Honored Contributor

If you have grey hair, here's what Bobbi Brown says about your makeup...

[ Edited ]

I just read an article on Yahoo where Bobbi Brown says if you're wearing your hair grey or salt and pepper, you need to stay away from neutral coloring makeup.  Here are excerpts from the article:

Don’t stray away from color

In the same effort of looking alive and not washed out, Brown recommends leaning into color on the eyes, lips, and cheeks—even if that means stepping away from your normal neutral tones.

“You need pops of color, there’s no question,” she said.  

Define eyes with eyeliner

To give the eyes some contrast against gray locks, Brown uses eyeliner. “It’s really great when you use an eye pencil that works with your color—so for women with blue eyes, there’s nothing more beautiful than a navy,” she added. “Navy is great for women with white hair.”

For people with medium-toned skin and gray or white hair, she suggests using a dark brown liner. For those with dark skin, she said black liner will help the eyes stand out.

Go for glitter

Despite what others might say, you never outgrow a little sparkle—there’s no such thing as being “too old” for a beauty trend.

“My general rule of thumb is to choose two places on your face to add sparkle to, and it will add just the right amount of shimmer to complete any makeup look,” Brown said. That could be in the form of a glimmery eyeshadow, a cream highlighter or a sparkly lip gloss.

Honored Contributor

Re: If you have grey hair, here's what Bobbi Brown says about your makeup...

@San Antonio Gal   Thanks for posting and I agree. When my hair was grey/silver/white, browns, taupes, etc. were tossed...makeup and clothing.

Especially with fair to medium skin, blush and a brighter lipstick are necessary, no longer an option. 

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, May I please ask a question on your blog? I mean no offense. Not sure how to enter a blog. Many Thanks, Does anyone of you sweetladies have the correct address to send and ask Social Team a question. Appreciate you all. Many thanks

Honored Contributor

Here you go @sligo :

QVCSocialTeam@qvc.com

Trusted Contributor

@San Antonio Gal, Many thanks!!!!!!( SOCIALTEAM Hopefully they will help me)

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

Love this, thanks for postinng it!  Its nice to know that I'm doing some things right with my makeup.  Just have trouble wearing shimmers on my eyes because of allergies but do enjoy adding highlight to upper cheeks, etc.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - I thought you didn't think women over 50 should use dark eyeliner or glimmery eyeshadow?  You often talk about neutral colors.  

Honored Contributor

Because I know that my hair is not a pretty gray nor a good texture and I think BB's recommendations make sense, I will continue to color my hair until I am no longer in control.   

Far better for me than risking makeup beyond a brow pencil anywhere near my eyes.  I already have too many bad eye days from atmospheric conditions let alone adding a speck of mascara or glitter.

Honored Contributor

If your skin is in the yellow or warm range, her comments can make sense.   

I once saw her do a full makeup.  Her comment that even if you have pink undertones you should use a yellow based foundation makeup made no sense, and it looked terrible on the woman who was being worked on.   

While there's often interesting ideas coming from "experts", I never found her advice to be particularly insightful ...  or helpful.      

JMO, of course.   

Respected Contributor

I appreciate any advice, but you have to decide for yourself what you feel is flattering & comfortable for you.

Some of the people that give the most advice about makeup are just repeating what they have heard other people say or such general statements that they really don't address any individual's needs.

I like Bobbi Brown just fine. I have never loved her makeup or her one size fits all statements. And, the yellow foundation of pink skin was one of hers that made no sense & will live on forever!

I will agree with her statement "There’s no such thing as being “too old” for a beauty trend."

Try everything. Try anything. Then decide what you like. Don't adhere to it just because a "professional" or a "trend" says it's the thing to do!