Honored Contributor

IS SKINCARE IN FOUNDATION ENOUGH?

I’m finding it more difficult to find a foundation w/o the promise of moisturizers, primers, peptides, antioxidants, SPF, serums, Vit. C.......

I doubt that the percentage of these added ingredients equal the strength of the skincare I apply myself before foundation. 

Just to be sure, I’m following my usual protocol before foundation....especially SPF on face, neck & chest since I don’t wear makeup there.

Occasional Contributor

Re: IS SKINCARE IN FOUNDATION ENOUGH?

I have wondered the same thing  re: SPF.  My dermatologist told me to always apply sunscreen under foundation.  However, now I just read the labels for the % of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide and compare.  The IT anti aging Armour foundation that I use (and love!) with SPF 50, is definitely comparable to the sunscreen from the dermatologist.  IT is, first and foremost, a skincare company so I trust their products.  For other lines, I would add the extra step.  It will be worth it in the long run.

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I have wondered the same thing  re: SPF.  My dermatologist told me to always apply sunscreen under foundation.  However, now I just read the labels for the % of titanium dioxide and zinc oxide and compare.  The IT anti aging Armour foundation that I use (and love!) with SPF 50, is definitely comparable to the sunscreen from the dermatologist.  IT is, first and foremost, a skincare company so I trust their products.  For other lines, I would add the extra step.  It will be worth it in the long run.

@luvlyfI always apply my own spf 50 even though it’s listed in the foundation. I don’t wear makeup on neck & chest (always wear SPF there) & also can’t be sure my application covers everywhere evenly on my face.

Honored Contributor

I always use SPF and other skin care before applying my foundation. You would need to slather on a great quantity of foundation to get the benefits of any “extra” ingredients. Personally, I don’t want to apply tons of heavy foundation just to get the so called state of the art ingredients. Even if I did I am not sure that can compare to using similar ingredients in a good skin care product. 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

I always use SPF and other skin care before applying my foundation. You would need to slather on a great quantity of foundation to get the benefits of any “extra” ingredients. Personally, I don’t want to apply tons of heavy foundation just to get the so called state of the art ingredients. Even if I did I am not sure that can compare to using similar ingredients in a good skin care product. 

@wilma  I’d rather they leave out the skincare “extras” just to be sure there’s no interaction with mine and the foundation’s ingredients.

Honored Contributor

If you wear primer under your foundadtion, wouldn't that block any skin care properties of the foundation except SPF?

Honored Contributor

wrote:

If you wear primer under your foundadtion, wouldn't that block any skin care properties of the foundation except SPF?

@Icegoddess. It depends on the thickness and/or formulation of the primer, but keep in mind, you’re then besides your own skincare and the foundation, you’re adding another layer....Too much for me.

Honored Contributor

I don't specifically look for skincare in my foundation as I don't wear foundation on a daily basis, so wouldn't expect to reap any benefits from it anyways.  For me, it's all about the appropriate coverage/finish/settling into lines/etc.  I prefer one with an SPF, but only if I'm going to be outside.  

I prefer to wear a primer, but I just got a foundation that dries so quickly I decided instead to mix it with my moisturizer to give me the time to apply it, so I guess I'll have to skip the primer for that one.  I really like the almost like skin finish and the fact that it's not tacky, so I don't need a finishing powder aspect of it though.  No SPF though, so unless I want to apply moisturizer twice it's not for outdoor use.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus, I never thought of this before. I get what you are saying. Many companies claim that if you are going to wear foundation, it might as well have skincare benefits in it. However, if you are already using other lotions and potions with those benefits, then maybe there could be an interaction. Hmm you got me thinking kiddo. It's actually hard to find a foundation that doesn't have brighteners, tighteners, yada yada yada.