Trusted Contributor

Re: I've let myself go naturally gray!

I am happy to hear so many of you have let the gray hair appear naturally.  I stopped coloring it about 6 years ago.  The gray has come in very gradually and I'm happy with that.  It actually looks like I am having it colored that way.  It is very even all over and I'm in my early 60's.  

Having lost all my hair during chemo, I'll take it anyway I can get it and keep it.Woman Happy

It is freedom from the stylist's chair for sure.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I have no intention of deliberatly making myself look 20 years older, pale and washed out. Nope, not me, will never happen in my lifetime!

@ID2So now it is 20 years older??   Gosh It has  always been 10 years older! I must look 82 now instead of 62.....😅😂🤣

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I stopped coloring at 63 by cutting it very short (DH called me Butch).  Now I wear it last my shoulders, down.  I get so many compliments with my silver/white hair.

@patbz This is exactly what I did.  I cut off my long  colored  hair short short...I took my three months to grow out the Colored damage old hair and become a silver fox. Now going on 5 years growing it out silver it is past my shoulders and looks better than it ever did colored. I get compliments from strangers all the time as well.

Honored Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

Gray or silver hair can be beautiful-yes

but it is aging on any woman no matter how lovely she may be

Gray hair (forgetting the new temporay trend for some younger girls) has never or will ever be considered a youthful look-and thats not an insult

You can be gray and vibrant and spunky and feel youthful and be beautiful

Graying in most cases is a process that comes with the aging process

and makes ones overall apperance  look older no matter how pretty their face is

I will never get why people are in such denial over the simple fact that it makes women look older than they are -regardless of how attractive they may be

and before people start saying I'm not trying to look young -thats fine

and yes the wrong color can also age women -

its like anything else associated with old age -

That is your opinion and I am not in agreement.  For most people gray starts around age 30 if not before.  Many high school and college kids have had few gray hairs.

No one looks more youthful with aged skin and colored hair.  You aren't fooling anyone.  I know of no one who looks 20 years older or younger by coloring their hair or not.  There is more ways than just hair color to determine one's age. that's not denial, but reality.

I work with  kids who always ask my age.  I tell them the truth.  Often I hear, my grandmother is younger, but she looks older than you.  Sometimes I ask them if grandma has gray hair like me and most of the time, they say no.  Kids are honest and will tell you the truth.

And, there is NOTHING wrong with being older.  It's not a curse to be older or even look old.  It's a gift to be enjoyed.  Not everyone wants or cares if they look their age, older or younger.  Not everyone is concerned about age. We, who are lucky/blessed will live to be old.  

Some of us don't want to waste precious time on what we consider to be non-important to our happiness.

We are all different.  There is no right or wrong.  We are all free to choose what we see best for ourselves.

I will never understand why some women always have to sneak in a negative comment or two about the choice to not color gray hair.  Gray/ silver hair ladies don't really care what anyone else thinks. We are happy and tired of hearing negative comments about our choices.

So, color your hair if you must and enjoy your look and allow us to not color and enjoy our look too.  

The OP is happy and wanted to celebrate her decision and you just had to try to burst her bubble.  I don't understand that.

Respected Contributor

I never went grey. My hair turned white before I was 35 and I have never looked back or considered coloring.  My Dad had the most beautiful wavy white hair almost since I was both and I always loved it. Guess that's why I love mine too.  I've never wanted to change a thing and I get at least one compliment ever time I go out.     I'll always be white.

Respected Contributor

I guess you really wanted to make friends in this post. 

Respected Contributor

If I would go that gorgeous silver or white, I would stop coloring my hair in a heart beat.  But I have scattered, uneven gray that is not even salt and pepper.  I don't think it looks good.

Last year I did not color my hair for six months  and my hair was still more dark brown than gray.

My dad never grayed much and I think I got that gene from him.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I have no intention of deliberatly making myself look 20 years older, pale and washed out. Nope, not me, will never happen in my lifetime!

For myself I love being blonde but I have seen some really gorgeous women with grey hair starting with the model Carmen. Also take a look at Lilac Tree's photo on this very website. She looks beautiful. The other day I saw a beautiful woman at my hairdresser's with platinum grey hair. She was stunning. How old we look has a great deal to do with our complexion, carriage and how youthful we dress. 

Valued Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@JobGirl wrote:

Gray or silver hair can be beautiful-yes

but it is aging on any woman no matter how lovely she may be

Gray hair (forgetting the new temporay trend for some younger girls) has never or will ever be considered a youthful look-and thats not an insult

You can be gray and vibrant and spunky and feel youthful and be beautiful

Graying in most cases is a process that comes with the aging process

and makes ones overall apperance  look older no matter how pretty their face is

I will never get why people are in such denial over the simple fact that it makes women look older than they are -regardless of how attractive they may be

and before people start saying I'm not trying to look young -thats fine

and yes the wrong color can also age women -

its like anything else associated with old age -

That is your opinion and I am not in agreement.  For most people gray starts around age 30 if not before.  Many high school and college kids have had few gray hairs.

No one looks more youthful with aged skin and colored hair.  You aren't fooling anyone.  I know of no one who looks 20 years older or younger by coloring their hair or not.  There is more ways than just hair color to determine one's age. that's not denial, but reality.

I work with  kids who always ask my age.  I tell them the truth.  Often I hear, my grandmother is younger, but she looks older than you.  Sometimes I ask them if grandma has gray hair like me and most of the time, they say no.  Kids are honest and will tell you the truth.

And, there is NOTHING wrong with being older.  It's not a curse to be older or even look old.  It's a gift to be enjoyed.  Not everyone wants or cares if they look their age, older or younger.  Not everyone is concerned about age. We, who are lucky/blessed will live to be old.  

Some of us don't want to waste precious time on what we consider to be non-important to our happiness.

We are all different.  There is no right or wrong.  We are all free to choose what we see best for ourselves.

I will never understand why some women always have to sneak in a negative comment or two about the choice to not color gray hair.  Gray/ silver hair ladies don't really care what anyone else thinks. We are happy and tired of hearing negative comments about our choices.

So, color your hair if you must and enjoy your look and allow us to not color and enjoy our look too.  

The OP is happy and wanted to celebrate her decision and you just had to try to burst her bubble.  I don't understand that.

I'm not bursting her bubble I agreed with another poster

Obviously gray silver ladies dont care what anyone else thinks-so no bubble bursting

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why are all the 20 somethings bleaching their hair silver grey if it is so AGING and makes you look  20 years  Older???