Honored Contributor

Re: IF YOU COULD HAVE A MAKEOVER.....

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I can do makeup in about 5 minutes easily and be happy with my look.  

If it were for a more formal event, I'd take more time, but use same products, just more *concentrated*.  (Can't think of a better word!)

Since my hair is in a long shag now, it is literally wash and go.  But I haven't had the need to *style* it for a formal occassion since it's been cut.  Maybe that I could use help with?

What would you do differently @Shanus ?

@Lucky Charm   Sounds like you have makeup routine down. So, assume you're asking about hair ideas for your shag cut. Shorter hair/layers are more difficult to "dress up". When my hair was shorter and layered, I used products....Dry shampoo gives more volume (even if hair is clean) and texture. Also, you could use a wax type product to lift and separate layers. Don't overdo it with hair when more dressed up. I always prefer to "dress up" the face with highlighter, brighter lip, etc. that may not be a part of your everyday face. You shouldn't do both...May look over the top.

Valued Contributor

I would LOVE to have a nice relaxing facial. However, I have rosacea so I have bumps all over my forehead. I don't want to be lectured about my bad my skin is and be pressured to buy a bunch of products I'll never use. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus Eyebrows!  I have gone from a light wheat colored blond to a platinum blond. Woman Wink It is gray.  It grew out this year, but it is a weird color.  And I don't look as different as I would have thought.  

People comment on it, and they say I don't look that different, and it is not white, not salt and pepper, not really gray but more platinum blond.  It isn't that different from my "before" look, but is a different look for sure. 

So my old eyebrow pencils (blond and taupe--favorite of all time Chantecaille, also a Laura Mercier one) are ok, but do I need to go more gray, or a warmer gray?  I have NO idea.  Any suggestions?  I'll bet I'm not the only one wondering that now!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I just can't apply eye liner, also I wear contacts , so it's kind of hard to practice. I think it's hopeless. 

@QVCkitty1   I'm "blind" without my glasses. I have a small round highly magnified mirror that sticks onto my makeup mirror (suction cup on back). So you don't irritate your eyes wearing contacts, I'd use a gel liner...no fallout like from a softer pencil or using shadow.

If not steady going on lid with a very fine line, use a thin tip liner brush and dot between lashes with the gel. It defines the eye without taking up any lid space which gets limited as we age. It saves the lid area for a bit of shadow that will show when eyes are opened. BTW, do any crease shades with eyes opened to be sure you go slightly above crease or you won't see it. Doing it with eyes closed is deceptive as far as placement. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I can do makeup in about 5 minutes easily and be happy with my look.  

If it were for a more formal event, I'd take more time, but use same products, just more *concentrated*.  (Can't think of a better word!)

Since my hair is in a long shag now, it is literally wash and go.  But I haven't had the need to *style* it for a formal occassion since it's been cut.  Maybe that I could use help with?

What would you do differently @Shanus ?

@Lucky Charm   Sounds like you have makeup routine down. So, assume you're asking about hair ideas for your shag cut. Shorter hair/layers are more difficult to "dress up". When my hair was shorter and layered, I used products....Dry shampoo gives more volume (even if hair is clean) and texture. Also, you could use a wax type product to lift and separate layers. Don't overdo it with hair when more dressed up. I always prefer to "dress up" the face with highlighter, brighter lip, etc. that may not be a part of your everyday face. You shouldn't do both...May look over the top.

I'm loving the shorter layers, I always had my one layer kept long. 

When I went in and told my stylist I wanted a *shag*, I thought she'd have no idea what I meant and I'd have to explain it to her.  I even had pics on my phone of exactly what I wanted.  She said that it's actually a popular style again.  I've only seen it on one other person and it was another younger stylist at the salon.

BUT...I was asking what you would change if you had a makeover.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

After being DIY for so long, I would pick some time with a trainer.  Just know I have been missing parts.

@Still Raining   Exercise trainer? Same here....been using exercise vdeos. They hit ALL parts and/or you can find ones targeting certain trouble areas.

Honored Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I would LOVE to have a nice relaxing facial. However, I have rosacea so I have bumps all over my forehead. I don't want to be lectured about my bad my skin is and be pressured to buy a bunch of products I'll never use. 

@CritterKeeper   I understand. I've had facials like that. I don't stock or sell products. If I make a recommendation, it's a take it or leave it for the client. I may suggest a particular brand of product I like or just a general suggestion of the type of product needed and you'll hunt for the line you like yourself.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

My eyes have that "sunken" look.  I would like someone to show me how to bring the under eye area forward.

Me too!  My eyes also have a "sunken" look which is a nice way of saying that I have a bit of baggage going on.  I also have some furrows under my eyes and short of surgery I just don't know what to do. 

I have tried all kinds of concealer and even watched lots of YouTube videos of others who have the problem.  What seems to work for them just doesn't for me.  It's frustrating!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Shanus Eyebrows!  I have gone from a light wheat colored blond to a platinum blond. Woman Wink It is gray.  It grew out this year, but it is a weird color.  And I don't look as different as I would have thought.  

People comment on it, and they say I don't look that different, and it is not white, not salt and pepper, not really gray but more platinum blond.  It isn't that different from my "before" look, but is a different look for sure. 

So my old eyebrow pencils (blond and taupe--favorite of all time Chantecaille, also a Laura Mercier one) are ok, but do I need to go more gray, or a warmer gray?  I have NO idea.  Any suggestions?  I'll bet I'm not the only one wondering that now!  Woman Very Happy

@ Yes, I'm in the same boat...went from dark brunette to grey/silver that I colored for over 40 years until I said, "That's it" and stopped the dye. Brows...with ANY grey tones to your hair, even if platinum blonde, you need to go with a COOL tone brow color....most likely cool taupe if your brows are light.

I dye my brows (even though still medium/dark brown) with "JUST FOR MEN" in blonde...yes blonde. It's darker than you'd think....a cool taupe shade. Don't freak out if you do it. After application, while waiting the 3-5 minutes, it  appears dark brown, but when you wipe it off w/ wet cotton pad, the color is taupe, it catches all the grey brow hairs and colors/thickens  brow hairs you didn'teven know you had. I can use less brow products to fill in.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm  Ah, misunderstood.

I think, if anything, I'd work on not looking so fair since my hair went a silvery shade. My hair and face are now similar in tone, so I have to define my features, use bronzer (never used it when hair was dark). I need more makeup than I wore before to look "good". I can't go back to coloring my hair every 3 weeks. I've been almost all grey since my 20's and the dye was killing my hair, not to mention the white stripe after 2 weeks, but waited the extra week using mascars, etc. to cover the roots. 

God gave me strange coloring to begin with...dark hair, fair skin and green eyes...It's always been difficult to balance my makeup shades.