Esteemed Contributor

Re: I’ve started “Shopping My Stash”

Good luck and please keep us updated.  I did this years ago and got into the habit of not buying a new product until the old product is totally empty or I toss it.  Once you get into the habit, it's easy.... but there was some withdrawal at first.  Cold sweats.  Uncontrollable shaking.  Currently, all my skin care, makeup, and hair mousse fit into a plastic box about the size of a shoe box.  But I could fall off the wagon at any moment.  It's a slippery slope.

Now I need to work on all the other clutter in my life.  I could live in a tiny house.... as long as I rented a h-u-g-e storage unit to put everything.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

It sounds like a good idea for women who have tons of beauty products.  You'll get to use what you bought.  That has never been an issue for me.  I have never had a large collection of make up and skincare.  I suppose I'm a minimalist, I don't wear blush or eyeshadow or eyeliner.  I use my mascara, foundation and lip color until it's used up and then I buy more.  Everything fits in one makeup bag.  I like a bright lip and I always have two lipsticks/lip glosses.  Right now my lip colors are a pretty pink and deep rose.  In Novemer, I change to a winter lip color.  I think burgundy and red.  My spring/summer pinks will be just about used up, I'll toss them out.    

Honored Contributor

I have been gong thru the hundreds of samples I have in a drawer and getting rid of alot of them but using most of them up. Am taking all samples of face, hair and body stuff with me on vaca too. Easy to pack and will be used up in a day or so , since they are so small and then tossed. 

Honored Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

Good luck and please keep us updated.  I did this years ago and got into the habit of not buying a new product until the old product is totally empty or I toss it.  Once you get into the habit, it's easy.... but there was some withdrawal at first.  Cold sweats.  Uncontrollable shaking.  Currently, all my skin care, makeup, and hair mousse fit into a plastic box about the size of a shoe box.  But I could fall off the wagon at any moment.  It's a slippery slope.

Now I need to work on all the other clutter in my life.  I could live in a tiny house.... as long as I rented a h-u-g-e storage unit to put everything.

@tototwo

Funny comments!   Not sure why women buy makeup they don't even need ... but I guess that's another conversation for another day.   Seems like such a waste of money.   JMO   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wvumountiefan,   Yes, I have gone back into my stash and pulled out items and I also have tossed some "why did I buy this?" items too.  Right now I do not need any blush because I have several and lipsticks -- OMG!  that, unfortunately, for me is never ending.  I love different colors but I am not one for the truly dark shades.  I also have a small stash of Jo Malone perfume samples that I need to start using.    Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

@tototwo

Funny comments!   Not sure why women buy makeup they don't even need ... but I guess that's another conversation for another day.   Seems like such a waste of money.   JMO   

I think there is a stigma against women who "collect" cosmetics. It's really no different from those who have a shoe collection, jewelry collection, bunny rabbit collection, tea cup collection....I could go on and one.  Do I have more make-up than I can use? You betcha. But those new colors, formulas, packing, draw me in. And, of course, the ideal goal - finding that perfect product, the Holy Grail, is another motivator.

I go through spurts. I shop my stash for months and months, and then (usually a new season and a new collection) draw me in. I refuse to be made ashamed of and judged, though. It's my "thing" - just like collecting snowmen might be someone else's "thing". And I do try to save elsewhere. For example, I rarely purchase clothing, shoes, etc. that are not on sale and usually, even deeply discounted.

I used to feel bad about my collection. Over the years, due to YouTube and these boards to name a few, I realize that I am not alone ( revelation!).

Respected Contributor

@Sheilaray wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

@tototwo

I think there is a stigma against women who "collect" cosmetics. It's really no different from those who have a shoe collection, jewelry collection, bunny rabbit collection, tea cup collection....I could go on and one.  Do I have more make-up than I can use? You betcha. But those new colors, formulas, packing, draw me in. And, of course, the ideal goal - finding that perfect product, the Holy Grail, is another motivator.

I go through spurts. I shop my stash for months and months, and then (usually a new season and a new collection) draw me in. I refuse to be made ashamed of and judged, though. It's my "thing" - just like collecting snowmen might be someone else's "thing". And I do try to save elsewhere. For example, I rarely purchase clothing, shoes, etc. that are not on sale and usually, even deeply discounted.

I used to feel bad about my collection. Over the years, due to YouTube and these boards to name a few, I realize that I am not alone ( revelation!).

Yep, some women enjoy buying Dooney’s, Clark’s, Temptations, Susan Graver, Isaac Mizrahi, Coach, etc, but I enjoy buying all different brands of makeup. I honestly could care less how people spend their money as long as they can care less how I spend mine. 😎👍🏻🤷‍♀️ This is what is nice about these forums. I like coming to the Beauty forum and hearing what people think about a beauty product someone got. 

Respected Contributor

I'm shopping my stash and closets too!   I have so much stashed and more handbags and shoes than I have ever used. So wasteful, I'm not sure what I was thinking... I think over- spending was an emotional bandaid.   No more.  It feels so good to use what I own. No big credit card bills anymore. 🎉👏🏼🙌🏻

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

@tototwo

@Tinkrbl44  In your case, it's the same conversation every day.  It's just that one day it's about hairdryers, another day it's about a blanket, and today it's about makeup.  Seems like such a waste of time.  JMO

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Esteemed Contributor

I think my collection would seem pretty small to many people here.  I have some old shadows and liners I'm pulling out to see if I still want them.  If they aren't obviously bad, I put them on and see if they still apply well, and if I still like how they look on me.  Today I put on a couple of Avon shadows and they looked patchy and muddy, so I threw them away.  That's how I've been doing things.  Just going through old and throwing out what needs to go.

I've thrown away several shadows I accumulated when I was an Avon lady.  That left me with not very many eyeshadows to choose from, so I've allowed myself to buy some new ones.  I've loved makeup since I was a child, and eyeshadow is my weakness.

I'm not a spendy squirrel.  Most of my belongings are pretty shabby, TBH.  

But when my makeup looks good, it gives me a boost.  Some days I desperately need a boost.  I'm ill, but I don't want to look ill.  I want to look pretty.  When I put my makeup on, I feel a little bit more like my old self.  That's worth more to me than the money I supposedly "wasted" on makeup.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org