Honored Contributor

I've Been Using Monistat Chafing Gel For a Primer

Still like it. Works great (like Smashbox), but, I think my skin needs a primer for dry skin now.  What drugstore brand would you suggest?

Thanks

Valued Contributor

Re: I've Been Using Monistat Chafing Gel For a Primer

I've never heard of this. Is this for oily skin?

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Still like it. Works great (like Smashbox), but, I think my skin needs a primer for dry skin now.  What drugstore brand would you suggest?

Thanks

Ewww.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@monicakm    I had to google this and see for myself if this was for real. Apparently it is. Sort of like when people were using Prep. H. for under eye bags. So If you go on You Tube  you can see Angie comparing Monistat chafing  to 2 other products and she shows her makeup after using these products. She compares all the ingredients and what these creams did for her. I watch a lot of her videos. She didn't recommend the Monistat for mature skin but said it might work for younger smother skin.  Anyway you learn something new everyday on these forums. 

Honored Contributor

"Monesta" as the women dubbed had a huge cult following about 15 years ago

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@ID2 

No ew it is not the yeast prep, it is a chafing gel used for things like "chub rub" 

I have tired it at times and it provided a very light base for you makeup 

@ID2 wrote:

@monicakm wrote:

Thanks

Ewww.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I don’t use a primer so I have no suggestions but I do remember reading about using the chafing gel for a primer on these boards several years ago. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've used both SB and the Monistat as primers. They work pretty good but to me the Monistat was a bit too 'slippery' and it didn't really grab on to my foundation like a primer should. 

Right now I'm using e.l.f. Poreless Putty Primer ($8)It's the bomb!!  People compare that to Tatcha's Silk Canvas Balm ($50) I use a flat-top buki brush to apply a thin layer of the Putty...you don't need much.  It's so hydrating (contains squalane, prevents moisture loss) that sometimes I just apply it to help keep my face feeling hydrated. I absolutely love it!  I always keep a backup, too. I found it at Walmart.

ETA - The original Putty primer gives a satin finish. There are two new Putty primers....matte (formulated for oily skin) and also a luminous. Available at elfCosmetics dot com. The original Putty is top-rated. elf is cruelty free.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it has silicone in it (hence the chafing effectiveness). I personally don't like silicone primers and look for ones w/ less slip especially in warmer weather. 

Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

Thanks

@monicakm   It's not drugstore, but Bobbi Brown's Vitamin Enriched Face Base is a lightweight moisturizer w/ a built in primer. I'm all for saving an extra step. It's now available on her site, for a short time, in supersize.