Honored Contributor

Re: I went to a Dermatologist for a skin check she recommends--Cerave products.

I've only been to a dermatologist once, to have sunspots burned off my forehead.  Cold stuff, the name of which I can't remember.  They eventually returned.  There were about 6 doctors in that office, some specialized in "serious" conditions, some were cosmetic dermatologists.  I live near a small town now, and the doctors overlap. 

Esteemed Contributor

I saw a derm last year about a rash on my back (of all things).  She was a cute little thing, 30-ish, beautiful skin and not a stitch of makeup.  Anyway, while I had her attention, I asked her what my over-60 face needs for anti-aging and health.  Even tho they had displays of expensive products in the waiting room, she told me the only things aging skin needs is sunscreen and a moisturizer.  If you can get both in one product, even better and drugstore is better than expensive brands.   I asked what about retinoids, peptides, vitamin c, ceremides, etc.  She said if I wanted to add something extra, that was up to me, but my skin doesn't need any of those things.  She added that if I wanted to use a retinol, that ROC skin care is the best you could buy -- much better than any of the expensive stuff (her words).  She specifically said she did not recommend any of the products they sold in the waiting room.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

I had to LOL at this!  My derm is middle aged and doesn't sell any skin care.  He is great at spotting potential problems and removing them.  He's also caught a very small spot that was positive for cancer and removed it.  He recommends neutrogena sun screen and whatever I like to keep my skin hydrated.  Very professional.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Dermatologists have always sold products but now they are responding to a market.

A spa market.   People want a spa experience.

I've been hearing commericials on the radio about Camellia Women's Imaging, same day mammography results, spa-like setting, other tests as well.    If it makes women more likely to get their testing, I"m all for it, whether it's breast cancer or melanoma.

I have a breast surgeon/radiologist, a very serious doctor that gives reports on the spot, same day. There is then a follow up letter with results. 

He is so busy it takes months to get an appointment, and hours of waiting while you're there.

He does a sonogram along with mammogram.

Honored Contributor

I have gone to two different kinds of derms. One is my wound-care derm who treats my scleroderma skinWoman Tongue and the other is a cosmetic dermHeart who has done these things for me:

- age spot removal

- broken cap removal

- laser skin tightening

- laser hair removal

So far these cosmetic things I chose to have done have made me happy and I never had anything go wrong, tg. Yes, it was an investment but for me it was worth every penny.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.

@Kachina624, not sure what kinds of dermatologists you've been to, but mine is a 50+ age woman who does NOT sell a single product in her practice and never has in the 18 years I've been seeing her for annual skin checks. She always answers any of my questions about skincare products' ingredients and has taught me how to identify the huge difference between real science and marketing hype. It is because of her medical guidance through the years that my skin is happy and healthy and my wallet is no longer empty from buying lotions and potions that do nothing they promise.  Great skin and I'm not spending a gazillion dollars on worthless products.  A win-win for me! 

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Dermatologists have always sold products but now they are responding to a market.

A spa market.   People want a spa experience.

I've been hearing commericials on the radio about Camellia Women's Imaging, same day mammography results, spa-like setting, other tests as well.    If it makes women more likely to get their testing, I"m all for it, whether it's breast cancer or melanoma.

I think this is becoming standard practice. Even my backwater imaging center asked me to wait after dressing so they could deliver the results. It's a great improvement in patient care and I hope they continue to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I have never been to a dermatalogist before.

They even sell the products in their office. I told her that after spending hundreds, possibly, thousands of dollars over the years buying expensive brands that I had switched to Cerave four months ago after her dermatogist recommended them. 

They sold lots of expensive kinds too with retin-A and stuff too, of course.

Oh, at 51 she said my skin was good few moles no skin cancer, but brown spots and rough spots are developing from age. I told her that today was the only day that I did not wear makeup except for surgery days because I am embarrased about my blotchy skin. They took a picture of the blotches and said that I can get laser for the redness, which is from broken capallaries from age. I said I was interested. Now I have to wait to find out how much it will cost. It is not the fraxel laser.

@Squirrel Lover

I don't understand this comment .... why do you have to "wait"?   Why couldn't someone tell you when you were there?    

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've decided "dermatologist" is not so much an occupation as it is a personality type, whether in a medical office or on TV.   Except for one man I saw years ago, they are all attractive youngish women wearing a white coat over a stylish ensemble.  Yes, they have a display of products for sale in the lobby.  The assistants are also very attractive young women. 

I interviewed people looking for jobs.  Dump truck drivers were also a personality type, not quite as pristine as dermatologists but along the same lines. 

I've never gone to anything but middle age to older men.  Never have had a woman derm.  

But YES there are personality types.  I agree about that!

Respected Contributor

@Squirrel Lover wrote:

I have never been to a dermatalogist before.

They even sell the products in their office. I told her that after spending hundreds, possibly, thousands of dollars over the years buying expensive brands that I had switched to Cerave four months ago after her dermatogist recommended them. 

They sold lots of expensive kinds too with retin-A and stuff too, of course.

Oh, at 51 she said my skin was good few moles no skin cancer, but brown spots and rough spots are developing from age. I told her that today was the only day that I did not wear makeup except for surgery days because I am embarrased about my blotchy skin. They took a picture of the blotches and said that I can get laser for the redness, which is from broken capallaries from age. I said I was interested. Now I have to wait to find out how much it will cost. It is not the fraxel laser.

Brown spots develop from sun exposure and age, in my experience. I got rid of my melasma with retinol and BHA and always wearing sunblock. I never had "rough spots," but if that's what you get on a CeraVe regimen--or what it doesn't fix--it suggests CereVe is not doing the job.

I find Denese and some Paula's Choice products turn the trick for me. But they must be used consistently, in a regimen over time, to realize the benefits. They can't fix broken capillaries, but there are good products that can cover them.