Honored Contributor

IT Cosmetics at Ulta and other comments

Wow --- I was at Ulta yesterday and couldn't believe how many IT products they had!  They seem to have more space than just about any other vendor.  I didn't even realize that there were that many IT products.  I'm thinking --- how does anyone even keep all these products straight --- and how do you even choose any more what you might want or need?  Goodness --- this is becoming, or is, a huge company!!!!  

On another note, I asked a girl there if she had a fragrance-free makeup brush cleanser and she walks me over to a display that had several of these cleansers.  She takes one off the rack and says --- I think you should use this one, it's the one I use.  I said, well does it have fragrance?  She says - I don't think so.  She opens the package and sniffs it and hands it to me and it does have some type of scent.  I said, well, can you check the ingredients to see if it lists "fragrance".  I did not have my glasses handy. She looked at me like I was crazy and said ---- uh, well, I guess I can look at it.  Then, she says it says fragance, but it's hardly any I don't think.  I'm thinking ---- first of all --- if someone asks you if something has fragrance, wouldn't the best thing be to first look at the ingredients?  Seems simple, right?  Then, I just said, well, o.k., let me look some more and she just walks off.  Like I was bothering her!  I ended up not getting any because they all had fragrance in them.  

Any ways, I have been in that store several times and the service has been pretty sketchy!!  I guess maybe they look at me and think --- another old lady!!!  Who wants to deal with her??? 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Re: IT Cosmetics at Ulta and other comments

Angel puppy,,,, I have had the same experience at Ulta.  They look at you like nothing will help you lady, you are old.  I was in there smelling a fragrance and started talking to another lady who want some help in It cosmetics and could not get it.  I told her I have worn a lot of their products and maybe I could help her.  We went over to the county and I helped her decide on colors and the foundation she needed.  Then when I go to Sephora they seem to have a better group of employees but they bug you to death.  I must have to say "I am just looking to see what you have".....a dozen times before I get out of there. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

I wrote about Ulta yesterday,  it's not my favorite place but I go there to check out the IT products, b/c Q has the deals but the stores are a mess at least on the drugstore side.  poorly stocked, etc

Sephora is a better place to shop,  it's Bloomingdales or Sephora as I get points from both 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Didn't I recently read about 2 lawsuits against Ulta for selling used makeup?

Ewwwww!

ETA: https://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/Ulta-Selling-Returned-Products/m-p/4358177#M617335

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

That is scary, especially with the serious illnesses out there!!!!  I don't think I would shop there now.  Yikes.  Better to purchase these items in a sealed package.  

Honored Contributor

@chicletwrote:

Angel puppy,,,, I have had the same experience at Ulta.  They look at you like nothing will help you lady, you are old.  I was in there smelling a fragrance and started talking to another lady who want some help in It cosmetics and could not get it.  I told her I have worn a lot of their products and maybe I could help her.  We went over to the county and I helped her decide on colors and the foundation she needed.  Then when I go to Sephora they seem to have a better group of employees but they bug you to death.  I must have to say "I am just looking to see what you have".....a dozen times before I get out of there. 

@chiclet

As far as waiting on older ladies vs. younger women, I do think it’s true. I watched teens and twenties walk in, go to the products they wanted, head for checkout & leave.

I’m assuming the younger woman is more influenced by social media and see products or discuss shadow palettes w/ friends & arrive at the store not just to look around or ask questions like we do.

The SA get annoyed, even though it’s their job, to help a customer.

Honored Contributor

Macy's carries IT cosmetics now too.  I am not  fan of Ulta at all.

Honored Contributor

I once went into an Ulta on the East Coast to repurchase a product I'd bought at another of their stores.  I had a very unpleasant experience with an SA who told me they didn't sell that item in their stores.  She then took me over to a different product (that I didn't want) and read the info on the label to me!  As if I'm illiterate and can't do that for myself! 

My Ulta, in my area of CA, is one of the better ones.  The employees are friendly, not pushy, and are knowledgeable about the products 

Honored Contributor

You would think reading a label would be the first thing to do before testing it for fragrance. 

Some saleshelp at Ulta do not know everything about the product they are standing next to. 

The Lancôme salesperson is very nice at the Ulta I visit but had no idea the crayon eyeshadow/liner can be sharpened by removing the bottom of the crayon where there is a sharpener. I told her how nice the Drama Liqui pencils are in terms of being similar to the Urban Decay 24/7 Eye pencils but the more recent colors have problems with their points breaking off unlike the older colors of this relatively new eye pencil line.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@chicletwrote:

@chiclet

Makes you feel like --- what?  Am I chopped liver?  LOL!  That was nice that you were able to help a fellow shopper.  I don't have a Sephora near me or I would try them!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin