Honored Contributor

Re: If you color your hair at home....

[ Edited ]

I have been using Tints of Nature. I like it because it's 100% free from ammonia, resorcinol and parabens. Trying to use something healthier on my hair. I like the clairifying shampoo that comes with it to use before coloring. It does not dry out my hair & leave it all frizzy. It also comes with a hydrating shampoo/conditioner to use after coloring that leaves my hair hydrated. It's easy to use & does not have that chemical smell.

It's strange that it says to wash with the clairifying shampoo & towel dry hair before coloring? I did that once & thought it was strange. I now wash my hair wait a day & color the next day like I always have.

I consider my hair light brown so I use medium blonde but my hair is not blonde IMO. My girlfriend says it looks like I have highlights.

Respected Contributor

I use Clairol Nice and Easy in the lightest blonde. I use a cap and my hubby pulls it through for me. I do the color application for 1 hour and it lifts all the brown and reds out. I also use a cap while waiting for it to process into a nice white blonde. No brassiness with this. I rinse it out and it looks like I had it done professionaly. My stylist says my hubby does a great job. This way it saves me $40 too. The color is about $10 and I get my caps at Sallys Boutique.  My hair doesn't get all dried out either from doing it this way. I have my DH pull hair out through all the holes.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny wrote:

I use Clairol Nice and Easy in the lightest blonde. I use a cap and my hubby pulls it through for me. I do the color application for 1 hour and it lifts all the brown and reds out. I also use a cap while waiting for it to process into a nice white blonde. No brassiness with this. I rinse it out and it looks like I had it done professionaly. My stylist says my hubby does a great job. This way it saves me $40 too. The color is about $10 and I get my caps at Sallys Boutique.  My hair doesn't get all dried out either from doing it this way. I have my DH pull hair out through all the holes.

@Leeny LOL!!! No way would DH do that for me. He hates it when I ask him to trim the ends of my hair. He does cut his own hair with a FlowBee. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I usually use Garnier but if I can find either Vidal Sassoon or L'Oreal Olia on sale I stock up as much as I can (I have "allegedly" dark brown hair so I am flexible on the color range . . . Smiley Happy).  

Super Contributor

I have been using John Frieda.  It stays on long and is very easy to apply.   I do not like the runny color applications.  This is a mousse.

Honored Contributor

L'Oreal Excellence. It gives my hair body and shine as an added benefit and I have found any grays that I have are always well covered. I try and match my hair color that I had as a child.....a very pale blonde shade and strangers often ask me where I get it done. It is very natural looking and I like that the shine is still there.

The few times I have gone for touch ups at a salon, the results are never as consistent and shiny.

Respected Contributor

Clairol's Nice 'N Easy light ash blond for me. Do it once every other month or when needed. DH says I'm his blond bombshell. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

I tried them all and the most natural looking is 

perfect 10 by clairol.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

I usually use Garnier but if I can find either Vidal Sassoon or L'Oreal Olia on sale I stock up as much as I can (I have "allegedly" dark brown hair so I am flexible on the color range . . . Smiley Happy).  

When folks tell me they like my blonde hair I just tell them "thanks but my natural color is gray."  I have not been a brunette for many years and I loved it but once the gray came on in my early 20's I went over to the light side.  I have been thinking of doing the color myself with one of the brands mentioned here but I am scared I will turn it orange.  Plus my hair is down to my waist so no telling what I would end up with.  Still I would love to save the $$. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I color the roots and don't pull the color through the ends as I have long hair that's to where the bra strap meets the bra. I have various brands of hair color stored under the sink in medium brown including Revlon Colorsilk, Clairol Nice n Easy, and Garnier. I also have some root touch up kits. I'm reusing the tall skinny applicator bottle that comes with the L'Oreal Root Rescue kit with the applicator nozzle top from the Clairol Nice n Easy kit since I generally use a half a box of regular hair color to do a root touch up -- 1 oz of color and 1 oz of peroxide for a total of 2 oz.