Frequent Contributor

I was doing some cleaning this morning and going through my makeup brushes when I noticed that several of my IT brushes that I haven't used in a while have very sticky handles. Has this ever happened to anyone else and if so what can I do to make the stickiness go away or should I just throw them away? TIA

Honored Contributor

If the brushes are still good, your could wrap the handles in grip tape or maybe bandage tape. 

Frequent Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch  the brushes are still new and haven't been used.

Honored Contributor

@mjabby   Sometimes many new brushes come in a shrink wrapped type covering. If left on by you or in another environment too long before shipping (maybe in heat), they can retain some stickiness. 

I'd use something like duct tape and wrap the handles.

Respected Contributor

Re: IT Cosmetic Brushes

[ Edited ]

Have you tried removing the stickiness with alcohol? Maybe it will cut through it. Grip tape like for tennis rackets might work if all else fails.

Honored Contributor

You might also try a silicone coating dip on the handles.  You can find t on Amazon or probably a big box hardware store. 

Respected Contributor

@On It wrote:

Have you tried removing the stickiness with alcohol? Maybe it will cut through it. Grip tape like for tennis rackets might work if all else fails.

Yes, I think I would also try using the alcohol but get the one with the higher strength concentration that's like in the 90's instead of the 70's. I believe that's what my husband uses for sticky type situations. It's cheap and worth a try. 

Super Contributor

@mjabby   My DH swears by a product called Goo Be Gone.  At Fred Meyer, Walmart,  Target, Safeway, etc.

Honored Contributor

@pdxlalesley wrote:

@mjabby   My DH swears by a product called Goo Be Gone.  At Fred Meyer, Walmart,  Target, Safeway, etc.

@pdxlalesley 

LOVE this product!  Took off all of the giant stickers off of our new fridge-no scratches!!!!!

Respected Contributor

I use something called Goof Off on a paper towel, works like magic.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield