Trusted Contributor

I went to a Dermatologist for a skin check she recommends--Cerave products.

[ Edited ]

I have never been to a dermatalogist before. My daughter goes every year and encouraged me to go.

So I finally went and was surprised that they sell anti-aging products in their office. I told her that after spending hundreds, possibly, thousands of dollars over the years buying expensive brands that I had switched to Cerave four months ago after my daughter's dermatogist recommended them. 

The derm sold lots of expensive kinds too with retin-A and stuff too, of course.

Oh, at 51 she said my skin was good few moles no skin cancer, but brown spots and rough spots are developing from age. I told her that today was the only day that I did not wear makeup except for surgery days because I am embarrased about my blotchy skin. They took a picture of the blotches and said that I can get laser for the redness, which is from broken capallaries from age. I said I was interested. Now I have to wait to find out how much it will cost. It is not the fraxel laser.

Honored Contributor

Re: I went to a Dermatologist for a skin check she recommends--Cerave products.

@Squirrel Lover,   If I remember correctly it was $600 to $800 for one treatment.  Insurance will not cover it unless it was a medical condition.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Dermatologists have always sold products but now they are responding to a market.

A spa market.   People want a spa experience.

I've been hearing commericials on the radio about Camellia Women's Imaging, same day mammography results, spa-like setting, other tests as well.    If it makes women more likely to get their testing, I"m all for it, whether it's breast cancer or melanoma.

Honored Contributor

I think it's a good idea to get checked yearly --- a total body check --- at a derm's office.  

It was good when you went that you did not wear makeup.  When I went a couple times with makeup, mine handed me cleanser and said --- take it off!!!  

I think they pretty much all sell products that they either have developed themselves or just really like.

Mine loves CeraVe also!  He told me to just use that on my skin.  I am not crazy about the cream on my body as it feels so heavy.  In the summer I switched to the lotion.  

I would love to get my broken caps and brown spots blasted but it is so expensive.  I just try and cover as much as possible!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I tried to jump on the band wagon CeraVe products. Cream as you said heavy never felt after application absorbed in my skin. Night moisturizer small bottle 3oz with pump works well, However! Cetaphil lotion 20oz same price comes with a pump light weight hydration-Vit E fragrance free with Avocado oil. RetA prescribed by my Derm. When everything is said and done- Clarisonic Smart Profile changed texture and clarity. Can't say enough! Great things about Clarisonic. Qvc best price, Comes with three year warranty.
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

Dermatologists have always sold products but now they are responding to a market.

A spa market.   People want a spa experience.

I've been hearing commericials on the radio about Camellia Women's Imaging, same day mammography results, spa-like setting, other tests as well.    If it makes women more likely to get their testing, I"m all for it, whether it's breast cancer or melanoma.

They are responding to the spa market as that's where they make money--cash--no insurance....That's why they push fillers and botox.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried 2 CeraVe products: a sunscreen and an eye cream. All I can say is yuck! But if that's what they suggested....

@Kachina624

Very interesting observations!

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

That's interesting considering my dermatologist is a graying, middle age man, who's CV includes Harvard summa in biology, Duke Medical School and Stanford internship. His specialty is skin cancer which is precisely why I was reffered to him.

Yes, he offers Botox, which I happily use, but he offerred only after patients were asking and asking for it.

The personality type hypothesis you refer to is ridiculous.

Respected Contributor

My derm has a spa in another part of the building. They sell products and do treatments there. I have had pulse dye laser several times for the redness of rosacea. They 'bruise' out the area by zapping it with a laser  and it leaves a bruise that fades in the usual bruise fashion. It is $$ but worth it. You can try a few spots and see.