Honored Contributor

Re: I wonder if there is a more up to date hairstyle for ladies over 60.

@qualitygal, I would just look for hairstyles/cuts and forget the age.  If you want a cut and style for short hair, google that.  For medium length, google that.

I hate to see you limit yourself to a certain cut or style because of your age.  Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

I have stick straight hair. Actually most sticks have more wave to them than I have in my hair. So, of course, most of the time it is just flat. Voluminizing products make it dry & fly away. I am fat with a round face so a cute pixie is not the look for me. My stylist asked if she could give me a perm with bigger rods, so that it would be a nice soft curl. I was so excited. I was at the salon for 4 hours. She colored my silver roots & then did the perm, so it took a long time.I babied my hair. Didn't wash it for 48 hours & used gentle shampoos. Those soft curls fell out of my hair so fast I could see it happen. It's been 3 weeks & I basically have straight hair, again. I haven't even had a chance to stop in & talk to my stylist. She won't be surprised. I am her problem child.

Honored Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

I have stick straight hair. Actually most sticks have more wave to them than I have in my hair. So, of course, most of the time it is just flat. Voluminizing products make it dry & fly away. I am fat with a round face so a cute pixie is not the look for me. My stylist asked if she could give me a perm with bigger rods, so that it would be a nice soft curl. I was so excited. I was at the salon for 4 hours. She colored my silver roots & then did the perm, so it took a long time.I babied my hair. Didn't wash it for 48 hours & used gentle shampoos. Those soft curls fell out of my hair so fast I could see it happen. It's been 3 weeks & I basically have straight hair, again. I haven't even had a chance to stop in & talk to my stylist. She won't be surprised. I am her problem child.

@Dusty1

One of my friends (age 64) has "stick straight" hair like you.   Currently, she has it cut w/o layers - chin length bob - a bit shorter in the back. 

She's letting her hair gray naturally ... the hairdo is always sleek and shiny ... Looks great.

Google "chin length bob" images ... lots of variations.  One might work for you.

(I have wavy hair and there are times I wish it were stick straight!)

Trusted Contributor

@Dusty1 wrote:

@Dusty1  I was going to mention maybe using bigger rods would be better than the skinny ones to get a  more relaxed look.  Sounds like your experience  with the bigger rods left your hair too relaxed.  Sorry to hear your hair turned straight already...how frustrating.

You are your stylists' problem child made me lol.  Smiley Happy

I too have pin straight hair.  I use bleach, and have a short layered pixie.

The bleach and layers add volume.  Without those, I am helmet head........

Respected Contributor

I have worn my  hair like this for thirty years, I will be 62 in May..., it always looks nice...good luck with your hair :-)

Image result for jaclyn smith haircut

Esteemed Contributor

Image result for hairstyles for older Black women

here's a pixie cut

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

I have worn my  hair like this for thirty years, I will be 62 in May..., it always looks nice...good luck with your hair :-)

This particular photo looks like a wig.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

Image result for hairstyles for older Black women

here's a pixie cut

This is very cute.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@fourpaws56 wrote:

@fourpaws56, mine is very similar to this only I have long bangs and it's a tad longer with some subtle highlights.

Respected Contributor

@ALRATIBA I have had every variety of bob. They are popular because they work on so many face shapes & types of hair. I just get tired of the same look, of course. And, then you hear them referred to as "soccer mom hair", but they work. It is my best look. It's actually cut in a bob with my "temporary". Since it wasn't very "permanent". LOL