Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you color your hair at home....

Another vote for Colorsilk. 

I just do my roots.  I have to do it about every other week usually. My roots are so white!  I get professional highlights twice a year.

Respected Contributor

I use Nice and Easy with Root Touch Up thrown in every so often.  You can do the root touch up in about 10 minutes.   I guess I need to branch out and try another brand but I always worry about possible bad reactions or outcomes!

Respected Contributor

I used L'oreal for many years with excellent results.  Now that I've made the decision to jump on the highlight train, I will let my hairdresser take care of this.  I enjoy my time at the salon catching up on the latest gossip.  Worth every penny.  LOL

Frequent Contributor

I use Clariol Age Defy for my all over base color. Then I highlight with any product that can be used on dark hair for blonde highlights. I never use the cap - I just paint on. Total cost $20.

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

Another vote for Colorsilk

I just do my roots.  I have to do it about every other week usually. My roots are so white!  I get professional highlights twice a year.

Same.
Same!

Love your adorable avatar, BTW.  

Honored Contributor

I used John Frieda foam.  Like it because it stays where you put it and doesn't drip.  I use golden brown.  I believe it's 5A.  Looks just like the box.  I recolor every two months or so.  No set schedule.

Frequent Contributor

I use Clairol Professional soy 4 plex creme permanent color and Clairol 20 developer that I get at Sally's. When I paid to get my hair colored thats what they used. I only do my roots every 4 weeks. 

Honored Contributor

L'Oreal Excellence: 

Pros: Great colors, covered my grays well, loved the applicator, long-lasting color, consistent color

Cons: Ammonia, odor

Revlon Colorsilk:

Pros: large color selection, no ammonia, hair feels healthy after coloring, very inexpensive

Cons: inconsistent color.

I've used nearly everything at the drugstore and these are my favorites. I've switched to Revlon because it's ammonia-free and leaves my hair feeling much healthier when I finish coloring, but I preferred the actual color results I got from L'Oreal.

Trusted Contributor

I actually stopped coloring my hair at home about 5 months ago.  But, when I did color my hair, the best hair color was Schwarzkopf.  I used Macadamia Brown.  It was gorgeous.  And the color seemed to last better than all the other top brands. 

I now go to the hair salon because I also get highlights!

Honored Contributor

You all have me thinking again now.  I've always used Garnier and I want to say I tried Colorsilk back in the day but went back.   I may try it again now.  The coupons I always have for Garnier have been drying up lately.