Honored Contributor

If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

How much do think is due to genetics...VS products and lifestyle?

I have good skin at age 65 and always get complimented on it..

....but I have been complimented on my good skin all my life. Even as a child...

I have used sunscreen and good skincare products and good nutrition  for the last 35years...

but in my youth...( up to age 30)not so much..no sunscreen, no special skincare at all...  ETC.

I give  my good skin Today at Age 65:

a  90% from good genes 

10% from good skincare and nutrition the last 35 years

Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

@SeaMaiden ITA with you.  I have great skin, always have and I give every ounce of credit to my mom and my memere.  At age 60  I have minimal wrinkles, no veins that show in my legs and my skin is soft all over.  I was the very same way with poor sunscreen habits when I was young but it wasn't really a big deal back then.   I have been an organic eater most of my life and use very little make up or skin product.  I have always felt that less is more.   Thankfully I did always use sunscreen on my kids and they have good skin too.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have really good skin at age 60 plus....with no fillers or work work done...

@SeaMaiden 

My skin looks great too (in my 60's) 

It might have a bit to do with genetics.... however

during my 20's I spent very little time outside or in the sun;  I didn't avoid it on purpose just I didn't have then"opportunity". I was working on establishing my career which was indoors (healthcare).

''In my 30's a dermatologist prescribed retin A for me to use. He admonished me to ALWAYS use sunscreen which I did ... spf 50 and above (Anthelios LaRochePosay). 

Also, I began wearing turtlenecks all year round.

During the last 15 years, I became less consistent about using sunscreen. It only took 1 year of wearing more open-neck tops and being outside in them (last summer) to begin seeing dark spots! 

YES I'M WEARING SUNSCREEN AGAIN! RELIGIOUSLY!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

I have great skin and virtually no wrinkles -- as did my mother at my age and older.  I believe the other factor is that I have always preferred indoors to outdoors and have never been a sun worshiper.  I hate being white as a ghost -- but I guess it's a tradeoff.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

How much do think is due to genetics...VS products and lifestyle?

I have good skin at age 65 and always get complimented on it..

....but I have been complimented on my good skin all my life. Even as a child...

I have used sunscreen and good skincare products and good nutrition  for the last 35years...

but in my youth...( up to age 30)not so much..no sunscreen, no special skincare at all...  ETC.

I give  my good skin Today at Age 65:

a  90% from good genes 

10% from good skincare and nutrition the last 35 years

@SeaMaiden   I think it's 50/50. I've seen women that claim to have good genes (skin related), but have "messed up" by not caring for their skin properly. Women who started with "bad" skin have turned it around by using good products on a regular basis.

Respected Contributor

Just as a refreshing and much needed contrast here, I'm 65 and my skin looks terrible. Woman Frustrated

Esteemed Contributor

@pupwhipped What is your routine?    Beauty products and diet if you care to say.

We have some good trained professionals here  who might be able to help.

Just a suggestion....................

Respected Contributor

There are other factors that affect wrinkles and whatnot regardless of healthy eating, skin products, etc. For instance, some people tend to have jowels and feel bad about it but in chinese face reading, those are known as 'money bags' and are a positive thing. Also, just as body shapes differ, so do skin types. Some have naturally porcelain skin and others lean towards more texture. It's just more evidence of a person's personality type. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Primarily genetics.  The women (and men) in my family age really well.

I'm 78 (rapidly advancing to 79) .... skin is in good shape.  Peolple are frequently surprised when they learn how old I am.

I've been exfoliating daily (soap and water and exfoliating bath gloves) since I was in my early 40s.   I've use a Facial Flex ever since QVC first sold them.  And,  Avon's Dramatic Firming Cream.  (I had stopped for a month or so - was gettng an irritation where "The MASK" rubbed against my face. Back using it again. Changed mask brands.)

Never go outside with a "bare face."  I wear makeup everyday - and avoid prolonged sun exposure.  (I won't use sunscreen - tried it once on the top of my feet because I was wearing sandals  ... and it melted my toenail polish - no way I'm putting that on my skin.) 

Respected Contributor

i am 72 and i think my skin looks pretty darned good.  i have some wrinkles.  i am 72 LOL.   i have a couple of very small age spots but i am not too bothered by them. i have not had any fillers, etc. and  like @ALRATIBA  i do not wear sunscreen  but i do wear foundation every day, and when i am going to be outside for a prolonged period i will wear foundation that has more sunscreen in it.   honestly, when i was really young, i was a sun worshiper and so i am lucky that my skin looks as good as it does today.  i'm ok with how i look.