Valued Contributor

Re: If you color your hair at home....

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz,

I always use a clarifying shampoo the week I plan on doing a color of all my hair.  I wait a few days for it to be somewhat "dirty" then apply the color.  The clarifying shampoo removes all the product build-up and allows the color to penetrate better for a truer color, I believe.

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

I usually use Garnier but if I can find either Vidal Sassoon or L'Oreal Olia on sale I stock up as much as I can (I have "allegedly" dark brown hair so I am flexible on the color range . . . Smiley Happy).  

When folks tell me they like my blonde hair I just tell them "thanks but my natural color is gray."  I have not been a brunette for many years and I loved it but once the gray came on in my early 20's I went over to the light side.  I have been thinking of doing the color myself with one of the brands mentioned here but I am scared I will turn it orange.  Plus my hair is down to my waist so no telling what I would end up with.  Still I would love to save the $$. 

If you use a shade that has 'ash' or 'cool' in the name, it will neutralize any reddish or brassy tones.

Especially for brunette color.

My hair is dark-ish brown, and I allways do this myself since my hair "pulls"red.

Contributor

So, my hair used to be blonde.  Now it is a light to medium brown with a little bit of grey.  Would you recommend this product for my hair?  Thank you!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Question for you ladies....how often do you or should you put the haircolor from root to ends?  I thought your supposed to put it on roots only to color and cover gray....then somewhere in the middle apply the rest of hair.  I do not know if this is correct.  I have asked my hair dresser to do this but she won't.  She says you can only put on a demi- color on ends.  When we do this it doesn't last at all...in days it's all faded out so I just get my roots covered only now.  My hair is faded out alot looking....am thinking I should begin to to my coloring at home and only get haircuts every 4weeks.

Esteemed Contributor

@tweety123

Because of how this particular forum works, it is unclear who you are asking regarding which product to use.

I just came back to the forums after a long break, and someone let me know that I would have to "tag" the person I was replying to in order for them to get a notification that I'd posted a reply directed at them.

All you have to do is go to the post you were replying to and then click on "reply."

When the reply box appears, type "@" and a list of user names should appear.  Click on the name of the person you are replying to, and then type your response.  That way, the person will get a notification that you've mentioned them in a thread, so they will come back to the thread and see your comment or question.

Hope that helps you get your answer!!

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I use Garnier Nutrisse, but I'm seeing responses that are making me question if maybe I should try something else.

I use shade 452 (Dark Reddish Brown).  Though it says it's brown, it's more of a red, IMO.  I like the color, but I think I may want to go just a bit lighter, and I don't like how the next lightest shade in the line looks on me.

It's so hard to find the right red color.  So many of them look too orangey, or are too bright of a red for my liking.

I find that the Garnier Nutrisse leaves my hair feeling as dry as it was before I colored it (no worse, but no better).  The haircolor I used before the Garnier made my hair feel better after I colored it, but they changed the formula and I had to abandon it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice auburn haircolor that doesn't leave the hair feeling dry?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Welcome back, @mistriTsquirrel - nice to see ya.  8)

Adorable avatar, BTW!

Esteemed Contributor

@feline groovy

Thanks, feline groovy!!!

You were "feline fine," weren't you?

Or am I just a confused squirrel?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Leeny wrote:

I use Clairol Nice and Easy in the lightest blonde. I use a cap and my hubby pulls it through for me. I do the color application for 1 hour and it lifts all the brown and reds out. I also use a cap while waiting for it to process into a nice white blonde. No brassiness with this. I rinse it out and it looks like I had it done professionaly. My stylist says my hubby does a great job. This way it saves me $40 too. The color is about $10 and I get my caps at Sallys Boutique.  My hair doesn't get all dried out either from doing it this way. I have my DH pull hair out through all the holes.

@Leeny LOL!!! No way would DH do that for me. He hates it when I ask him to trim the ends of my hair. He does cut his own hair with a FlowBee. Smiley Wink

FlowBee  lol

Honored Contributor

You'ze confuzed, @mistriTsquirrel.

But that's OK - many of us are at times.  ;-)