Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the many posters who have noticed that Beautypedia is a shell of its former self.  I turned to it quite often for product reviews.

So, with Beautypedia no longer a legitimate source for product reviews, who or where do you look to? 

Honored Contributor

Re: If Not Beautypedia...Where?

@Quinny wrote:

I agree with the many posters who have noticed that Beautypedia is a shell of its former self.  I turned to it quite often for product reviews.

So, with Beautypedia no longer a legitimate source for product reviews, who or where do you look to? 

Make up alley

Sephora, etc .  

Respected Contributor

@QuinnyI remember when I first found a copy of Paula Begoun's book. I read that thing from cover to cover. It was the first time I could read, in detail, about brands that I had heard about but didn't have access to.

Yes people, I have been alive longer than internet. Thank you Al Gore.

Any way. I did love the information that she gave, but her "reviews" aren't users reviews. More a commentary on the ingredients & why this product will or not work because of these.

I realized that a lot of the products that she said were bad, were actually good for me. And, things that she gave good marks to were awful for me. 

I read most of my reviews on Makeup Alley. You can sort through the reviews a lot of different ways. 

I also will check reviews on store sites. Macy's or Nordstrom. 

I don't use Sephora much. I'm not sure why. The reviews just seem to be more by bloggers than people that really buy & use products.

Honored Contributor

@Quinny, I don't know of any site that is like Beautypedia. All the rest are personal reviews, which are fine but different. I wish there were an alternative to Beautypedia. It was flourishing when run by Paula Begoun, whether you liked it or not. I happen to have found it a useful source, even if I didn't always agree with it.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I think the site is interesting but I always think back to her book when it first came out. I remember it saying not to spend a lot of cleansers because the stuff doesn't even stay on your face that long. So just you Cetaphil or whatever. But then she started selling a bunch of expensive cleansers. I'm sure they offer all sorts of different things for people but I just thought it was a little odd.

Esteemed Contributor

I considered Paula Begoune to be a fair source for cosmetic information when she first began her Don't Go To The Beauty Counter Without Me  series of books. I agree with @pigletsmom that her integrity was compromised when she started the Paula's Choice line.  

I will read opinion reviews, but generally I decide for myself (based on my knowledge) of what beauty products may be good for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

I find Beautypedia fair but I'm just not looking at it much. I think I use google and look at a lot of reviews and read ingredient decks when I'm buying makeup and skincare. 

At the current time I am not buying makeup or skincare online at all. It's bricks and mortar stores now so I can smell the product and sample it or swatch it as most stores including drugstores have testers in Canada.

Respected Contributor

@TY  You are a very smart consumer.  This is far and away the best way to try things.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Influenster dot com. I've been going there more lately. Huge numbers of customer reviews.

Valued Contributor

Found Ingredient Dictionary on Paula's Choice website.

Descriptions, ratings and references for information given.