Contributor

IS THE RETINOL IN THE HYDROSHIELD SERUM SUFFICIENT OR ...

do you still have to use a separate retinol product?  Retinol is the third ingredient in the Hydroshield Serum, so that's why I'm asking.   If I can skip using a separate retinol product, I would rather do that but I want to make sure I'm still getting enough retinol.  Thank you very much.

WOMEN ARE NOT MEN'S PROPERTY!
Respected Contributor

Re: IS THE RETINOL IN THE HYDROSHIELD SERUM SUFFICIENT OR ...

I asked that question when she had the TSV about a week ago. QVC deleted that question. I still use my regular Retin A.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Mystical wrote:

do you still have to use a separate retinol product?  Retinol is the third ingredient in the Hydroshield Serum, so that's why I'm asking.   If I can skip using a separate retinol product, I would rather do that but I want to make sure I'm still getting enough retinol.  Thank you very much.

@Mystical

IMO,  Probably not enough in the Hydroshield, but try it and see how it works for you.    

Valued Contributor

@Coquille wrote:

I asked that question when she had the TSV about a week ago. QVC deleted that question. I still use my regular Retin A.

If they deleted it, the answer must be no. Otherwise it would be an opportunity to say yes it's all you need. I was curious myself, if it was stronger or weaker in comparison to Paula's Choice Recovery serum, but didn't ask (not the full Paula's Choice name but it has a longer title, but in the dark red tube)

Valued Contributor

I don't know the strength of retinol this has but I use Retin A along with the Hydroshield. I apply Retin A first then about a half hour or so later I apply the Hydroshield then moisturizer. I have no irritation but I've been using Retin A for about 20 years now so I'm used to it. Maybe try emailing or calling Dr Denese.com. I hear their customer service is great.

Respected Contributor

@Mystical

Since we are told to use the serum night and morning, I would think the amount of retinol would be minimal.

When using retinol or the generic tretinoin, you are supposed to only use it at night so the skin doesn't get damaged from immediate sunlight....if memory serves correctly.

If you are getting great results with your routine, I would continue it.  Good Luck !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

@Coquille I'm fairly new to these boards and was surprised by your comment, why did they delete your question? 

@Coquille wrote:

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

To add to what Jlkz wrote:

Since you are using the Hydroshield both a.m. & p.m., that in itself may be enough retinol. There is nothing to say that you cannot use retinol during the day. Albeit, I, too think the percentage of the retinol in this particular product is on the low end. But sometimes low end (in more ways than one!) is effective, too.

Another thought: If you are younger, then your skin is going to naturally slough off every 28 days, and a higher percentage of sloughing-type ingredients (like retinol) may not be needed at all - (in spite of what all the vendors would have you believe.)

Super Contributor

You definitely need another retinal or retin A product. There is definitly not enough so you need another retinol product that is much stronger. Do not just rely on this. I would use this with the Paulas choice retinol 1% or the serum. But start off once a week as this is strong but very effective products. 

Respected Contributor

IMO, if the retinol in the Hydroshield serum was meaningful, they'd hype it, and I don't think they do. I'm using the Denese TSV and will continue to use the retinols that I was using before I got it (PC and PTR), and will explore others when those run out next year.

Dr. Denese always tells people to use SPF for sun exposure, regardless.