Honored Contributor

If you are looking for a change in Hair Stylists

give an Aveda Hair Salon a chance.  I don't know anyone that works for Aveda but rather making a suggestion.   I am currently with one and I receive a massage when the shampoo girl applies the conditioner.  Some salons even massage hands (depends on the salon).  Only Aveda products are used on your hair.  You will receive a decent haircut.  It depends on price sometimes but not always.  My current stylist is $40 and she is the best stylist as far as cutting I have had in a couple of years!  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Re: If you are looking for a change in Hair Stylists

@Katcat1I couldn't agree more. I've used an Aveda stylist for 20 years now and if I don't feel like making the trip to her shop, but need a trim or quick style, I will go to the Aveda training school as opposed to stepping outside of the Aveda family.  

I like some of the Aveda haircare products, but for the most part using them at home is a once in a while thing with me.  

Honored Contributor

That’s good to know. I love Aveda products and the hand and foot creams are awesome. We have an Aveda shop in the mall. Thanks for the positive post.

Super Contributor

I agree, they usually have very well-trained stylists. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to Aveda products, so I have to stay away.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think a good haircut is dependent on the salon.  It's the individual stylist.  We had a salon in our mall.  I knew a couple of people that went there and were not happy with their cut.  They went out of business after a while. 

Valued Contributor

I started getting my hair cut at a local Aveda Salon last year and decided the stylist wasn't for me. I"m almost 64 and she is early 30s-late20s. She is very talented, always gave me a nice cut - but not the cut I asked for - even when I took photos in. 

I made an appt for a spiral perm - wanted tight curls and she gave me waves that lasted less than a month. I wish I would have started w/the owner of the salon instead of this stylist but decided to try a different salon instead of switching to the owner of the Aveda salon. . 

New stylist has Vidal Sassoon and Frederic Fekkai hair cutting training. Ended up with a beveled bob and love it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I tried a stylist at an Aveda salon twice and nope, not for me.

The cut was horrible, nothing like what I asked for. Then she used some type of hair thickener that was in powder form. I couldn't run a comb thru my hair and the smell was bad. Like go home and wash your hair bad.

Honored Contributor

I’m now going to an Aveda salon. Saturday will be my second visit. My new hair stylist is the color coach for the salon and she did a great job with my color as well as cut. Aveda has some very vibrant reds, which is what I wasn’t getting with my former stylist. I went to an Aveda salon for many years prior to moving to my current state. Honestly, I’m not quite sure why I just didn’t automatically go to an Aveda salon here. Timing, I guess! And yes, I love the hand massage!

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

@Equuleus Is 100% correct.

Honored Contributor

I moved 3 years ago and needed to find a new salon. I found an Aveda salon one town over and gave them a try. Unfortunately the girl I was assigned with was fresh out of beauty school. I'm accustomed to experienced stylists that know what they are doing. I guess I liked the Aveda brand but was soured and left because of my stylist. I now go to a Kevin Murphy salon. OMG what a difference in my hair!! Its unbelieveable how much nicer and more healthy my hair is/looks! KM brand is a bit pricey but you certainly get what you pay for. Keep in mind I have a short, pixie style and their bottles last forever because I use a pea size (yes a pea size!) when I wash/condition! I hightly recommend Kevin Murphy!!

"Pure Michigan"