personality type. 

@ThinkingOutLoud 

You sound like one smart cookie, Cookie.

I'm not sure why we spend so much of our time and energy battling our genetics.

We all have aspects of ourselves that are less than sterling, but we also have what others may want.  That auburn hair you admire on the girl at work might be the thing she hates most about herself.  She'd kill for your mousy brown mop.

We should be happy with what we have going for us and appreciate the things that give us a clue to our genetic background.

Why train our kids to hate what we've given them?

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I am complemented on my skin quite a lot.

Before 20, I had experienced 2 sun strokes and either passed out (I was probably dehydrated) or got sick.  NOT fun! 

I used to sit out on our once a year vacation.  We didn't have good sunscreen for years.  After about 10 years, I wore hats at the beach, and began with hats that had UVA/UVB protection when I found one that shaded my shoulders too.  

I got to where I just didn't want to be in the sun so I bought a protective cabanna for the beach.

I also bought Oakley sunglasses for skiers.  The lense wraps around your eyes, so I have no wrinkles there unless I laugh.  I LOVE those sunglasses!  I can see through bright fog- anything!!!

At about 30, I developed cystic acne.  After a number of hydrocortizone injections all over my face at the cyst site, he put me on Retin A.

I lost a decade to bad skin care going through a lot of toxic stuff.  Merdena Cleanser Lotion (Formerly Acqua Glycolic) has been taking care if the pore business, it's a miracle worker.

I didn't inherit good skin from my mother.  By the time I was old enough to notice, she was using "pancake makeup", tanned with baby oil and iodine, and had large pores which my grandparents did not.

I don't have any dark age spots, only a very few of the red "dots".