Super Contributor

Re: If you have purchased a vitamix are you happy you did?

I love my Vitamix. I use it daily for a smoothie. I keep it out on the counter and it so easy to just pull it out and use it. I have the 64 oz. container that came with mine but bought a 48 oz and use it all the time now. I also have a dry container that I bought at a good deal on QVC. Try the Vitamix I believe you will love it!
Honored Contributor

On 7/7/2014 aprilskies said:

For those that make green smoothies, does this make them to aerated and frothy or do they come out pretty good? I know this make be a silly question but just wanted to be sure.

I regretted not buying it yesterday as the tsv. I figured I would get it from Costco since it will be easy enough to return if need be, but right, I dont know that I need a 64 oz container. I have been contemplating getting a juicer but think I would rather get a vitamix even though maybe both would be good. But, I am not getting both.

Get the Vitamix. With a juicer, you're tossing good stuff when you pitch that pulp in the trash. With the Vitamix, it all goes in. The consistency of your smoothie drink depends on what you put in it and how long your process it.

Honored Contributor

On 7/7/2014 aprilskies said:

For those that make green smoothies, does this make them to aerated and frothy or do they come out pretty good? I know this make be a silly question but just wanted to be sure.

I regretted not buying it yesterday as the tsv. I figured I would get it from Costco since it will be easy enough to return if need be, but right, I dont know that I need a 64 oz container. I have been contemplating getting a juicer but think I would rather get a vitamix even though maybe both would be good. But, I am not getting both.

Cleaning a juicer is yucky! Plus you lose a lot of nutrients along with the fiber.

A Vitamix is a lifetime investment. It took me a while to get used to it, now I use mine daily.

It's a SNAP to clean!

Honored Contributor

I have a 2 speed Vitamix with a wet and a dry container. It was a waste of money. The 2 speeds are fast and faster. Everything becomes a liquid in a matter of seconds.

We do not drink smoothies or liquid watery soup, so it collects dust in my basement.

I think, however, that the multiple speed Vitamix would be a better item. I suppose it depends on what you would use it for. It is not a 13 in 1 appliance in my opinion.

Honored Contributor

I inherited my moms 33 year old Vitamix that still runs fine. I use it daily but would love a brand new one. I think you have to figure out exactly what you want to do it in and if you will use it regularly. I use mine for morning smoothies and have ground up whole grains for flour and made peanut butter too. I haven't made the hot things in it yet or the ice cream things either. The machine doesn't cook; it just heats it all up. I don't crush ice in it either. And I don't spend a ton of money on produce for my smoothies. I try to buy fresh in bulk and freeze it so there is no waste. I buy huge bags of greens from the local Cash and Carry and costco and if there is a sale on fruit, I will buy in bulk for the freezer too, otherwise I buy frozen fruit. I think knowing what you want to use the Vitamix for is key though. That is alot of money to have just sitting there. I just may get out my Vitamix recipe books and try out some new things. Wish I could post a pic of what mine looks like--its all stainless steel except for the top.{#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

Here are a couple 'point of inspiration' pieces to get you started. It's what got me started...hope it helps!

Victoria Boutenko, "Green for Life" is an excellent book (quick read). She really started the green smoothie movement back in the mid-2000's.

Tera Warner, "Raw Diva", has an excellent 3-Day, 7-Day smoothie challenges. Her sites & materials are super informative & bright & pretty! I've attached a sample calendar of her 7-day detox...remember, this doesn't have to be low-calorie...you can easily increase the amt of fruits to reach the 1,600-2,000 per day calorie requirement.

http://www.bodyenlightenment.me/green-smoothie-challenge

http://www.terawarner.com/7daydetox/7daydivadetox.pdf

On YouTube, 'Green Smoothie Girl' and 'Fully Raw Kristina' has a BUNCH of videos to get you started. You'll find a lot of 'raw food' references since a VitaMix is a kitchen staple for the raw food way of eating.

Good Luck!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Occasional Contributor

I hemmed and hawed about buying one and I settled on buying a refurnished 5200 directly from vitamix and so happy that I did. It comes with the larger container, which will not fit under the cabinet on the counter, but for an additional $99 I got the 48 oz. container (brand new). I figured I would use the larger one more in the winter when I make a large batch of soup, etc.

I use it every day for making smoothies and love it. The cost was $299 plus $99 for the 48 oz container. I used a code given to me by my nutritionist for free shipping.

Super Contributor

On 7/7/2014 Carmie said:

I have a 2 speed Vitamix with a wet and a dry container. It was a waste of money. The 2 speeds are fast and faster. Everything becomes a liquid in a matter of seconds.

We do not drink smoothies or liquid watery soup, so it collects dust in my basement.

I think, however, that the multiple speed Vitamix would be a better item. I suppose it depends on what you would use it for. It is not a 13 in 1 appliance in my opinion.

I don't think I would use a 2-speed either but I really enjoy my variable speed. I just don't see having good control with only 2 speeds.
Valued Contributor

I have the 6300 that I bought from Costco. We use ours multiple times every single day.

I believe in the product so much that I bought the 7500 for my daughter and her husband just last month.

You just can't beat the Vitamix. No other machine does what it does. I will always have one.

Respected Contributor

On 7/7/2014 Andy11 said:

Hi aprilskies, I would not get a juicer. I would get the Vitamix. I have both. I use my Vitamix at least two times a day. It is the best investment for my kitchen I have ever made and I have many appliances.

I wasted money on the Ninja and Montel Williams' machine. I wish I had just bought the Vitamix and saved myself a lot of money. You will not regret this purchase. I have sold the Vitamix to many people (brother, friends, cousins, etc.), and they all purchased right here on QVC (QVC should give me a commission). They have the best return policy should you not like it. Besides, what it does for your skin drinking all those vegetables is amazing. Also, customer service at Vitamix is absolutely wonderful. I splintered my tamper (don't ask lol) and they replaced it with no questions asked.

Good luck

Thank you, Andy11. Yes, I have tried several as well, even the more powerful Ninja 1500 but I didnt find it made smooth green drinks, unless it was user error. The juicer I am putting on hold for now but I am still enticed, I have to say. They make ones now that make smoothies, nut butters, nut milk, and sorbet and supposedly easier to clean - and are quiet in operation. Am I going to make all that, not sure. So, its appealing but I think the Vitamix is the best choice for now. I do wish it wasnt so loud. The ninja would literally make me nuts with the noise but smoothies dont take long and they are well worth it.

Why dont you use your juicer besides the pulp waste and the cleaning aspect of it?

Thanks again.