Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

YES!  ABSOLUTELY!  Saying a "senior" just is avoiding the fact that I am old and I guess that's supposed to make me feel better like I'm too senile toknow I'm O L D?  I'm OLD.  It's ok!  I am very happy to be old.  I am not ashamed of it nor does it makes lesser of a person certainly  not to ME.  If it does to someone else, it's their issue and not mine! 

The term "senior citizens" isn't avoiding the word "old" ---  it MEANS old people.  You'd rather ask for the "old people discount"?  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

You'd rather someone just call you old instead of senior?

YES!  ABSOLUTELY!  Saying a "senior" just is avoiding the fact that I am old and I guess that's supposed to make me feel better like I'm too senile toknow I'm O L D?  I'm OLD.  It's ok!  I am very happy to be old.  I am not ashamed of it nor does it makes lesser of a person certainly  not to ME.  If it does to someone else, it's their issue and not mine! 

I could be thought of as 'OLD' myself but only by others -- I'm curious what your definition of 'OLD' is?  Is there a certain age when one (or a woman) moves from 'young' to 'middle-aged' to 'old'? As the years gain on me I admit I think about this a lot, more than I'd like!  I certainly have lived a full & colorful life; I know I'm 'Wise' but not sure about 'Old'!

Esteemed Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The term "senior citizens" isn't avoiding the word "old" ---  it MEANS old people.  You'd rather ask for the "old people discount"?  Smiley Happy

```````````````````````````````````````

How about we say older people?

I see your response a bit condescending.

Respected Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

No condescention at all.  I've never heard of someone being offended by the universal term for older people ---  senior citizen.

Contributor

I think Joanne is a Very attractive woman - I don't know her age, but I do love watching her on the makeup shows.  I think she is much more attractive than Helen But that is just my opinion

Valued Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

How about saying NOTHING! Why does anyone need to add more adjectives -- sometimes even being referred to as "Woman" gives us a disadvantage.  Age is only a number and no one these days seems to reflect their chronological age.  I use 'Senior' when & if I need to qualify for a service or discount which my age entitles me to.  What matters most to me is how I think of myself and my date of birth is irrelevant (except to others).  I hate that advertisers & agencies use our 'age' as a selling point and we women 'buy' into this too often.  

New Contributor

You read my mind, drives me crazy!

Occasional Contributor

Your post made me laugh...as I totally agree. I think she (Jamie) got new botox. Nothing moves above her brows.

Yes, I can start reciting her sales pitch soon. OK...that would also mean i'm watchign way too much QVC. but i cant help it.

And really, not a fan of "drop dead gorgeous"...no one is drop dead gorgeous. and always saying that she is a "man magnet". Really?!  She doesnt say that about the gorgeous models...only Helen. Not impressed. (no disrespect Helen).

Trusted Contributor

Need more models like JoAnne. I am happy to say I am a SENIOR. Thanks be to God. Have lost many friends before they were able to be called a SENIOR. I LOVE watching Q. Jamie appears natural and sincere.

Super Contributor

Yeah, that's Joanne.

At least the Q lets the models act human. The poor models who work with Adrienne Arpel over on HSN all sit ther with stony expressions -- I wonder if they've been ordered to do so. And the way AA manhandles them! Good thing HSN isn't using HDTV -- then you'd really see the half-done makeup jobs those poor women have when she's done with them. As it is, you can see she doesn't bother to blend the makeup.