Honored Contributor

Re: I've let myself go naturally gray!

I stopped coloring at age  50 and it was so liberating.  I'll never go back to dye.

i just tell everyone that I always to have platinum colored hair, and I do, though it 's still salt and pepper.

Honored Contributor

My hair came back gray after chemo.  It was very light, almost white.  I didn't mind it, but wasn't ready to commit to it permanently.  I didn't feel comfortable going back to work gray, so I colored it.  I plan on working another ten years.  When that time comes, I will stop coloring.

Honored Contributor

I have no intention of deliberatly making myself look 20 years older, pale and washed out. Nope, not me, will never happen in my lifetime!

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I stopped coloring at 63 by cutting it very short (DH called me Butch).  Now I wear it last my shoulders, down.  I get so many compliments with my silver/white hair.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I have no intention of deliberatly making myself look 20 years older, pale and washed out. Nope, not me, will never happen in my lifetime!

That's a pretty big assumption that anyone who doesn't color their hair looks washed out and 20 years older. I don't!

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is  silver white only I did not know it until I got Vertigo and could not really bend in any direction to color it. Love it.. all kinds of compliments.  Family trait... early white hair. 

Valued Contributor

Gray or silver hair can be beautiful-yes

but it is aging on any woman no matter how lovely she may be

Gray hair (forgetting the new temporay trend for some younger girls) has never or will ever be considered a youthful look-and thats not an insult

You can be gray and vibrant and spunky and feel youthful and be beautiful

Graying in most cases is a process that comes with the aging process

and makes ones overall apperance  look older no matter how pretty their face is

I will never get why people are in such denial over the simple fact that it makes women look older than they are -regardless of how attractive they may be

and before people start saying I'm not trying to look young -thats fine

and yes the wrong color can also age women -

its like anything else associated with old age -

Esteemed Contributor

@JobGirl wrote:

Gray or silver hair can be beautiful-yes

but it is aging on any woman no matter how lovely she may be

Gray hair (forgetting the new temporay trend for some younger girls) has never or will ever be considered a youthful look-and thats not an insult

You can be gray and vibrant and spunky and feel youthful and be beautiful

Graying in most cases is a process that comes with the aging process

and makes ones overall apperance  look older no matter how pretty their face is

I will never get why people are in such denial over the simple fact that it makes women look older than they are -regardless of how attractive they may be

and before people start saying I'm not trying to look young -thats fine

and yes the wrong color can also age women -

its like anything else associated with old age -

Actually ,I am sooooooo tired of everyone thinking I am my 60,plus yr old childrens kid  sister......................

Come on grey!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GreenEyedGirl,   I went salt & pepper in my late 50's and yes I received tons of compliments probably because my hair is healthy and shinny.  I am mid 60's now -- time flies.  BTW, I was told recently that gray hair is in.  ha!  Who would know?  I do NOT miss coloring my hair or having it colored; sitting in the chair waiting for color to work it's magic.  Now, I only shampoo, blow dry and go.  Sometimes I let my hair air dry on very hot days. I went gray because I wanted to see who I was at my age.   Good for you.  Welcome to the Silver Foxes!  lol  HeartCat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@GreenEyedGirl  Since I went silver in 2013 and stopped coloring, all I get is complemented  everywhere I go.....how pretty my hair is ETC.  I would never go back to the mess and expense of coloring....plus my hair now is virgin hair....no more chemicals! It is healthy!   It is just a good thing over all. Enjoy being a virgin again! 🤗