Trusted Contributor

INFO. ON RETINOL/RETIN A PRODUCTS

Hello ladies!  I just asked this question as part of another thread,  but decided I should ask again on a new one.

I read one of the replies which said only eye cream, moisturizer, Vit. C Serum and Retin A are necessary.

My question?  When using a Retin A/Retinol, is that a separate product from moisturizer?  In what order should the Retinol, Vit. C Serum and Moisturizer applied AND is this a regime to be used in the a.m. AND p.m.?

As you can see, I've never used anything except cleanser, moisturizer and eye cream and have never bothered to seek out any information.

(what in the world just happened to my font size?)

THANK YOU if you hung in and read the micro-print!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

Respected Contributor

Re: INFO. ON RETINOL/RETIN A PRODUCTS

Here is a video from Angie of Hot&Flashy.  She will answer all your questions!  I use everything she recommends in this video except for the brand of sunscreen she shows.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6E0_GyWsnWE

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quinny wrote:

Hello ladies!  I just asked this question as part of another thread,  but decided I should ask again on a new one.

I read one of the replies which said only eye cream, moisturizer, Vit. C Serum and Retin A are necessary.

My question?  When using a Retin A/Retinol, is that a separate product from moisturizer?  In what order should the Retinol, Vit. C Serum and Moisturizer applied AND is this a regime to be used in the a.m. AND p.m.?

As you can see, I've never used anything except cleanser, moisturizer and eye cream and have never bothered to seek out any information.

(what in the world just happened to my font size?)

THANK YOU if you hung in and read the micro-print!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!

@Quinny - First of all, understand that though RetinA and Retinol are related (retinoids), they are two significantly different products.  RetinA is a prescription treatment, retinol is not.  RetinA is retinoic acid that needs no conversion steps to be absorbed and use by the skin.  Retinol needs to go through conversion steps to become retinoic acid.  Since retinol is alreaday weaker to begin with, and weakens through the conversion, many retinol products aren't very effective.  Retinol is more gentle, however, so if opting for that form it's important to get one that has the highest concentration possible and is encapsulatated.

When using RetinA, it can come in a cream or gel form.  It needs to be eased into because it can be harsh and the skin needs to get used to it.  A separate moisturizer should be used.

Retinol can be found in both treatment products and some moisturizers.  But again, for the retinol to be effective in the mixture, but I doubt many moisturizers have an effective form or amount.  If you decide to go with retinol, I would opt for an separated retinol treatment and separate moisturizer.  

As for your routine - RetinA or Retinol should be used at night due to the fact that it makes your skin sensitive to the sun.  The right Vitamin C serum can offer "some" sun protection but don't rely on it alone.  You need an SPF during the day.  Therefore, use the retinoid at night and the Vitamin C serum during the day.  An eye treatment product and moisturizer should be used both AM and PM. Depending on your needs and the moisturizer you choose, oftentimes it can double as an eye moisturizer too. One that's too thick can pull the skin under they eye down.  I do use a separate product myself, but it's a lighter consistency and has ingredients that I like.  

Honored Contributor

I use tretinoin (Retin-A) and not retinol at night alone as indicated without anything else. Vitamin C serum is applied first thing in the morning after cleansing. Then moisturizer if needed. Eye creams are not necessary for me. Sunscreen is applied lastly before makeup.

Respected Contributor

@Quinny

As two heavy-hitting skincare gurus on this board @JeanLouiseFinch and @SilleeMee have mentioned, sunscreen (which was omitted from your list) is another very important step in your morning regimen. If you're not going to commit to wearing an SPF of at least 30 DAILY there's no point in doing any of the rest of the routine since sun exposure will continue to cause damage as you're trying to reverse it with the other products. 

Honored Contributor

I am definitely staying away from Retinol.  I used a product by Roth that I had a bad reaction to so I could imagine what Retinol would do to my skin.  I have somewhat sensitive skin.  I have been using a Vitamin C serum but I am not sure it is making any big impact.  I think my Pop Sonic Leaflet is making my skin glow though.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

I recently switched to curology, they customize a blend for you and use tretinoin, which is what retin-a is. My current mix includes 2.5% tretinoin, 5% niacinamide and 5% azelaic acid. They mix a blend customized for you, the actives for anti aging are tretinoin, azelaic acid, niacinamide and MAP. It's working well for me. You have to send pics of yourself and complete a questionnaire and then a derm or physicians assistant contacts you via text or email and comes up with the mix of actives. You check in periodically and they can adjust the mix based on your goals and how your skin is handling the mix. They ship a new bottle each month, its $25 a month. This has saved me a lot of money, I've gotten rid of rx FinaceA and retin a and streamlined my PM routine.
Trusted Contributor

Thank you JeanLouiseFrench.  I gained a wealth of information about the products, their differences and important thing to consider.  I'm going to keep your post at the ready.

I read your reply several times through and forgive me if I missed it or did not comprehend,

What is the order in which the day and night products should be applied?

Many thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Quinny wrote:

Thank you JeanLouiseFrench.  I gained a wealth of information about the products, their differences and important thing to consider.  I'm going to keep your post at the ready.

I read your reply several times through and forgive me if I missed it or did not comprehend,

What is the order in which the day and night products should be applied?

Many thanks!

Are you adding any other serums?  Based on the information you provided, 

AM - 
Cleanse
Vitamin C Serum
AM Moisturizer
Moisturizer or Eye cream in orbital area
SPF (unless your moisturizer, BB/CC cream, or foundation has a good one included)

PM - 
Cleanse
RetinA or Retinol
PM Moisturizer

Moisturizer or Eye Cream in orbital area

Trusted Contributor

JEANLOUISEFINCH  Thank you so very much for your helpful information!  I feel I now have some direction as to what I need and when to use it.

Now to the task of determing which brands of which products will work best for me.

You asked if I was using any additional serums?  No, I've never used any serums at all.  I will now begin using the Vit. C serum.  Is there another you think would be useful?

Many thanks.