Honored Contributor

Re: IT cosmetics Jamie

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I do agree with the OP. As a matter of fact, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the vendor came to Helen and said something like "She's just so adorable."

Helen is not a child. She's an older woman who does not need such condescension, even though I know it's not intended as such. But all of us have seen that kind of attitude toward older people in which they are talked down to as if they are childlike or even feeble.

Calling someone a "senior" is the same thing and is demeaning.  I always say I have graduated, I am just old.

@Sooner, funny but that just doesn't bother me. In fact, I'll call MYSELF a "senior" if it'll get me a discount. :-)

Oh for the love... Now "senior" is demeaning? What, praytell, is the "politically correct" way of addressing an older person? All of my parents' friends and my parents call themselves seniors and they are proud of it! What about the "senior living homes"- does that title offend you (not talking to you Suzyq)? How about "senior centers"? I suppose we can be offended by every little thing if we let it. Sheesh.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess you could call it the "Old People's Center" or the "Old People's Discount." If Senior is offensive....

Esteemed Contributor

I think it's all just part and parcel of a sales pitch. I've seen enough presentations of IT Cosmetics that I kind of glaze over a lot of it. The only thing I buy from this line currently is the CC cream in the tube. I have a beauty stash with 2 - 1 oz tubes and a big 2.53 oz tube and I've given one to my sister who has finally tried and liked this CC cream in the medium shade. I'm giving her a second 1 oz tube to take home with her as she's visiting me.

I'm someone that likes to try different beauty products so I'm not brand loyal.

Trusted Contributor

Re: IT cosmetics Jamie

[ Edited ]

@lizzief wrote:

I agree, it's like nails on a chalk board every time I hear that. Jamie's pitch needs a serious "do over," it's the same thing every time. And "drop dead" gorgeous is not a term I'd use for anyone over 30, and "gorgeous" at 72 (I think Helen hasn't aged in 5 years!), would be reserved for classic beauties - think Sophia Loren or Elizabeth Taylor - not Helen, no disrespect. She looks every bit of 72 IMO

On her sales pitch and on the way-too-tight dresses she wears. She needs to wear dresses that fit rather than what she wears.

Respected Contributor

Can't say

Elderly

Senior

Old

Decrepit

Superannuated (no one knows what that means)

Crone

Codger

Geezer

senescent

antidiluvian

antique

venerable

fossil

So I suggest Olde Phart. The "e" makes "old" more elegant, and "Phart" is a much more refined way to spell that word. 

Valued Contributor

Wowza!!  This topic will never grow OLD eh?  I've been in the Senior category for quite a while, though when qualifying for a consumer discount the age varies like crazy (from 52 to 65) in California.  There is no statutory basis on which a business may base its "senior" age number and many retailers opt out.  The % of sale discount in retail is also not regulated.  I would like to see state or federal legislation to set the standards since we comprise a high percent of the nation's population.

I'm so used to having titles that nothing fazes me (Miss, Mrs., Attorney, Ms., Boss, Mom, Dear, Honey.....etc) and the only one which bugs me still is "Ma'am"!  It's just so........OLD.

I do like the original Native American/Cherokee term "ELDER" because their tradition is one of gender equality and, even better, their Elders who make decisions for the community were & are predominantly Women!  "The Wise Ones"

Back to Helen --- I also cringe every time she's on air and she sheepishly grins as Jamie points out her age and dating status.

How rude to use Helen's personal status to sell a few more products!  All I see on Helen's sweet face is a thick layer of gunk which in HD emphasizes her lines & crow's feet. I don't watch Jamie's presentations anymore -- she herself annoys the bejeezez out of me!!  I don't care for her own appearance, voice or products.

To Campion: I love your George Carlin-like list of "words you can't say"!  

Super Contributor

Ok I have to admit, I have only watched the video clips on the product pages (I don't have cable) but there is something about her I just don't care for. I only watch the info in the clips I need to find out about the product and stop the video. I thought it was just me.

I am new to it Cosmetics but I like the ones I have tried (brushes, Bye Bye redness, Bye Bye makeup remover balm and the foundation) so up until a couple of months ago I never heard of her.

Respected Contributor

i see no reason why if this bothers helen and we don't know if it does or not, she would say to jamie off camera of course, to knock it off.

i'll just bet helen is not feeling that jamie is being condescending towards her and she probably is very fond of jamie.

just my take.  i could be totally off base.

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

I do agree with the OP. As a matter of fact, I was thinking the same thing yesterday when the vendor came to Helen and said something like "She's just so adorable."

Helen is not a child. She's an older woman who does not need such condescension, even though I know it's not intended as such. But all of us have seen that kind of attitude toward older people in which they are talked down to as if they are childlike or even feeble.

Calling someone a "senior" is the same thing and is demeaning.  I always say I have graduated, I am just old.

You'd rather someone just call you old instead of senior?

YES!  ABSOLUTELY!  Saying a "senior" just is avoiding the fact that I am old and I guess that's supposed to make me feel better like I'm too senile toknow I'm O L D?  I'm OLD.  It's ok!  I am very happy to be old.  I am not ashamed of it nor does it makes lesser of a person certainly  not to ME.  If it does to someone else, it's their issue and not mine! 

Honored Contributor

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

You'd rather someone just call you old instead of senior?

I call myself an old fart. Senior...old fart....no difference. Give me the discount!