Super Contributor

I've let myself go naturally gray!

I took the plunge!  I was nervous about how it would look and how it would be received.  I'm 54.  I still work and am social - would I get weird looks about the change?  Would it make me look older?

I did it anyway, and I'm so pleased about how it looks!  And the weird thing is, I've been coloring my hair for fun (I get bored) since 25, and I've never gotten as many compliments on my hair as I do now.  I didn't expect that! 

So glad I did it!  If you're pondering it - go for it!

Honored Contributor

Re: I've let myself go naturally gray!

How did you deal with the roots?

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Congratulations!! Welcome to the Grey club. Yes, There is such a group online along with Grey Cafe. Like you, Love my natural color. Yes! Not only women compliment so do men. I never tell someone to go natural. Both choices are personal. Both choices wonderful.
Contributor

I recently did the same unintentionally.  Had my shorter hair highlighted and then went on vacay earlier in the year for a week in the sun.  All my hair was almost blonde and roots were white. What could be more perfect. Went to hairdresser twice for a cut and she said to leave it and eventually may try highlighting again for more texture as my grey is very soft. 

Honored Contributor

@GreenEyedGirl wrote:

I took the plunge!  I was nervous about how it would look and how it would be received.  I'm 54.  I still work and am social - would I get weird looks about the change?  Would it make me look older?

I did it anyway, and I'm so pleased about how it looks!  And the weird thing is, I've been coloring my hair for fun (I get bored) since 25, and I've never gotten as many compliments on my hair as I do now.  I didn't expect that! 

So glad I did it!  If you're pondering it - go for it!

Yay!! So glad you joined us...The Grey Foxes!!! I've been complimented more as well since going all white. I don't look older...the dark hair was quite harsh against my fair skin. Once you get used to seeing yourself in the mirror, you'll know it's the best decision you ever made...especially for the health of your hair. No more dye and chemicals!!! 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm so glad you like it!

I did the same thing 2 years ago. I had long hair and I got to a point where I didn't have time anymore to do anything with my hair so I was putting it in a ponytail more than anything else. I was just sick of it.

And I had to color my hair every 6 weeks. It grew so fast and ALL my roots were gray. It made a statement when my roots were showing, and not a good statement.

So I decided to not only allow it all to gray but I cut it off, SHORT.

I get so many compliments on the shine and color and so many people ask who I go to to get my hair done because the coloring is beautiful. LOL

All I can do is laugh and tell them its all natural.

Honored Contributor

Did this several years ago and do not regret it. Got so tired of sitting in the chair waiting for my hair to come up.

Respected Contributor

I did the same thing about 4 months ago and I had the same thoughts. But now that it's done I'm so glad that I did too. It's been so easy this summer - no worries of fadeout in the sun or pool. It's freeing!

Respected Contributor

I've given it some thought, but I guess I'm a big chicken. Maybe try it after the holidays when I'm not going anywhere or have company visiting.

Honored Contributor

@JB116 wrote:

I'm so glad you like it!

I did the same thing 2 years ago. I had long hair and I got to a point where I didn't have time anymore to do anything with my hair so i was putting it in a ponytail more than anything else. I was just sick of it.

And I had to color my hair every 6 weeks. It grew so fast and ALL my roots were gray. It made a statement when my toots were showing, and not a good statement.

So I decided to not only allow it all to gray but I cut t off, SHORT.

I get so many compliments on the shine and color and so many people ask who I go to to get my hair done because the coloring is beautiful. LOL

All I can do is laugh and tell them its all natural.

Good for you. I went the way of a very short cut (2" all over), too. All my bleached hair (dark to white) is gone now and after 2 short haircuts, it's all my own white hair.