Respected Contributor

Re: I went to a Dermatologist for a skin check she recommends--Cerave products.

The only product my dermatologist has available to purchase in office is.............

SUNSCREEN!!!!!!! And it's Elta MD, not some overpriced junk. She always makes it a point to ask if I have one I use (of course the answer is "yes!!!!"), and that is that. Even if I said that I didn't, she still would just let me know they have it available and tell me what to look for in whichever one I choose to purchase. (And likely give me a kind but professional lecture on the need to wear it every single day). If my derm was pushing a bunch of product they sold in office, I'd likely find another Dr. 

Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003~ I agree 100%.  I don't care what any derm tells me, I will never give up my Retinol and Vitamin C!    I've actually seen benefits from these products and will never stop using them.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I still believe in Retin-A and a Vitamin C serum.  Those have been medically proven to increase collagen production and treat/prevent wrinkles.

I would think those would treat rough skin and brown spots also.  A good exfoliation should help with roughness.

I need a moisturizer using Retin-A.  I have no intention of stopping Retin-A or a vitamin C serum.  And using sunscreen when out.

I have great skin, haven't been in the sun since I was about 21 and have been blessed genetically for skin.

I would consider those 2 products before spending a lot on laser treatments.  Not that I have anything against them!

Hyacinth

It sounds like the brown spots OP mentioned would benefit from more aggressive temporary treatment.

But I'm in this camp w/ you (and @tototwo) as far as topical skin maintenance - after a certain age as skin begin to change. 

Honored Contributor

Dermatology today has gotten a bad name, a lot of people think all they do is hawk skin care.

They also treat skin cancer and other disfiguring diseases of the skin. 

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Regular Contributor

I really like the CeraVe PM lotion.  I get great results.  I don't like that it contains parabens.  Does that bother you or anyone else?

Occasional Contributor

fraxel lazer is the best wish i could afford it. all the derms say cerave or cetphil, but no give me retinol

Respected Contributor

Pay NO ATTENTION to the poster that says dermatologists are nothing but a personality type. WHAT!! HOW IGNORANT!! Allow me to share...after, an on going issue with my skin...I was referred to top Dermatologists in Mayo Clinic. My current dr. Is a senior, employed at mayo for over 19 years. He goes beyond, and out of the box for me. I thank God for him, as i do all the drs at Mayo. Oh, by the way, it all started from a very pretty, young female dermatologist, who was smart enough to seek out extensive bloodwork. I thank God for her...I have been a patient of mayo clinic since. Never disregard the slightest issue, whether skin, or other health. My symptoms turned out to be far more serious than what a skin rash appeared to be. I now am currently monitored at mayo by dermatologists, and oncologists....all because, thankfully, this pretty TYPE picked up on something. I'll have nothing do with this poster, as I've read other negative replies from her...such a shame.
Super Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

ITA  My derm who is dressed like you just described removed my cancer from my nose which I am sure she got However, this woman could not sew a straight line if her life depended on it.  My nose has heeled but looks like Route 66,   Definitly should have gone to a male.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@muttmom wrote:

My dermatologist and her partners do not sell any skin products.  They do not perform cosmetic procedures.  They are strictly medical doctors dealing with medical issues. 

That is so rare.  Are you sure they do not give Botox?  I seriously find that extremely and I mean extremely uncommon---especially if there is more than one clinician in the practice.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

@hyacinth003~ I agree 100%.  I don't care what any derm tells me, I will never give up my Retinol and Vitamin C!    I've actually seen benefits from these products and will never stop using them.

Most derms would not advocate you giving up retinol and/or Vitamin C.  These other OTC cosmetic products like Cetaphil are just add ons.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"