Valued Contributor

If you color your hair at home....

What is your favorite brand to use and why?  Thanks in advance

Respected Contributor

Re: If you color your hair at home....

I won't ever try "all over color" again  - now I prefer to use a highlighting kit because I think it looks more natural.  Box color is so sketchy - you never know what color it is going to be - it never comes how the color on the box. 

Valued Contributor

I buy from Sally's, either the Ion or One n' Only Argan brand. If I had to buy from the drugstore, it would be L'oreal brand.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Revlon Colorsilk exclusively for the last 20 years, permanent, but gentle no ammonia formula. Works for me!!!

Under $3 at Walmart and Target.

I use Dark Auburn # 31

Honored Contributor

I use L'oreal Feria to lighten my hair a bit to camouflage the gray.  My hair is naturally light brown.  It lightens the brown a couple of shades and gives me soft champagne shades to the white/gray.  Looks just like natural highlights.  Because there isn't a drastic color difference ... I don't have a problem with new growth.  Roots are barely noticeable. 

The guy who cuts and styles my hair agrees that it looks good.  

I chose Feria because it gives me the color / shading / intensity that I like.  I've used it for years.

Respected Contributor

Clairol Nice and Easy. For years.  Sometimes I vary the color a bit.  I like the way it covers and how is gives a bit of highlighting.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I use Revlon Colorsilk exclusively for the last 20 years, permanent, but gentle no ammonia formula. Works for me!!!

@Shelbelle  I could have written this........only difference is I think I've been using it longer than 20 years!  I use the No. 95 blonde shade (since they discontinued the No. 91.  Not all stores carry this shade.

Laura loves cats!
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle  Absolutely hands down on Color Silk.  I've been using it also for years mainly because of the price and the fact the color lasts at least on me for about 3 months before I need to color again.  I use either dark brown or soft dark brown when I can find that color in the stores. 

Valued Contributor

I actually used the Revlon ammonia free product today. Great price and I even had a coupon so maybe spent 2 dollars and 50 cents on the box. The shade I used was Light Golden Brown. The color is what I expected. I used to use Garnier Nutresse (priced well) but Revlon is still cheaper.
Valued Contributor

I've tried most of the ones mentioned, but I prefer Schwarzkopf Color Ultime for deep brunettes from Claudia Schiffer which I get from Walmart.  The color is rich and beautiful and long-lasting.  I've tried various shades in that line with the next being for the fall season, Cinnamon Brown.  If you watch the weekend paper, you can catch a coupon off for the product.  I also use her conditioners and shampoos when there is a coupon.