Super Contributor

Re: I've let myself go naturally gray!

I also gave up the dyes and chemicals two years ago. I had colored my hair since I ws sixteen. In the perm years, I colored and permed. It's a wonder my hair didn't all fall out. Growing out the color was a short time, and before I knew it, I was grey/white. My hair is gorgeous, and I have to brag. It is soft, shiny, glistens, and always looks just right. I have had more people compliment me and stop me about the color and the cut than I ever had when I was paying lots of money to be fake. I love it. My husband loves it too. I have never been happier and felt better about myself. I am 73, and my gray hair makes me look younger. What a treat after so many years of color.

By the way, grey hair is "in." Young gals are getting their hair dyed grey! Go figure.

tea

Honored Contributor

It's a fact that hair which is being dyed or permed or both just starts to get fried looking from the chemicals.Hair that is not "treated" in this way tends to be soft & smooth and shiny.Definitely adds to an overall healthy look.

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@Shanus  I agree, dark hair on an older person does look harsh. Just wanted to say gray hair looks great with a current style haircut. It does not make a person look old, as long as it's not just hanging there or in a ponytail. I am getting ready to do it, wish me luck.

@panda1234  I do wish you all the luck in the world. It's a brave step you've taking. Are you going from dark hair or from blonde hair? Researched a plan of action? You can let roots grow out to about 4"-6" and get a short layered cut or to keep hair long, get highlights to blend in your greys. If you have access to a good stylist, ask for advice. I assume you read my "path". White roots w/ dark brown dyed hair for 40 yrs. Let the roots go for for about 3 months, stylist bleached/removed all dye until it was white to match my roots, deep conditioning treatment and since I wear my hair short, she just cut it shorter into a pixie. 2 haircuts later. All bleached areas are cut away & white hair is all mine. I took the easy way out. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Just recently we were at a party and my DH was sitting with a group of ladies - he seems to often have his "harem" of widows around him. There was a mixed bag of obviously dyed and natural grey haired ladies. I overheard him say that he loved the color of my hair when it was auburn & that was one reason he asked me out in the first place but now it is pure white he thinks it looks much prettier than hair that gets damaged by putting chemicals on it like perms and dyes. God Bless him.

My DH was not thrilled when I informed him I was letting my hair go to its natural white. His has been silver white for 15 yrs....double standard. After the process was done and he got used to not seeing me as a dark brunette for the 49 yrs. he'd known me, he now loves the white hair. He said it looks sophisticated & like I'm not trying to hide my age...& quickly added he didn't think it added years. Smart man! I do think that a sharp haircut and up to date makeup is the key to looking more youthful, but that's true w/  any color hair.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

It's a fact that hair which is being dyed or permed or both just starts to get fried looking from the chemicals.Hair that is not "treated" in this way tends to be soft & smooth and shiny.Definitely adds to an overall healthy look.

No, it's not "A fact". 

I will agree that perming hair too much can do a lot of damage. I will disagree that coloring hair automatically results in fried and dull hair.

I've colored my hair for years. I just amp up my natural dark auburn. My hair is thick, shiny and healthy. 

"Good" hair has a lot to do with genetics. If you were born with thin,  limp hair, there is little you can do to change it. Using good products helps to make the best of what you've got.

For every bad color job I've seen, there is a corresponding bad head of coarse, frizzy head of gray hair.

Honored Contributor

@GreenEyedGirl  I'll bet you look beautiful!  What matters is that you like it.  We all have to like/love ourselves or else how can we expect others to love/care about us...right?

It's nice to hear about happy people.  Thanks for taking the time to post!

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

No, it's not "A fact". 

I will agree that perming hair too much can do a lot of damage. I will disagree that coloring hair automatically results in fried and dull hair.

I've colored my hair for years. I just amp up my natural dark auburn. My hair is thick, shiny and healthy. 

"Good" hair has a lot to do with genetics. If you were born with thin,  limp hair, there is little you can do to change it. Using good products helps to make the best of what you've got.

For every bad color job I've seen, there is a corresponding bad head of coarse, frizzy head of gray hair.

I have very fine straight hair - texture or thickness  of hair has absolutely NOTHING to do with if the hair is healthy, shiny.

Honored Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

No, it's not "A fact". 

@Ms tyrion2  ITA. After 40 yrs. of coloring my hair, it wasn't damaged at all. In fact the color gave it body (coats the hair shaft) and shine. Now that my hair has no color, I deep 

condition just as often and still use Marula Oil and good quality products. 

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@151949

I have my hair dyed professionally.  It has never looked fried or dull.  I'm willing to bet it is every bit as soft & smooth and shiny as yours.  It's all about using the right products.

I see a lot of untreated hair that looks dull.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

No, it's not "A fact". 

I have very fine straight hair - texture or thickness  of hair has absolutely NOTHING to do with if the hair is healthy, shiny.

I didn't say it did. I said genetics determines your hair type.

I said color in hair does not automatically mean fried, dull hair just like bray doesn't always mean frizzy and dull.