Trusted Contributor

Re: I went to a Dermatologist for a skin check she recommends--Cerave products.

I have only used Cerave for four months. I have already used Dr. Denese it is expensive and doesn't really do anything for me. I have also used Paula's Choice. I hate the way her products feel on my skin and I don't want to do six steps for skincare everynight and morning. I have also used many of the expensive dept. store brands too. It is all gimmicks.

I still use Dr. Denese hydrosheild and have for 12 years. I use it under my spf 50 and then I use IT Cosmetics CC Cream with 50 spf. At night I do use retinol, but I have extremely sensitive skin and I can't use high percentages of Retin-A. I tried it once and had serious burns on my face. Not everyone can tolerate clinical percentages of Retin-A. 

I have very few brown spots actually and two small ones that are rough. The Dr. said that that was perfectly normal for my age. I haven't had any sun such as sunbathing in over 15 years so I am definitely taking care of my skin, but when we were kids, my mother would not even think to put sunscreen on us. I had a lot of serious sun burns as a child and my skin remembers. You can only do what you can now. 

I am glad that I went. I have no cancerous moles of any kind so I am relieved and the Dr. said my skin is in very good condition for my age. She said I have no real wrinkles and that is good. 

Lastly, everyone should go once in a while to make sure that their skin is in good health.

PS--If the other derm office comes back with a price of over $200 and require more than one visit to remove the few spider veins on my face I will not do it. I'll just live with it and continiue to cover it up with concealer.

Trusted Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

That's interesting considering my dermatologist is a graying, middle age man, who's CV includes Harvard summa in biology, Duke Medical School and Stanford internship. His specialty is skin cancer which is precisely why I was reffered to him.

Yes, he offers Botox, which I happily use, but he offerred only after patients were asking and asking for it.

The personality type hypothesis you refer to is ridiculous.

My derm is also middle aged man who I have been going to for years.  His practice offers all the bells and whistles but he's a no nonsense doc.  I've had several BBL treatments for broken caps and redness and I recommend it.  Yes, the caps will come back over time but I think the treatment is well worth it.

Honored Contributor

This thread is full of references to middle-aged male derms. :-)

Mine is a almost middle-aged woman. She doesn't do any cosmetic stuff, only deals with medical issues. But that's likely because it's Kaiser, which has its own cosmetic dept at extra cost. I like that separation.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Yes, everyone should visit a dermatologist at least once to establish a baseline and then visit accordingly per the advice of your doctor. We definitely do what we can. Sunscreen is definitely a must before applying anything else on your face.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

My dermatologist and her partners do not sell any skin products.  They do not perform cosmetic procedures.  They are strictly medical doctors dealing with medical issues. 

Esteemed Contributor

This comment is not intended for OPs initial post...

But I would not want a dermatologist who is male who shaves every day (age may or may not play a part) or a young lady derm who has no personal experience with changing mid 50s skin advising me of what my skin needs. (Needless to mention that I am post meni, and did experience skin changes, and thankfully, found satisfactory resolutions.)

If I had a medical issue, then age or gender does not apply. Luckily, I've never had to go to a derm for anything, and I am just hoping to keep it that way.

@Squirrel Lover

I hope the treatments are not too expensive, and that you do get the results you want!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

Although my dermatologist is not young (about 50), she does wear the white coat. There's a practice of 15 docs. A separate medi spa handles all of the products and trained staff assist in selections. I asked the derm why it's done that way and she said the "practice" didn't want to seem like they were "pushing" one product over another. 

Respected Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

This comment is not intended for OPs initial post...

But I would not want a dermatologist who is male who shaves every day (age may or may not play a part) or a young lady derm who has no personal experience with changing mid 50s skin advising me of what my skin needs. (Needless to mention that I am post meni, and did experience skin changes, and thankfully, found satisfactory resolutions.)

If I had a medical issue, then age or gender does not apply. Luckily, I've never had to go to a derm for anything, and I am just hoping to keep it that way.

@Squirrel Lover

I hope the treatments are not too expensive, and that you do get the results you want!

@Harpa Are you saying you want a derm who can personally relate to aging, female skin, but don't require other medical professionals to be able to personally relate to your age and gender? Because I don't see the difference.

Respected Contributor

I still believe in Retin-A and a Vitamin C serum.  Those have been medically proven to increase collagen production and treat/prevent wrinkles.

I would think those would treat rough skin and brown spots also.  A good exfoliation should help with roughness.

I need a moisturizer using Retin-A.  I have no intention of stopping Retin-A or a vitamin C serum.  And using sunscreen when out.

I have great skin, haven't been in the sun since I was about 21 and have been blessed genetically for skin.

I would consider those 2 products before spending a lot on laser treatments.  Not that I have anything against them!

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

My HMO offers skin checks yearly by a dermatologist they employ at their skin clinic. I think they are mostly looking for signs of skin cancer, but they will advise you as to skin care and maintenance if you ask. The clinic does not sell products.